Bananas....good or bad? What's your take?

Options
13»

Replies

• TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    <
    I love bananas.

It's true, she does, and we love that she loves bananas.

:heart: Sass
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    They're fantastic if you peel them and freeze them then eat them like a banana popsicile.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    This is how I feel about bananas:
    banana1.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like bananas.

I do not tend to over-think my snack choices like that.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I had a banana peanut butter post workout shake, yummy!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    They're fantastic if you peel them and freeze them then eat them like a banana popsicile.

hard bananas!!! yummy!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Bananas, like all fruit, is dangerous for you and you must learn how to defend yourself from them. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w
  • stvtellez
    stvtellez Posts: 2
    Options
    I love bananas, but like one of the posts said if your Diabetic eat them in moderation
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    IMO, if food can go bad in 2-3 weeks, it's definatly not bad for you. OUr bodies recognize foods that come from nature and will digest them much easier. Not all foods have lots of protein or fat or other things. But they all have something good in them. That's why we should eat a balanced diet. Sugar is good for you, it gives you energy. Where it comes from is a different story. Protein is great, but it's not the only thing our bodies need to be healthy. Instead of analizing everyting, eat what you know is good for you, comes from nature, has very few ingrediants, and I don't think you can go wrong.

I wonder how many posts about banannas there would be if there weren't the add at the top of everyones' page about the 5 foods you should never eat! :wink:
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    They make a great dessert too! I add it to yogurt or oatmeal, make a smoothie... so versatile. Can't completely deprive yourself of sweets, or at least I can't! I call it a guilt free treat!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    any day that goes by without a banana is a bad day
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Food shouldn't be labeled as "good" or "bad" but if it were bananas would definitely be "good".
  • bowlinmoe
    bowlinmoe Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow...that's a lot of responses and the majority seems to be pro-bananas.

Thanks!
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I vote for good! I eat one a day for potassium and fiber. They're wonderful frozen as a dessert or for a little oomph in your smoothie.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Plus they come with their own wrappers how cool is that the snack with it's own natural stow & go wrapper. :laugh:
  • mungmungi
    mungmungi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just ate two and read into it. It's a little more complicated than good or bad.

I love bananas and honestly on the spectrum of the food choices we have, the banana is far into the "good" category. That said bananas are also high in sugar and can spike your blood sugar and trigger insulin release which makes your body take sugar in your blood and store it in the form of FAT. The more ripe the banana, the more sugar. If you eat banana with other foods, then the sugar spike may not happen or will be reduced.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Everything you always wanted to know about EATING bananas

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

Bananas, raw

Serving size: 100 grams 1 ounce (28g) 1 cup, mashed (225g) 1 cup, sliced (150g) 1 extra small (less than 6" long) (81g) 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) (101g) 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) (118g) 1 large (8" to 8-7/8" long) (136g) 1 extra large (9" or longer) (152g) 1 NLEA serving (126g) FOOD SUMMARY

NUTRITIONAL TARGET MAP™ The Nutritional Target Map™ allows you to see at a glance how foods line up with your nutritional and weight-management goals. The closer a food is to the right edge of the map, the more essential nutrients per calorie it contains. For a more nutritious diet, select foods that fall on the right half of the map.

The closer a food is to the top edge of the map, the more likely it is to fill you up with fewer calories. If you want to restrict your caloric intake without feeling hungry, choose foods from the top half of the map.

Foods that are close to the bottom edge are more calorie-dense. If you want to increase your calorie intake without getting too full, choose foods from the bottom half of the map.
    Read more about the Nutritional Target Map

2.5 2.8 Fullness Factor
    ND Rating

NutritionData's
    Opinion
    Weight loss:

Optimum health:

Weight gain:
    The good: This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6.

The bad: A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.
    Caloric Ratio Pyramid
    CALORIC RATIO PYRAMID™ This graphic shows you what percentage of the calories in a food come from carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and alcohol. If you are trying to achieve a specific distribution of calories, such as the 40/30/30 distribution of the Zone™ diet, or the more traditional 60/30/10 distribution, the Caloric Ratio Pyramid™ will show you how recipes, meal plans, or individual foods line up with those goals.

