Exercising+diet = not losing enough

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    As someone else said.. You didn't put it on over night, so you won't lose it over night!

Even for a 160 pound over weight person, 4.4 pounds a week sounds a bit high.. and 6-7 pounds a week is just plain ridiculous.

Males alone need a minimum of 1800 calories a day or something like that... and the fact that you are eating less then 1200 is scary.
  • deadpoet87
    deadpoet87 Posts: 11
    Options
    I had that kinda problem before, thinking if I eat only 800 calories and exercise, then I'll lose more. But that's just bull...

i up my intake to 1350 and make sure I am eating more than at least 1200 calories... I am currently do a lot of weight lift and cardio. and I down from 75 kg to 73 now. within 2 weeks. But losing weight varies between individuals. don't set yourself too high of a lost.. I always tell myself, I am aiming for 72 kg not 52 kg. once I reached 72kg, i wanna aim for 71kg. so.... give yourself one step at a time. because if you don't give yourself one step at a time, you'll end up being frustrated and give up.

And weight loss doesn't happen overnight. get that out of your head. I took 4 years to get to where i am. Slow I know, but it's trial and error and i Learned along the way.

Thanks Carolinz, just wondering how did you derive that 1350 calories as a gauge? What kind of cardio are you doing as well?
  • deadpoet87
    Options
    I also want to add... I also had a 170lbs to lose or so. I already dropped over 100lbs. I tried the super low calorie thing, didn't work. You want weight loss for a life time, not a quick fix.

A life time weight loss strategy is built on habits. I propose this question to you, "If a person lost 30lbs in a month, and another lost 30lbs in 4 months, who has stronger habits?" The person who has practiced more. They're more likely to keep it off.

Thanks Pu, did you take note how much you calories you were taking minimum during the beginning of the weight loss?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i have the mindset that deficit calories and increased exercise can increase metabolism rate to burn faster. so u think it dont work with people who are overweight 160 lbs?

It might work over time, but it's usually a combination of fat and muscle loss.. Losing muscle is the last the thing you want to do. So get the quick weight loss out of your head, it doesn't work like that. Unless you want to be skinny fat (have no muscle and extra fat)

Don't think OP would lose too much muscle if he strength trained as has a lot of fat. 1200 definitely too low.

If he's eating less than 1200 calories, his body will go into starvation mode and start to cannibalize the muscle he's working so hard to build.

He's also not said if those less than 1200 calories are before or after he takes the calories burned during his "2 hours of exercise per day" into account. If it's after and includes eating back for those, it's still low, but it's better than if it's not. If it's 1200 calories disregarding the calories burned... He is just asking for trouble and extreme health issues as he's potentially asking his body to operate at a calorie deficit every day. At that point his body eating his muscle will be the least of his worries.
  • becfrogs
    becfrogs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I set small 20lb goals so that my big goal doesn't feel unachievable. 160 lbs is alot to lose but breaking it up into 8 small goals sounds much easier!! Good luck!!
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dude, you may not like my post on this, and normally I wouldn't respond to something along these lines. I'm a big believer in live and let live, allow people to do what they want, it's their life. However, the rapid weight loss you want to achieve is only possible for a short time. Your body will rebel. I don't think anybody needs to be a doctor or nutritionist to know that. I've lost 90lbs over a 5 year period. I may even lose another 10 this year, I haven't decided yet if that's what I want to do or not.

This weight loss thing and getting healthier are wonderful goals for people, but its not a race. It's more of a tortoise thing. You said in one of your reply posts that you're 25. Well, it took 25 years to get to where you are in terms of body composition, do you think your body will let you change it more rapidly in the other direction? I'd stick the joke in here about the old bull, young bull, but it's a little blue for a message board. E-mail me if you want to hear it.....

When you're 75 to 100 lbs overweight, like I and many others were, the first 25lbs comes of pretty rapidly anyway. Loose skin is an issue, but it will tighten up all on its own over time as it is very elastic. Make simple substitutions in your diet, change your food choices, exercise a little more, like walking or doing some push ups. Let your body adapt, let yourself adapt. Make this a new life, not a "diet". Educate yourself on nutrition and exercise, find something you personally like to do for movement and strength. Everybody finds something, eventually, that turns their crank.

Personally, it took me from the ages of 25 to 38 to get really out of shape, so 13 years. It took me 5 to get back to where (actually a little beyond!) where I was at 25, approximately a 1/3 of the time. They way I looked at it was simply, "I have the rest of my life to live in a healthier way".

