Anyone from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?

I currently live in Washington DC but am looking to make a huge career change and relocate. I fell in love with that area a few years back and would like to move down there. Would love some input from people who currently live there about good areas to find an apartment, going out, etc.

Replies

• hilarydurst
    hilarydurst Posts: 91 Member
    I live in Pembroke Pines, FL. I used to live in Ft Lauderdale. But I'm about 30 minutes north of Miami. I'm going to try to send u my yahoo id... so if there's any questions I can help answer I'll do my best.
  • Lee1265
    Lee1265 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm in Palmetto Bay.... Southern Miami....way Southern...10 miles from Key Largo... Happy to help and chat. Let me know!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I grew up in Washington DC and visit Fort Lauderdale last year. I would move there in a heartbeat. I love the weather, beach and biking!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I'm in Miami proper. Work in Key Biscayne.

I had a roommate when I first got to Miami for two years. It helped a lot.

The best neighborhoods IMHO in Miami proper are Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Brickell (great for young professionals), and Coconut Grove. Lots of great stores, bars, and restaurants nearby. Sadly, the rent is very high in these areas too (especially Key Biscayne). KB is the best of the bunch. You have a panoramic view of downtown and tons of beaches. My office is right on the beach, and I love it. Sadly, the rent is easily $2,000 per month for a 1 bedroom.

Brickell is fantastic if you enjoy big city life. It's close to the arena, and you can practically walk everywhere or take the metromover or metrorail to go anywhere you want. It's not too far from the beaches either. Very hip and young.
  • I live in Pembroke Pines, FL. I used to live in Ft Lauderdale. But I'm about 30 minutes north of Miami. I'm going to try to send u my yahoo id... so if there's any questions I can help answer I'll do my best.

Thanks! That would be amazing! I'm so glad people finally responded to this thread!
  • I'm in Miami proper. Work in Key Biscayne.

The best neighborhoods IMHO in Miami proper are Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Brickell (great for young professionals), and Coconut Grove. Lots of great stores, bars, and restaurants nearby. Sadly, the rent is very high in these areas too (especially Key Biscayne). KB is the best of the bunch. You have a panoramic view of downtown and tons of beaches. My office is right on the beach, and I love it. Sadly, the rent is easily $2,000 per month for a 1 bedroom.

Brickell is fantastic if you enjoy big city life. It's close to the arena, and you can practically walk everywhere or take the metromover or metrorail to go anywhere you want. It's not too far from the beaches either. Very hip and young.

I'm planning a trip in August that will start in Orlando, will rent a car, and make my way down to Miami where I will end my trip. Any advice on what specific spots I should check out in between Orlando and Miami? My best friend lives in Orlando, but I could use some help on the stops in between. I have heard Coral Gables is beautiful.

Yeah I wouldn't be able to afford $2K a month. I am switching careers and would like to become a licensed professional counselor but I know I will have to use my current profession, accounting, and pick up a simple bookkeeping/accountant position somewhere.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I'm in Miami proper. Work in Key Biscayne.

I'm planning a trip in August that will start in Orlando, will rent a car, and make my way down to Miami where I will end my trip. Any advice on what specific spots I should check out in between Orlando and Miami? My best friend lives in Orlando, but I could use some help on the stops in between. I have heard Coral Gables is beautiful.

Yeah I wouldn't be able to afford $2K a month. I am switching careers and would like to become a licensed professional counselor but I know I will have to use my current profession, accounting, and pick up a simple bookkeeping/accountant position somewhere.

If you are able to find a roommate, I'd highly recommend Brickell. It's a really fun area of town, and you can get a decent 2 bedroom apartment for about $1,800 per month (so $900 per month per person), which is much more reasonable. If I were single, that's exactly where I'd live :)
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    I live in Palm Beach County (about 1/2 way between Miami and Orlando).
    Still on the coast but a lot cheaper then Miami/Lauderdale.
    It might be worth a look.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    Nope.
  • Nope.

Well at least you answered the question. :grumble: