WEIGHT OF THE NATION on HBO

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
If you have HBO, it has a series on it called "Weight of the Nation" and is an ongoing documentary on the increasing obesity/overweight climb over the past couple of decades.
I haven't watched it yet (have it recorded) but I did catch a few minutes of it on the children's section and WOW some of these kids are headed a bad direction.
I'll watch all of it and give my opinion of it later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    I wasn't aware of it until a co-worker (who is a triathlete) told me about it. Sounds like eye-opening stuff.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I watched it all online. It was very eye opening. I highly recommend it. The online version is broken down in segments that are just over an hour. There are shorter clips, too, but I don't how they compare to the full thing.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump. I definitely want to watch this later when I get home.
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump this so I can remember the title for later. Thanks for the info : )
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later as my HBO channel features a movie. he reminds me of my overweight cousin (actually already bordering obesity)
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I watched a piece of it this weekend. Its extremely informative but also depressing because so many people are affected by obesity and so many people seem defeated by it. I am just glad that I found hope and now I'm on the road to fighting mine.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I watched the first part last week, it is really sad. Hoping to watch the second part soon online.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I watched a piece of it this weekend. Its extremely informative but also depressing because so many people are affected by obesity and so many people seem defeated by it. I am just glad that I found hope and now I'm on the road to fighting mine.

One thing that kind of disturbs me about weight-related documentaries is it lumps everybody into one category and it's not a truly accurate portrait of a society.

On paper, I'm considered "obese" but I bicycle to work every day (btwn 40-80m per week) and take bicycle tours on the weekends. I am extremely active otherwise and I still carry a lot of weight on my bones.

Maybe I am the exception, but I doubt it, especially during the times when people are in the process of losing weight, the outer-shell doesn't always coincide with the inner fitness.

So we make all these assumptions on information we don't really have readily available. In some ways it's a very dangerous position to be in.

I can outrun or outlift many, many people and most people would never think it was possible by looking at me.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.
    Much appreciated, will watch later
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have it recorded but haven't watched all of it yet. I did see bits and pieces while it was recording, though, and am looking forward to hearing about the research I was seeing in it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Don't have HBO but saw the link here to watch it online so..............Bump
  • Gianna1010
    Gianna1010 Posts: 6
    Options
    I saw this and even posted on my site about it Very disturbing. But I have to say, it did make me go out and ride my bicycle immediately.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    So I watched part 1. Some amazing statistics:

Of the children born after 2000, 1 in 3 who are over weight will become diabetic. If they are of African American or Latino decent, that number increases to 1 in 2. Scary.

The transplantation of livers is going up not due to hepatitus, but to cirrosis due to issues from obesity.

Even a 5% change in weight in an overweight person (whether up or down) has a significant impact on hormones, cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.

Looking forward to watching part 2 and the childrens segment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just located all 4 parts on Youtube if you are interested.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just watched this over the weekend. It is indeed scary. Even scarier was that I watched this during a break from reading "Fast Food Nation." Another eye-opener.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thank you very much for the link.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I will be watching it later.
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    bump