A person a lot wiser than me once said, "Remember, the operative word in "Crash Diet" is CRASH."

Best of luck young bull.

:glasses: :love: :love:
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    Yu need to do some research or speak to a medical professional before you decide how many calories your body needs. Your mindset is incorrect. Decreased calories below what your body needs (and there is no way it's 800 calories), lowers your metabolism. Your body is not stupid, if you starve it - it will slow down the burn significantly and it will take a major boost to speed it back up! Exercising on top of that, especially if vigorously can lead to a host of medical problems, as your body will start to freak out when it has no fuel. Do some investigating and talk to a doctor - having to lose over hundred pounds, you will be in this for a while - and if you have an obese person's mindset/thinking/eating pattern, this is a lifetime lifestyle. BTW you are losing weight, you are just not losing an amount you want to or think is possible, which it is not. I have done medically supervised super low calorie diets and even those require you to consume 1200 calories a day as a female. And might I add...THEY DON'T WORK.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    4 lbs a week is okay, but having to lose 160 lbs is so far away. I thought if i can lose 6-7 lbs a week can speed up the process. anyways, like u said, i think its better to correct bad behavior first which can lead to a long term healthy lifestyle than to lose alot and no maintenance. any ideas about loose skin? im 25 male btw.

My mouth is on the floor. I'm not trying to be ugly here, but who told you that losing so much, so fast is even healthy?? Hopefully you want to make life style changes you can stick with. Remember, the harder you make this for yourself, the less likely you are going to stick with it. Now as to your calories....you are eating entirely to little! You're not eating at your BMR. Do you even know what your TDEE or BMR are? Send me a message, and I'll be glad to help!!!
  • deadpoet87
    Options
    Dude, you may not like my post on this, and normally I wouldn't respond to something along these lines. I'm a big believer in live and let live, allow people to do what they want, it's their life. However, the rapid weight loss you want to achieve is only possible for a short time. Your body will rebel. I don't think anybody needs to be a doctor or nutritionist to know that. I've lost 90lbs over a 5 year period. I may even lose another 10 this year, I haven't decided yet if that's what I want to do or not.

This weight loss thing and getting healthier are wonderful goals for people, but its not a race. It's more of a tortoise thing. You said in one of your reply posts that you're 25. Well, it took 25 years to get to where you are in terms of body composition, do you think your body will let you change it more rapidly in the other direction? I'd stick the joke in here about the old bull, young bull, but it's a little blue for a message board. E-mail me if you want to hear it.....

When you're 75 to 100 lbs overweight, like I and many others were, the first 25lbs comes of pretty rapidly anyway. Loose skin is an issue, but it will tighten up all on its own over time as it is very elastic. Make simple substitutions in your diet, change your food choices, exercise a little more, like walking or doing some push ups. Let your body adapt, let yourself adapt. Make this a new life, not a "diet". Educate yourself on nutrition and exercise, find something you personally like to do for movement and strength. Everybody finds something, eventually, that turns their crank.

Personally, it took me from the ages of 25 to 38 to get really out of shape, so 13 years. It took me 5 to get back to where (actually a little beyond!) where I was at 25, approximately a 1/3 of the time. They way I looked at it was simply, "I have the rest of my life to live in a healthier way".

A person a lot wiser than me once said, "Remember, the operative word in "Crash Diet" is CRASH."

Best of luck young bull.

Thanks Grant, its good to hear what you said. I guess, as much as the wait to weightloss can be quite tiring, it is the approach to a healthy and balance that is essential. Like you said, it's not a challenge for time but a journey through time for change. Perhaps one of the hardest thing I am facing is, the current group of friends I have who are currently with me in this weightloss journey. (several are over 100 lbs), but somehow the pounds just seem to drop off easy for them with minimal exercise but just through meal replacement. That got me thinking, here i am eating much lesser than them, with meal replacement & vigorous cardio (swimming 1 hour min), but I am not shedding as much as them. They are losing 8 lbs per week.

But again, weightloss result varies on individuals. If my body is taking a longer time, but at better returns in the long run then it will be worth it.

Thanks again grant!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more. Your body needs fuel. Make sure you are making the right food choices...less sodium and sugar, more vegetables, lean protein and complex carbs.

Slow and steady wins the race btw....miracles don't happen over night. Even if you don't see huge changes in your body there are still huge changes taking place inside. Eating right and exercise is more than just about losing some pounds, it is beneficial to all your organs and skin too. Keep it up and you'll see a difference.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more. Your body needs fuel. Make sure you are making the right food choices...less sodium and sugar, more vegetables, lean protein and complex carbs.

