TDEE & BMR

Options
After reading several posts over the weekend re eating more to lose and the ongoing battle of the 1200 or less crowd, I've decided to go with my BMR, which isn't much higher than 1200, about 130 cals more, because IMO I'm losing too much weight too fast. My goal was to lose 1 lb a week and I losing 2 or more. I haven't reached my weigh day, but I've already lost 2 lbs and at this rate will be more by Wed.

Anyway, here is my question if someone could help, where does TDEE come in? Mine is 2090. How do I factor that into the 1320 I plan on eating? Also, one website (cordianet.com) says I'm supposed to be 117 pounds @ 5'4" - that seems way too skinny. At my lowest weight I weighed 120 and that was starving myself in HS.

I'm confused, any help clarifying is much appreciated. Happy Monday!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    don't go by ideal weights. Everyone is different, has a different frame and ect.

TDEE is what your body burns daily. Eating less than your TDEE will help you lose weight.
    If you want eat 15-20% less than your TDEE 1776 or 1672 daily and don't worry about putting your exercise calories in.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Simple enough :) Thanks for your reply.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    After reading several posts over the weekend re eating more to lose and the ongoing battle of the 1200 or less crowd, I've decided to go with my BMR, which isn't much higher than 1200, about 130 cals more, because IMO I'm losing too much weight too fast. My goal was to lose 1 lb a week and I losing 2 or more. I haven't reached my weigh day, but I've already lost 2 lbs and at this rate will be more by Wed.

Anyway, here is my question if someone could help, where does TDEE come in? Mine is 2090. How do I factor that into the 1320 I plan on eating? Also, one website (cordianet.com) says I'm supposed to be 117 pounds @ 5'4" - that seems way too skinny. At my lowest weight I weighed 120 and that was starving myself in HS.

I try to make it a point to eat nowhere near my bmr. If your only eating enough to satisfy your organs while unconcious, your not eating enough imo. I net my calculated tdee to get to goal. Most people take a cut of that (usually still hundreds above their bmr). If you have it set to your bmr im crossing my fingers that you intend to cross red numbers every day
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    lol, that's why I said I'm confused. I thought eating BMR WAS upping my calorie intake and then I have this other number 2090 which I might enjoy eating but would put my family in the poor house if I ate that much. I was thinking I'd up my intake gradually. I appreciate where you are comig from though, I guess this is where peanut butter might help me out. I used to drink 2090 in beer but those days are long gone.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had to use some peanut butter to get up to my TDEE -15% today, though today is my first day with this. It makes sense and seems easier, I was worried at what would happen when I was at goal, I don't want to be existing on 1200 calories a day forever!!

I will give this two months and then reassess, they say that there may be a gain to start off with, so best I get this over and done with ASAP ;) My TDEE is 2156
  • MST318
    MST318 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This has got me completely confused as well. I have been eating between 1200-1400 calories a day with about 900-1100 net and not losing any weight. Although it makes sense to increase caloric intake to "fuel" the body, I'm not sure exactly what that means. My BMR is 1727 and my TDEE is 2590. Sooooo...which number do I go by? Both seem extremely high for me...:-\
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Although it makes sense to increase caloric intake to "fuel" the body, I'm not sure exactly what that means.
    It means eat a lot to provide energy for exercising. Or conversely do a lot of exercise so you can eat a lot.
  • MST318
    MST318 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So should I base my caloric intake closer to my BMR (1727) or my TDEE (2590) Both of these seem rather high. [29 yr old, 5'4 female)
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This has got me completely confused as well. I have been eating between 1200-1400 calories a day with about 900-1100 net and not losing any weight. Although it makes sense to increase caloric intake to "fuel" the body, I'm not sure exactly what that means. My BMR is 1727 and my TDEE is 2590. Sooooo...which number do I go by? Both seem extremely high for me...:-\

If you're netting 1100, you're intake is way less than your resting metabolism, so your body thinks it's starving. Your BMR is what your personal body requires to keep itself alive - 1200 net is a recognised minimum to keep your body from trying to hold on to everything to avoid dying, and you calculated yours at 1727. By the numbers you provide, you're eating 600+ calories LESS than your body needs to keep your brain, heart, and lungs functional, so your body is dropping your metabolism further. Does that make sense?

