Muscle Growth in Women

Options
Thought of sharing this information that I have read to address some issues especially on women who are genetically gifted to "bulk up" very quickly. Many of us have confused gaining muscle with bulking up. This article will explain it all:

Strength training for women is a source of misconception and controversy. Some women struggle to gain muscle, while others do everything they can to avoid "bulking up" while still remaining fit. The key to tailoring your workout program and accomplishing your goals is understanding the factors that contribute to muscle growth in women.

MISCONCEPTIONS
One myth surrounding muscle growth in women is that all women lack the amount of testosterone needed to cause significant muscle development. In truth, every woman is different; while women have significantly less testosterone than men and most will not build muscle as easily as men, many women are still capable of building significant muscle mass. The opposite myth is that women should not lift weights, or should avoid heavy weights, because they will bulk up or lose flexibility. There are many benefits in strength training for women and women can usually avoid undesirable results by modifying their workout routines.

PHYSIOLOGY OF MUSCLE GROWTH
A muscle increases in mass when it is physically challenged beyond its current capacity. This principle is called "overloading," which results in tearing of the muscle fibers. The muscle becomes stronger and larger by rebuilding these torn muscle fibers to handle a greater workload. Muscle fibers contain proteins that cause them to contract when exposed to resistance. The number of proteins in a muscle is increased during the rebuilding process that results from overload; these added proteins make the muscle bigger and stronger.

Testosterone is a hormone present in much higher concentrations in men than in women that strongly promotes protein synthesis, which leads to muscle growth. This is the primary reason that men generally build muscle more easily than women. However, the specific amounts of testosterone and other hormones in the body that influence muscle growth vary from person to person in both genders. The presence of more amino acids in the body, such as through increasing dietary protein consumption, can also promote the protein synthesis that leads to muscle growth.

FACTORS INFLUENCING MUSCLE GROWTH
A woman's genetic makeup is primarily responsible for determining how easily she will develop muscle mass. A good clue in determining whether you will gain muscle mass easily is your body type. The three major body types are the endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph. Endomorphs tend to be curvy and have a rounder body shape, mesomorphs tend to be more muscular and have a classic "athletic" build and ectomorphs tend to be slim and linear in shape. Mesomorphs are most likely to gain muscle easily through strength training. Endomorphs usually need to lose body fat to see a change in their body shape, and ectomorphs may find it difficult to gain muscle mass even with strength training, but can usually gain muscle strength.

Good nutrition optimizes any exercise effort, and strength training is no different. Making sure you get enough lean protein and enough total calories is important if gaining muscle mass is your goal.

In addition, the layer of fat stored beneath the skin can camouflage muscle growth, and because women tend to have more body fat than men, changes in muscle mass can be less noticeable in women.

DESIGNING THE RIGHT STRENGTH TRAINING PROGRAM
Tailoring an exercise program to promote or minimize muscle growth is as simple as following the traditional wisdom on resistance training: Lifting heavier weights and reaching muscle fatigue in fewer repetitions promotes muscle growth and strength gains, while lifting lighter weights for more repetitions promotes muscular endurance and minimizes increases in muscle size. In addition, women hoping to increase muscle mass should do more isolated exercises (exercises that target one or two particular muscle groups), while women hoping to get stronger without gaining significant size should focus primarily on integrated, full-body resistance movements. Many Pilates and Power Yoga exercises are good examples of this.
A good strength training program consists of exercises for all major muscle groups at least two days per week, with at least one day of rest or non-resistance exercise (such as cardio) in between strength workouts.

BENEFITS OF STRONGER MUSCLES
Stronger muscles, aside from making everyday or athletic activities easier, prevent injuries and promote the long-term health of bones and joints. Increased muscle mass also increases resting metabolism, making it easier to burn calories and maintain a healthy body weight. Strength training exercises themselves burn calories, strengthen bones, and are generally part of a healthy, active lifestyle. Some resistance exercises also improve balance and coordination.

References
American Council on Exercise: How Women Build Muscle
Richard Joshua Hernandez, B.S. and Len Kravitz, Ph.D.: The Mystery of Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/73277-muscle-growth-women/#ixzz1vUCHylmO

So generally speaking, women are still capable of building significant muscle mass & some who are genetically predisposed may do gain it quickly than most women can but still they cannot get big, bulky muscles like a man can. Not to mention that these women are rare to find but even if you think that "you're one of them" still no need to worry all about it.

Replies

• vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump. I could read this once in a while when in doubt. Thanks :p
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting...im one of those woman with A LOT of muscle, a mesomorph no doubt. Im starting NROWLFW and I know that normal woman can't bulk up....but I was a bit worried about myself....because I don't have to workout at all and my muscles are still huge. But I want to lift heavy to get stronger and help with the weight loss.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, will read in detail later
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting...im one of those woman with A LOT of muscle, a mesomorph no doubt. Im starting NROWLFW and I know that normal woman can't bulk up....but I was a bit worried about myself....because I don't have to workout at all and my muscles are still huge. But I want to lift heavy to get stronger and help with the weight loss.

I am the same as you here, no trouble bulking (yay, i think? lol) What i've found is that the fat on top of the muscle is whats making your arms etc look bigger, as i've been losing the fat from my arms i'm less concerned about turning into the hulk :laugh:
    Options

I'm a mesomorph too according to my physical assessment in a gym & I always been strong & have more muscular build than other girls when as a kid. I lift heavy but more focused on compound exercises to target multiple muscles. However for some reasons I have hard time to gain muscle. We may have the genetics to gain more easily than most women can but it only plays a very minor role. The 80% majority of it is focused on diet while 20% is exercise. Generally body builders have specific workout programs & do isolation exercises or body part split workouts coupled with a very strict diet (plus added "help" for female body builders) to get really huge muscles.

Also I agree that it is the fat that actually makes us "bulky". Most of us are trying to build muscle without actually losing body fat. When we gain muscle, there will be some fat gains along with it so which is why it makes us look bigger but once you lose the fat (aka cutting phase) while retaining muscle, you will find yourself getting smaller & more defined without getting bulky.
    Options
    oops sorry double post
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Great find. Thanks for sharing.