Slow and steady wins the race btw....miracles don't happen over night. Even if you don't see huge changes in your body there are still huge changes taking place inside. Eating right and exercise is more than just about losing some pounds, it is beneficial to all your organs and skin too. Keep it up and you'll see a difference.

P.S. I was watching a trainer on tv recently. He said that the faster you drop it the faster it is to pick it back up. He showed it visually by dropping a book and then picking it up. It is very true... If we go slow and steady then it is more likely that we will keep it off in the long run.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    4 lbs a week is okay, but having to lose 160 lbs is so far away. I thought if i can lose 6-7 lbs a week can speed up the process. anyways, like u said, i think its better to correct bad behavior first which can lead to a long term healthy lifestyle than to lose alot and no maintenance. any ideas about loose skin? im 25 male btw.

I know it feels like a long way when you start out, but it's not that bad. It takes a little time and a lot of patience. But why suffer and / or hurt yourself in the process?

When I was at my heaviest, light exercise and a healthy diet with a good intake was all I needed to drop quite significant weight really quite fast. I lose slower now, but back then I just had to not eat junk really, and the weight dropped off.
  • deadpoet87
    Options
    Starting with your end weight goal in mind is great, but it can make it really frustrating when you don't see big weight loses every week. I found it easier to break my total down into smaller, easier to achieve sizes. Pick a date a few months in the future (your birthday, a big night out you are attending, a holiday) and give yourself a realistic weight lose goal to achieve.

Once you have got to that date set yourself another goal a few months in the future, I find this helps for a few reasons, the goals are easier to achieve, you work hard over that period of time as you want to look better for a specific reason.

You should reward yourself in someway at that point in time, I find buying something new to wear for the event that I'm going to is a great reward, you get to go out and buy something that is a smaller size than you've been for years, I'd really recommend doing something as it helps you see how well you are doing, which in turn keeps you motivated.

Another small point, I'd suggest getting someone to take measurements for you, there will be weeks were you could struggle to lose weight (don't worry this is normal), but you could be losing inches\cm, seeing something move in the right direction can help.

I've been trying to lose weight since the beginning of this year the points above are some of the things that has made it easier for me to keep focused, I hope that they help you.

Mandy :smile:

Ah yes, buying smaller sizes clothes! I will definitely try that. Thanks Mandy
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yeah, you're def not eating enough. As an ex athlete you should have been aware of the harm you were doing to your body! Up your calories if you must work out that much. My guess is you are gonna have to at least double what you were eating if you were eating below 1200 and working out for 2 hours. Have patience because you are gonna have to fix your metabolism first before you start loosing.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!!!

Best of luck young bull.

this!!!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Great advice given to you, everyone here has your best interest at heart and we want to see you lose the weight and most importantly, keep it off. Up your calories and you will feel so much better. Reward yourself every 10 pounds or so to help you with motivation and something to look forward to.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I've lost alot and still got another 100 or so I want to do. I approach things differently. To me it's not the number on the scale that matters. It's my overall health and well being. I focus on the other things. Fitness level, how clothes feel, things like that.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Best of luck young bull.

Great post, I agree. It took me a long time to lose 42lbs but I've managed to keep them off thru diet/exercise. I'm in better shape at 57 than I've been in years.

As someone wise said "I have the rest of my life to live in a healthier way". :)
  • deadpoet87
    Options
    yeah, you're def not eating enough. As an ex athlete you should have been aware of the harm you were doing to your body! Up your calories if you must work out that much. My guess is you are gonna have to at least double what you were eating if you were eating below 1200 and working out for 2 hours. Have patience because you are gonna have to fix your metabolism first before you start loosing.

I was a cross-country runner back in my teens. I have never been overweight throughout my teenage years, always within the range of 130-140 and i understood that since i was running 4 times a week, 7 miles min, I was taking around 2500 calories of wholemeal grains and plenty of white meat back then. But when things got out of hand through the years due to history of heatstroke and injury (calcium buildup in knee), my weight began to pile up. So when I decided to start swimming and change my lifestyle again for weightloss, the only thing that made sense to me was to go on super low calories intake with solid cardio.

What do you mean by fixing my metabolism rate?

Thanks
  • deadpoet87
    Options
    Great advice given to you, everyone here has your best interest at heart and we want to see you lose the weight and most importantly, keep it off. Up your calories and you will feel so much better. Reward yourself every 10 pounds or so to help you with motivation and something to look forward to.

I totally agree with you. It seems super calorie diet is just bull. thanks