Foods low in fat, for example, will cluster along the bottom edge of the pyramid, ranging from foods that are high in carbohydrates (at the left edge) to foods that are high in protein (at the right edge). Foods low in carbohydrates will cluster along the right edge of the pyramid, with foods that are high in fat at the upper edge and foods that are high in protein at the lower edge. Foods that have roughly the same number of calories from fats, calories, and protein will be found closer to the center of the pyramid.
    Read more about the Caloric Ratio Pyramid

93% 3% 4%
    Carbs Fats Protein

moderately inflammatory

ESTIMATED GLYCEMIC LOAD™ Glycemic load is a way of expressing a food or meal's effect on blood-sugar levels. Nutrition Data’s patent-pending Estimated Glycemic Load™ (eGL) is available for every food in the database as well as for custom foods, meals, and recipes in your Pantry.

How to interpret the values: Experts vary on their recommendations for what your total glycemic load should be each day. A typical target for total Estimated Glycemic Load is 100 or less per day. If you have diabetes or metabolic syndrome, you might want to aim a little lower. If you are not overweight and are physically active, a little higher is acceptable.
    Read more about the eGL

IF (INFLAMMATION FACTOR) RATING™ The IF (Inflammation Factor) Rating™ estimates the inflammatory or anti-inflammatory potential of individual foods or combinations of foods by calculating the net effect of different nutritional factors, such as fatty acids, antioxidants, and glycemic impact.

How to interpret the values: Foods with positive IF Ratings are considered anti-inflammatory, and those with negative IF Ratings are considered inflammatory. The higher the number, the stronger the effect. The goal is to balance negative foods with positive foods so that the combined rating for all foods eaten in a single day is positive.
    Read more about the IF Rating

NUTRIENT BALANCE 42 Completeness Score

NUTRIENT BALANCE INDICATOR™ This symbol offers a visual representation of a food's nutritional strengths and weaknesses, with each spoke representing a different nutrient. The spoke for dietary fiber is colored green, protein is blue, vitamins are purple, minerals are white, and yellow represents a group of commonly overconsumed nutrients: saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

A Completeness Score between 0 and 100 is a relative indication of how complete the food is with respect to these nutrients. Although few (if any) individual foods provide all the essential nutrients, the Nutrient Balance Indicator and Completeness Score can help you construct meals that are nutritionally balanced and complete.
    Read more about the Nutrient Balance Indicator
    PROTEIN QUALITY

62 Amino Acid Score
    PROTEIN QUALITY Protein quality is dependent on having all the essential amino acids in the proper proportions. If one or more amino acid is not present in sufficient amounts, the protein in your diet is considered incomplete.

Each spoke on the Protein Quality graph represents one of the nine essential amino acids, and the graph shows how close the protein in your diet is to the optimal distribution of amino acids recommended by the Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board.

An Amino Acid Score of 100 or higher indicates a complete or high-quality protein. If the Amino Acid Score is less than 100, a link is provided to complementary sources of protein. By combining complementary proteins, you may be able to increase the overall quality of the protein you consume.
    Read more about Protein Quality

Adding other foods with complementary amino acid profiles to this food may yield a more complete protein source and improve the quality of some types of restrictive diets.

Find foods with complementary profile

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Amounts per 1 cup, mashed (225g)

Calorie Information
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVCalories200(837 kJ)10% From Carbohydrate186(779 kJ) From Fat6.2(26.0 kJ) From Protein8.2(34.3 kJ) From Alcohol0.0(0.0 kJ)

Carbohydrates
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVTotal Carbohydrate51.4g17%Dietary Fiber5.9g23%Starch12.1g Sugars27.5g Sucrose5377mg
    Glucose11204mg
    Fructose10912mg
    Lactose0.0mg
    Maltose22.5mg
    Galactose0.0mg