Example:
    I'm 5'7", work at a desk all day, but work out pretty regularly (3-5x/ week, depending on my week). My BMR is roughly 1460-1470, depending on the calculation, and my TDEE is figured around 2100. I shoot to net around 1600/ day, because that meets my BMR needs and is a deficit from my TDEE, but not so low that my body freaks out and hangs on to its fat stores.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Remember calculating exercise is really difficult
    When working our TDEE out we shouldn't put in hard exercise if it's simply just 1 work out a day for 6 days, hard workout is hard not just 30 minutes aerobics etc

I eat 100 calories over my BMR I exercise 6 days a week but one 45-60 minute intense Zumba session
    I've a fitbit so see what i burn a day

I'm aiming at -20% my TDEE

I never eat exercise calories

If your finances are low as mine are once a month buy a protein shake and as said peanut butter
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2090, a goal of one pound per week would have put you at 1590 net. Also, if your BMR is 1330 then why is your TDEE so much higher? Are you actually that active or are you including your exercise in that figure?
  • Icandoit66
    Icandoit66 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    lol, that's why I said I'm confused. I thought eating BMR WAS upping my calorie intake and then I have this other number 2090 which I might enjoy eating but would put my family in the poor house if I ate that much. I was thinking I'd up my intake gradually. I appreciate where you are comig from though, I guess this is where peanut butter might help me out. I used to drink 2090 in beer but those days are long gone.

I've only really gotten into peanut butter lately. Not a huge fan of the natural stuff, and the kraft crunchy stuff has a bunch of crap in it (not that I don't eat it, I had some today for breakfast http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/604069-28g-protein-chocolate-pancake-in-an-avocado). There's lots of high cal healthy stuff though. I've made bean salads, spinach salads, and sandwiches over 500 easy plus the sides. If I can manage 1200 calorie breakfasts believe me you don't need to depend on peanut butter to get the job done.

Examples (not to mention you can add things to many of these)

1/2 cup of quinoa - 320 cals
    avocado - 300 cals
    large banana - 200
    1/4th cup steel cut oats (I use it as granola in yogurt) - 170
    cup of whole milk - 150
    oz pumpkin seeds - 120
    sesame seeds 2 tsp - 100 cals
    Whole egg - 85 cals
    100 gram greek yogurt - 80

http://www.livestrong.com/article/83546-high-calorie-whole-foods/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So should I base my caloric intake closer to my BMR (1727) or my TDEE (2590) Both of these seem rather high. [29 yr old, 5'4 female)

If your average total daily energy expenditure is really 2590 then about 2000 calories a day of eating should give you a sensible loss rate. If not losing after 4 weeks, try 1800 instead.

The ratio of 2590 / 1727 suggests you have included exercise in the TDEE which is fine. Use custom goals on here to set your target and don't log the exercise (otherwise it ramps up your food goal).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I try to make it a point to eat nowhere near my bmr. If your only eating enough to satisfy your organs while unconcious, your not eating enough imo. I net my calculated tdee to get to goal. Most people take a cut of that (usually still hundreds above their bmr). If you have it set to your bmr im crossing my fingers that you intend to cross red numbers every day

If you're netting your CURRENT TDEE you won't lose. Did you mean netting your goal TDEE?
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by how to calculate tdee , I cycle for an hour each day (2 X 32 mins) 5 days a week , so I chose moderate activity. The rest of my day is sedentery. I weigh 303lbs , I am 49 years old and I am 5'11" tall. The calculator put my TDEE as 3933 . I calculated my BMI to be 42.2 and BMR 2536. Do these figures sound right ? MFP gives me 1880 calories per day
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by how to calculate tdee , I cycle for an hour each day (2 X 32 mins) 5 days a week , so I chose moderate activity. The rest of my day is sedentery. I weigh 303lbs , I am 49 years old and I am 5'11" tall. The calculator put my TDEE as 3933 . I calculated my BMI to be 42.2 and BMR 2536. Do these figures sound right ? MFP gives me 1880 calories per day

MFP is giving far too few calories. This site is great at helping figure out that golden number http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I took the liberty of doing it for you and found that you should be eating roughly 2900 per day to lose about 1.5 a week.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that really sounds a lot :)
  • CoderGal
    Options

If you're netting your CURRENT TDEE you won't lose. Did you mean netting your goal TDEE?
    Nope, I net my current. The calculations are not exact, so I can eat more then what it says, I was loosing a lb a week eating my TDEE up to my goal. I've been netting ~TDEE+a few hundred lately to maintain.

There was a scientific paper published based on the quantification of the effect of energy imbalance on bodyweight. The authors of this study made this addorable little calculator that lets you play with all the numbers mentioned above. They take the changes in the human metabolism into account, looking at the fact that a 3500 calorie deficit equaling 1 lb of weight loss isn't that percise.

Study: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)60812-X/fulltext
    Calc: http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/