shame

Options
I have lost 23 pounds and have about sixty five more to go, I feel ashamed to tell anyone about my weight loss because I still have so much to go and I am still very large and I'm ashamed I ever got this big. I gained sixty pounds being pregnant and never lost any of it till now (my daughter is two now). Does anyone else feel that way? It's actually kind of annoying.

Replies

• SewManyBlessing47
    SewManyBlessing47 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Dont ever feel ashamed of anything. Be Happy no matter what challenges you face. Everything in life can be fix with prayer and motivation. Nothing is impossible. You done the hardest part by realizing a life change is needed. For you to join this group is a big step in the right direction. Dont worry about how long it took. I didnt like your topic name so here is your new topic name TRAIN. Lol. You will be Training for your new you. I cant wait to read your success stories.

P.S.: Life is in the power of the tongue. If you think positive, you get positive results but if you think negative, you get negative results.

Be Bless!!!!
  • bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't feel shame as such but sometimes embarrassed purely because I only have myself to blame for getting so fat! At the same time I do feel very proud that Iam doing it now and touch wood doing a good job!
  • sdowler1231
    sdowler1231 Posts: 15
    Options
    You should never feel ashamed for celebrating your victories! Those that are truly supportive and caring would want to congratulate you and continue to support you as you continue on your journey. The fact that you recognize that you needed to make a change and that you are actively taking reponsiblility and postive forward steps is an absolute reason to celebrate. NO ONE loses all of their weight at once - it is a "work in progress" and for any plan to be successful and sustainable, you have to set small, achievable goals to lead to the larger goal (this is goal setting 101) and you need to celebrate each step that you have accomplished. Those that can't accept their successes and openly share that they are happy with their progress, tend to give up, as they don't see the progress they think they should see because they set unrealistic expectations.
    Take a moment, share you success, bask in the glow of a job well done in hitting a goal, and then continue on to the next one. Appreciate the journey, not just the destination!
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just have to learn how to see things differently I suppose.
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've heard someone say looking behind causes depression and looking forward can cause anxiety. So, today, that's where you are and all you need to think about. I wish you all the best in dealing with those icky feelings that come up. So much of this weight loss journey is about dealing with those feelings that dog us. You can do this.....you are doing this.....and I say congratulations on your loss of 23 lbs. You should be rejoicing! By the way, the picture with your full smile is the cutest!
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder about being at goal and when I tell people I lost 130lbs they're going to think what a slob I was to have consumed enough to have been overweight by a margin of a healthy grown woman. I don't tell anyone how much I have to lose and so far no one has asked me if I've lost any weight but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to nod and smile without giving any numerical info.

So I guess, yeah, I feel that way too.
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do celebrate my victories with the people who are close to me. My husband, sister, and few friends. But I still feel bad about expressing things to my larger group of friends.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel ashamed....you are moving in the right direction....please feel free to add me for support...You are doing amazing....KEEP IT UP
  • bombkitty
    bombkitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's a personal journey, you don't have to share it with anyone unless you want to! I talk with my family and people on here, but never anyone else. People think everything is their business these days.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    To hell with what other people think.

You're doing it for yourself, I hope. If you're proud of your weight loss so far (and you should be), feel free to tell anyone about it. If they have a problem with it, and can't realize how much of a challenge it is, then oh well.
  • sarahthorny
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I was at the ~20lb loss mark. No matter how much you have to loose and what percentage of your goal you're at ~20lbs is AMAZING!!! Be proud of that and celebrate the success you're having...and will continue to have. For me, my issue right now is getting started and then once I'm started keeping with it. What tips do you have to keep with it to get to ~20lbs loss?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 pounds and have about sixty five more to go, I feel ashamed to tell anyone about my weight loss because I still have so much to go and I am still very large and I'm ashamed I ever got this big. I gained sixty pounds being pregnant and never lost any of it till now (my daughter is two now). Does anyone else feel that way? It's actually kind of annoying.

I"ve got almost the same amount to lose. I developed insulin resistance about 8 years ago. I was trying to lose 20 pounds or so, and instead gained 30 pounds--while on weight watchers AND working out at Curves 3x a week! My doc told me to go low carb for 2 months before determining if I needed medication. So during that time I lost 15-20 pounds and got pregnant ( I hadn't been on birth control is 16 months...). I was stuck with about 25 pounds of baby weight for the next few years. Finally I started going to the gym and working out, trying to lose that 25 pounds...and my 19month old had a freak accident and broke his leg--I couldn't go to the gym for 5 weeks while he was in a body cast. Afterwards, I just kinda lost my motivation--no doubt I was depressed. Over the last 4 years, another 50-55 pounds has crept on...

After working out for 3 months and only losing 7 pounds, I assume that the insulin resistance is back. I went back on my low carb diet 2 weeks ago. I lost almost 5 pounds the first week, and today is the weigh in to see how much I lost the second week--hoping to see a good number!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed. Use the weight you used to be, the weight you have lost and the weight you have to lose as motivation. Think 'I will never be that big again, I am now in control'. You've already lost a 1/4 of your weight goal. That is AWESOME! Put your head down and work your butt off to get to the halfway mark, lift your head up and amaze at what you've achieved. Well done so far, keep at it.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pix on your profile. Wow! That side-by-side...the difference from Feb to April! You are doing great! Shake that shame off your shoulders! The past is the past. You can't change it. Whatever got you, or anybody else, to the weight you/they are now...well, that was then. This is NOW!! You are making progress and it definately is showing!! I think you're doing great! Don't be ashamed, be proud of what you are doing to get healthy and fit!! :flowerforyou: