Newbie - 2 months til holiday! need help!

Options
Hi everyone, i have just joined MFP as have been trying to lose the weight ive gained and am failing miserably!

Im 5"1 and currently 142lbs :-( i would like to lose 20lbs for my goal weight, but im going on holiday in August and really want to try and look my best and feel better about being in swimwear by then.

Has anyone got any tips for sticking to losing weight? im feeling so down lately and hate looking at myself in the mirror.

I would really appreciate some support :-)

Thanks for reading

Replies

• ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm going on holiday at the end of August (so roughly have 3 months to lose weight) and I want to lose 27lbs.

I'll lurk here to see what advice is given :)
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm new too, and trying to get in shape.

I've thought about it, and that's been my problem too. Trying to find the motivation to stick to it, and keep motivated. I think it's important to set realistic goals, as well as having smaller, target goals along the way. Because when you get to long term goals, when you're not getting there fast enough, it's very disappointing. So setting short term goals is important.

My 16kg is my current long term goal, though I have set up as a smaller goal, trying to lose about 4-5kg per month. Which should be possible given my height to weight ratio. However, that gets harder as time goes by.

I'm still trying to figure out how the site works, but I'll add you :D
  • leannerob1984
    leannerob1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my motivation is the fact that my clothes are getting abit too tight and i really dont want to buy a bigger size, to me that is like admitting defeat!

Im finding it especially hard to lose the weight now as i have had problems with my eating before, it took me a while to get better and to not rely on anything. Even though the weight gain is a good thing in terms of my health im struggling to be OK with it and want to do lose weight the right way and not get sucked in to the place i was in a year ago.

I think your idea of smaller targets would work well Hanneberries, otherwise i think we are so focused on losing X amount of weight and are discouraged when we look in the mirror and are not magically that size!

Good luck everyone!
  • wattleneurotic
    Options
    Hi :) I'm new too, and 5'1 (though I do like to add an extra half on to that!) trying to lose a bit of weight.

I agree that smaller targets on a month to month basis (and maybe week to week) are a good idea, I think they keep you motivated, because if you just have one huge target it seems so daunting and so very far away.

I would be happy to lend some support. Going to add you. Good luck with reaching your goal!