Granola recipe?

Options
akmett
akmett Posts: 75 Member
I love the convience of granola bars, but I would like to try to make my own in an effort to cut back on sugar and preservatives. Any good recipes for granola, fruit bars, or any other healthy on-the-go snacks I can throw in my purse would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I found a great recipe for pumpkin protein bars :)
    I made them yesterday and they are amazing!
    I found everything I needed at my local health food/organic store.

Pumpkin Protein BarsNutrition Facts:
    Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
    Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

Ingredients:
    ■½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal) - I used organic brown sugar
    ■1 - 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
    ■2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    ■1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
    ■½ tsp. ground clove
    ■1 tsp. baking powder
    ■1 tsp. baking soda
    ■½ tsp. salt
    ■2 tsp. vanilla extract
    ■4 large egg whites
    ■1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
    ■2 C oat flour
    ■2 scoops vanilla whey protein
    ■½ cup almond milk
    ■½ C chopped walnuts (optional) - I used 1 cup

Directions:
    1.Preheat the oven to 350.
    2.Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
    3.Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
    4.Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
    5.Makes 24 squares. (cut 4 times long ways and 5 times short ways)
  • fhbarry
    fhbarry Posts: 1
    Options
    Here's one from Alton Brown. I'm making it for the first time tonight, so not sure how good they are.

Ingredients
    8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
    1½ ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately ½ cup
    3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
    1½ ounces wheat germ, approximately ½ cup
    6 ounces honey, approximately ½ cup
    1¾ ounces dark brown sugar, approximately ¼ cup packed
    1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    6½ ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Directions

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

You can watch him make them on YouTube Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjj0Ofunpw , Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqJt9XDjHE . In that episode, he also makes protein bars and brown rice crispy bars.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    bump
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    bump
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Here's one from Alton Brown. I'm making it for the first time tonight, so not sure how good they are.

Ingredients
    8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
    1½ ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately ½ cup
    3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
    1½ ounces wheat germ, approximately ½ cup
    6 ounces honey, approximately ½ cup
    1¾ ounces dark brown sugar, approximately ¼ cup packed
    1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon kosher salt
    6½ ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Directions

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

You can watch him make them on YouTube Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjj0Ofunpw , Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqJt9XDjHE . In that episode, he also makes protein bars and brown rice crispy bars.

These sound really good!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Guess what! It's really super easy.

Get any kind of nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter etc) and honey as the "glue" that keeps the granola and fruit all together.

Add nuts, granola, cereal, m&m's, fruit, flax seed, wheat germ, chocolate chips, etc to peanut butter and honey and just keep adjusting until the texture feels good to you.

Mix it all in a ball and chill in fridge for 20 minutes, then take out and roll into inch sized balls. They last for a bout a week so keep them in air tight containers ready for whenever you're about to work out and need an energy boost!
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone! I tried the Pumkin Protein bars and really liked them...will be trying the other 2 soon :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump :)