Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

5'2 and 117 lbs- Want to lose 5 lbs in 5 weeks

Can it be done in a healthy way? Would love to hear advice from people with more knowledge about this!

Replies

• patla21
    patla21 Posts: 3
    definitely dude.....calculate ur BMR first n then plan accordingly...
  • catatmwc
    catatmwc Posts: 6 Member
    According to the fitness pal tracker I can only safely lose .6 lbs a week?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    When your weight is already low and in the healthy range, it is very difficult to lose poundage. Why is it that you want to lose 5lbs in 5 weeks? Is your issue really weight or body composition? I asked because when I started, I felt flabby and thought losing more weight would get rid of the flabbiness. But I've learned is that it's not the weight but my body composition that I am not happy with. I had since improved my body, and I had not lose any weight whatsoever. So I am just throwing it out there for you to consider.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Yeah, what's the big deal? A pound a week? Easy.

But you should figure out is your BF% and see how low you want to get. At that weight, 3 lbs may be the different between I don't know say 15% and 12%..
  • catatmwc
    Easy how? Would like to hear advice on how this can be achieved with my weight. I'm taking a trip and I want to be able to indulge without gaining weight, so I'd like to lose weight prior to my trip.
  • qtiekiki
    So what are you doing now to lose weight?

To the other posters, easy???
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    I am the exact same stats as you. It's taken me about 6/8 weeks or so to lose about 4 lbs. It's kind of hard to lose the last few I think. I've been putting on some muscle at the same time so that has probably slowed the scale a bit.
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 355 Member
    wow your tiny already! not sounding mean but whouldnt that make you underweight? i ask as im 5ft 1 and 127lbs and in a healthy range so im guessing i inch taller and 112lb whould make you very slender?
  • qtiekiki
    wow your tiny already! not sounding mean but whouldnt that make you underweight? i ask as im 5ft 1 and 127lbs and in a healthy range so im guessing i inch taller and 112lb whould make you very slender?

At 5'2", you can be 104lbs and still be considered healthy based on BMI.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    My very first week I lost 6lbs and last week I lost 4. It can be done.
  • catatmwc
    I'm eating the calories the tracker is telling me to eat (give or take 100 cals) and I've upped my cardio from non-existent to about 3 hours a week. Have also started to incorporate some strength training.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member

Uh, it's slightly different for people with a low starting weight to begin with. Sure, you can dehydrate yourself and lose more, but generally speaking, for women with a low starting weight, a pound per week is NOT easy or necessarily advisable.

I'm currently 5'3" and 115, 39 years old. My BMR is 1261, my TDEE (before adding exercise, which I do via my HRM) is 1514. That means if I do not exercise and I just want to maintain my weight, I would eat 1514 cal/day. At at 20% calorie reduction my daily calories would be 1211, with a target of 0.6lb lost per week (or a consumption of 303 calories per day less than I need to maintain.) To lose a pound a week I would need to eat 500 calories below my TDEE, or just over 1000 calories per day. That is generally TOO FEW calories.

If you are a 165lb guy who is, say, 5'8" and 31 years old, your TDEE is 2111/day before exercise- 500 calories per day (or 3500/week) higher!

Your best bet is to figure it out for yourself. There is a great calculator here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Best of luck!
  • sarahc001
    Also, a sudden weight drop at the beginning of a weight loss program can be done by drinking water and cutting sodium if you currently retain water- but again, you are dropping water weight in this case, not burning fat.
  • strikerjb007
    Easy how? Would like to hear advice on how this can be achieved with my weight. I'm taking a trip and I want to be able to indulge without gaining weight, so I'd like to lose weight prior to my trip.

500 calories under your maintenance level. 45-50% protein 30% complex carbs, 20% fats (healthy fats).

One pound a week is not a big deal. Eat clean and cardio. High Intensity prefered. My girl is about your weight and she's losing a pound a week. I still don't see the point though. If you are targeting a specific BF%, I can understand. But losing 5 pounds just to lose 5 lbs?
  • strikerjb007

Uh, it's slightly different for people with a low starting weight to begin with. Sure, you can dehydrate yourself and lose more, but generally speaking, for women with a low starting weight, a pound per week is NOT easy or necessarily advisable.

I'm currently 5'3" and 115, 39 years old. My BMR is 1261, my TDEE (before adding exercise, which I do via my HRM) is 1514. That means if I do not exercise and I just want to maintain my weight, I would eat 1514 cal/day. At at 20% calorie reduction my daily calories would be 1211, with a target of 0.6lb lost per week (or a consumption of 303 calories per day less than I need to maintain.) To lose a pound a week I would need to eat 500 calories below my TDEE, or just over 1000 calories per day. That is generally TOO FEW calories.

If you are a 165lb guy who is, say, 5'8" and 31 years old, your TDEE is 2111/day before exercise- 500 calories per day (or 3500/week) higher!

Your best bet is to figure it out for yourself. There is a great calculator here:

Best of luck!

I have figured it out. I also have helped my fiancee lose weight and she's about the weight as the OP. So, no, I am not talking about me losing weight.
  • sarahc001

Best of luck!

I have figured it out. I also have helped my fiancee lose weight and she's about the weight as the OP. So, no, I am not talking about me losing weight.

Hey, the OP could lose even more on a VLC diet, but I wouldn't recommend it to a stranger, let alone someone I cared about. Better to keep it slow and steady- it's easier to keep the weight off and not screw with your body in the process. More than a 20% caloric deficit is just not good for your body. That doesn't mean it can't be done.