Fats & Fatty Acids
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVTotal Fat0.7g1%Saturated Fat0.3g1%4:000.0mg
    6:000.0mg
    8:000.0mg
    10:002.3mg
    12:004.5mg
    13:00~
    14:004.5mg
    15:00~
    16:00229mg
    17:00~
    18:0011.3mg
    19:00~
    20:00~
    22:00~
    24:00:00~
    Monounsaturated Fat0.1g 14:01~
    15:01~
    16:1 undifferentiated22.5mg
    16:1 c~
    16:1 t~
    17:01~
    18:1 undifferentiated49.5mg
    18:1 c~
    18:1 t~
    20:010.0mg
    22:1 undifferentiated0.0mg
    22:1 c~
    22:1 t~
    24:1 c~
    Polyunsaturated Fat0.2g 16:2 undifferentiated~
    18:2 undifferentiated103mg
    18:2 n-6 c,c~
    18:2 c,t~
    18:2 t,c~
    18:2 t,t~
    18:2 i~
    18:2 t not further defined~
    18:0360.8mg
    18:3 n-3, c,c,c~
    18:3 n-6, c,c,c~
    18:4 undifferentiated0.0mg
    20:2 n-6 c,c~
    20:3 undifferentiated~
    20:3 n-3~
    20:3 n-6~
    20:4 undifferentiated0.0mg
    20:4 n-3~
    20:4 n-6~
    20:5 n-30.0mg
    22:02~
    22:5 n-30.0mg
    22:6 n-30.0mg
    Total trans fatty acids~ Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids~ Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids~ Total Omega-3 fatty acids60.8mg Total Omega-6 fatty acids103mg Learn more about these fatty acids
    and their equivalent names Protein & Amino Acids
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVProtein2.5g5%Tryptophan20.2mg
    Threonine63.0mg
    Isoleucine63.0mg
    Leucine153mg
    Lysine112mg
    Methionine18.0mg
    Cystine20.2mg
    Phenylalanine110mg
    Tyrosine20.2mg
    Valine106mg
    Arginine110mg
    Histidine173mg
    Alanine90.0mg
    Aspartic acid279mg
    Glutamic acid342mg
    Glycine85.5mg
    Proline63.0mg
    Serine90.0mg
    Hydroxyproline~

Vitamins
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVVitamin A144IU3%Retinol0.0mcg
    Retinol Activity Equivalent6.8mcg
    Alpha Carotene56.2mcg
    Beta Carotene58.5mcg
    Beta Cryptoxanthin0.0mcg
    Lycopene0.0mcg
    Lutein+Zeaxanthin49.5mcg
    Vitamin C19.6mg33%Vitamin D~ ~Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)0.2mg1%Beta Tocopherol0.0mg
    Gamma Tocopherol0.0mg
    Delta Tocopherol0.0mg
    Vitamin K1.1mcg1%Thiamin0.1mg5%Riboflavin0.2mg10%Niacin1.5mg7%Vitamin B60.8mg41%Folate45.0mcg11%Food Folate45.0mcg
    Folic Acid0.0mcg
    Dietary Folate Equivalents45.0mcg
    Vitamin B120.0mcg0%Pantothenic Acid0.8mg8%Choline22.0mg Betaine0.2mg

Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVCalcium11.3mg1%Iron0.6mg3%Magnesium60.8mg15%Phosphorus49.5mg5%Potassium806mg23%Sodium2.3mg0%Zinc0.3mg2%Copper0.2mg9%Manganese0.6mg30%Selenium2.3mcg3%Fluoride5.0mcg

Sterols
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVCholesterol0.0mg0%Phytosterols36.0mg Campesterol~
    Stigmasterol~
    Beta-sitosterol~

Other
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DVAlcohol0.0g Water169g Ash1.8g Caffeine0.0mg Theobromine0.0mg

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2#ixzz1vWxgp7Ij
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bananas are AMAZING! potassium potassium potassium. and yummy. i'll eat any that you don't want.

This! I have one every morning. Also....I read a few years ago that they are also good to help combat depression. But I don't know the truth in that.

Yeah i heard that too...my fiances dad has depression and whenever he's not feeling too good, his wife tells him to eat a big banana, he usually perks up quite a bit about half an hour later...but it could be different for everyone of course.