Cycling...

Options
VballLeash
VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
Hello All! ...

I just got a rode bike and I was hoping maybe some of you could help me out a bit...

I wear a heart rate moniter and it said that I burned 586 calories in an hour. I feel like thats a lot because I know biking (well I thought) burns less than running. I am in good cardio shape from running so I figured I would burn less. I was spinning the whole time but does this seem right?!! I don't think I'm going super fast I'm just starting and there weren't many big hills.. My hrm has to be right I thought (polar 6)! Also... I've heard time and time again that riding makes your legs big, this is a myth right? cause all the cyclers I see have lean legs not bulky at all, sorry I know dumb question but I am a tad worried... thanks everyone, all input in appreciated! :happy:

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, for an hour ride that is a bit hilly I burn around 600 something, so your reading sounds right for a non hilly ride.

I love cycling because it's great exercise but it's something I enjoy and I think it burns a very decent amount of calories. Granted I am not a super serious rider, at least not like the people where I ride with the road bikes and the snazzy outfits and helmets.....but I certainly don't ride leisurely either and I've been doing it for a year and my legs have not gotten bulky.
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    Honestly, I question the accuracy of mine as well. I burn waaaay less in an hour run than it says when I ride for an hour and running is harder for me. In fact my hr monitor reflects anywhere from 800-1100 for an hour. I'm seriously doubting that.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I question the accuracy of mine as well. I burn waaaay less in an hour run than it says when I ride for an hour and running is harder for me. In fact my hr monitor reflects anywhere from 800-1100 for an hour. I'm seriously doubting that.

Yea thats how I feel... I know that they say you can burn around 600 calories in a spin class but I thought it was different on the road...

• hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello All! ...

I just got a rode bike and I was hoping maybe some of you could help me out a bit...

I wear a heart rate moniter and it said that I burned 586 calories in an hour. I feel like thats a lot because I know biking (well I thought) burns less than running. I am in good cardio shape from running so I figured I would burn less. I was spinning the whole time but does this seem right?!! I don't think I'm going super fast I'm just starting and there weren't many big hills.. My hrm has to be right I thought (polar 6)! Also... I've heard time and time again that riding makes your legs big, this is a myth right? cause all the cyclers I see have lean legs not bulky at all, sorry I know dumb question but I am a tad worried... thanks everyone, all input in appreciated! :happy:

I read a book a long time ago about working out for your body shape. It advised people who tend to store fat from the hips down (pear shape) to avoid cycling and elipticals. The reason it that you are working those muscles more and bulking them up quicker than you are burning the fat in those areas, (those are the last places to lose the fat).
    I have that body shape, but I LOVE to ride. I HAVE noticed truth to that. If you don't tend to store your fat in those areas I don't think its a big deal...But thats what I know about that.:bigsmile:

I wish I still had that book, or at least could remember the title or author. It was really good.