Help! 45 y/o female gaining even with exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Have you lost any inches??

I'm 39 and struggle to actually lose weight but seem to get my results through losing inches and it has been this way since after I had my son 6 years ago.

I do running, 30DS and other strength training and I eat 10%-20% under my TDEE and I'm lucky if i lose a pound a month but I have gone down a UK dress size on top and bottom since Oct 2011 and have more defined abs!

Try this website for your numbers:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck!!!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    1. The MFP grossly overestimates calories expended with exercise, I would ignore them all together

2. Make sure you are using your food scale and measuring cups, you are likely underestimating your portion sizes

3. Some people lose weight in a linear fashion, women tend to lose in a "stair case" pattern. If you are doing everything right, just hold on for a few weeks and check your weight at the same time every day.

4. Weight loss is important, but so are inches and bodyfat % too. Track those as well

Thank you!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Actually, getting older has lots of great qualities -- wisdom, comfort in one's heart and skin, legacies left through family, work, what we do for others over our lifetimes. There are some great qualities to getting older. It's just soooo much harder as a "woman of a certain age" to lose weight! But let's celebrate our aging process and the fact we're working hard to stay fit at any age, not feel like it's all downhill when we hit a certain age.

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XXXXX
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    40-something body changes", and 2 - general ideas on how-to boost my motivation as I struggle to see results.
    As a side note - I had blood work done earlier this year and thyroid issues were ruled out.
    Thank you in advance for any advice!
    -ng

Not to question your doc, but are you sure that thyroid issues have been completely ruled out? I struggled for 2 years with weight that crept up and up even though I ate better and had always worked out, and every blood test came back "normal." HOWEVER, I found a new doc who promptly did a more thorough thyroid test that pinpoints 3 levels of hormone (not just 1, which is the standard test most docs do).

While my thyroid level was always in the "normal" range, after my 2nd child, it was consistently at the LOWEST end of "normal" -- my grandmother, my aunt, and some of my female cousins had the same issue. Once the new doc started me on thyroid medication, the way my body "worked" changed for the better. I had energy, I've dropped 20 lbs. in the last year (and yes, counting calories did help), and I feel like a completely different person (physically). My thyroid levels are now in the mid-range of normal every time.

Sometimes thyroid (and other hormonal) issues are very hard to pinpoint. I have another MFP friend who was working out super hard for a year (even lifting heavily), and still gained 20 lbs. counting every calorie. She FINALLY got a new doc who properly diagnosed her with thyroid issues and another metabolic problem. Now she's on meds, and feeling so much better. She's starting to drop pounds, too (slowly).

Hang in there, and keep plugging away. If you feel like something's genuinely not right with your body, don't stop asking questions.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    big time bump