I Know Im DIfficult Butt I need some Advice

Options
AJTwiddy
AJTwiddy Posts: 34 Member
I am tring to eat healthy but I have no idea what Im doing I plan on buying a food scale to help but I really need some heathy snack ideas!! Here is the Prob tho I dont eat Fruit!! Alot of it I dont like but what I do like I have no Idea how to tell if they R ripe Enough I like pears N most Mellons But I dont like citrus or apples (unless U hav Delish Idea) I am not completely aginst trying anything but I know what I dont usually eat!! Veges R a little easier for Me but Im am still Picky!! My Fav is Corn And Green beans but I will eat most Peppers N sometimes carrorts cerlery cucumbers N Broc/califlower But I usually eat them Raw wit Ranch I know Ranch is not vry good 4 me!! Please if U have good Ideas that would Help me I would luv it!! I have spent part of the Morn On-line lookin up Healthy Snack Ideas but some R time consuming N with 3 kids & all the other sstuff I need Quick (which is Prob why Im not healthy) and others R not somethin I would eat.. I know I am being difficult but I want to enjoy trying to eat right not make myself misserble by forcing myself to eat things I dont care for!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Corn And Green beans but I will eat most Peppers N sometimes carrorts cerlery cucumbers N Broc/califlower But I usually eat them Raw wit Ranch

They sound fine as snacks, but what else do you eat in your day ?
  • liufunnygrl
    Options
    Have you tried putting the fruit in a ninja or other juice maker? I don't like mangos, apples. or blueberries. But in my ninja (mixer/juicer) I put the fruit in with water and ice and it makes a slushy type drink (sweeten with agave). They are good. Sometimes I add yogurt and skim mik or almond milk and it makes a smoothie. Also very good. I really have to drink my fruits. But if you don't like that either what about those gummie fruit and vege servings? Or V8 juice. Non of which are filling. Just some thoughts.

My favorite snack, Wasa crisp bread multigrain. One is only 45 cal. with a baby bells lowfat swiss or 1tbs lowcal peanut butter. That dang cracker is so filling. For me it satisfies my need to crunchy, boy is it crunchy!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Go to a farmer's market or a nice grocery story and ask them to explain to you how to tell when a piece of fruit or vegetable is ripe. Or Google it and print out the article and take it with you to the store.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to buy fruit that is in season. Also, don't be afriad to experiment -- like try grilling strawberries with a dollop of balsamic vinegar, then a smidge of pepper. Takes a sweet into savory. You can buy precut fruit bowls at most grocery stories. Fruit makes a great accompaniment to most proteins. Throw some sliced apples into a baking dish with chicken breasts, or pinapple with ham.
  • AJTwiddy
    Options
    I will Try them Crisp things I like crunchy too LOL where do I find em?? I actually never thought of Goggling that Hhmmm (feelin Smart) LOL I can cook up any unhealthy fried food like a champ LOL I have never put Fruit wit my meat I am Deff tryin the Apples N Chicken!!! Thanks so much guys Ur awesome
  • AJTwiddy
    Options
    I actually eat horible usually nothin in the Morn just coffee tons of cream N sugar then almost Afternoon then I will eat Ravioli or a sandwich (wit alot of mayo) I put BUTTER on everything N when my kids get home we snack Cookies chips whatever is easy It has been bout 3wks or so that I am tring to change things Most of the things I cook are fried N I use crap cheep oils!! I guess this is why it is so Difficult for me I have eatin like this for years so I have no Idea what NON fried things R realy like The greesier the better!!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Almonds.

Get a crock pot and learn to use it. There is a lot you can do with them to avoid frying everything. You can also bake about everything that you fry. Spices are your friends.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I actually eat horible usually nothin in the Morn just coffee tons of cream N sugar then almost Afternoon then I will eat Ravioli or a sandwich (wit alot of mayo) I put BUTTER on everything N when my kids get home we snack Cookies chips whatever is easy It has been bout 3wks or so that I am tring to change things Most of the things I cook are fried N I use crap cheep oils!! I guess this is why it is so Difficult for me I have eatin like this for years so I have no Idea what NON fried things R realy like The greesier the better!!

Why not try air popped popcorn instead os chips? I'm sorry, but your kids deserve better then cookies and chips because it's "easy". You don't want them to end up with weight issues. Do they like fruit? Veggies and dip, cheese strings, yogurt, apple sauce, pretzels, there are a ton if things the kids might like, even if you don't.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Sorry, mama, but you're full of excuses.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/04/04/how-to-choose-the-best-fruit-in-the-produce-section-a-guide-for-15-common-fruits.htm

Now you know how to choose good fruit. Go out and buy a bunch of it. Personally, I'm not big on fruit and rarely eat it. I stick to veggies, mostly, for my " fruit & veg " servings a day.

Ranch dressing is fine for you. If you want to lower the calories and make it healthier, try this :

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/01/diet-friendly-ranch-style-dip-greek.html

Google is your friend.

As for snacks : Buy a bunch of produce. Wash it, dry it, cut it up. You're more likely to use it if its quickly available. Same thing for the kids. When I stopped buying chips & crap food, they started eating healthier food. Now i can cut up a plate of fruit AND THEY EAT IT. One hour a week in cleaning & prep work, and the whole family has a weeks' worth of healthy snacks.
  • AJTwiddy
    Options
    WOW im alittle offended but the comments of my Kids deserve better N Im full of excuses!!! I am doing this for my family and self!!! I am trying for The First time in our Lives to fix things I am in No need of being told what im doing wrong just what im tring to do now (one of the reasons most ppl dont do healthy... some of U R full of citisium!!) The point is I am tring starting a total of maybe 3wks ago!!! I wrote this because I wanted ideas (Thank U to all of those who did) So I can continue improving!!! I am a very busy person with 3 Boys and 2 jobs It becomes habit because it is EASY I Plan on changing all that So Please Continue to B Supportive wit POSITIVE Notes!! My Personality would appreciate that Thank you so much <3 Amanda
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    If you don't like certain foods then you can't just make the switch overnight, but try to include them gradually. Maybe if you have trouble picking out fresh fruit you could buy canned? Most stores sell peaches and pears in individual cups and they taste delicious.

My advice would be to try out one or two new things each week, and maybe eventually you will begin to like them! Try to eat your vegetables and fruit without dressing, or use something low-fat. I like to eat raw carrots with hummus.

In terms of healthy food choices, try eating lean meat like chicken, turkey, or tuna. Whole grains, beans, and low-fat dairy are all good for you. Nuts like almonds or pistachios are also good snack items. You could look for string cheese or yogurt to snack on, and pretzels aren't bad for you either. You can usually eat pretty much any kind of snack as long as you pay attention to serving sizes - for example, graham crackers (only one or two sheets), granola bars, peanut butter (one or two tablespoons), eggs (usually no more than two, if you want more then you can use the whites of the eggs instead), raisins, and even chocolate as long as you eat only a small amount.

I hope these suggestions helped!
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    After school snacks are the best! I would get rid of the cookies and potato chips, though, and try microwave popcorn instead. The 94% fat free bags are really good for you.

Cooking with less fat and oil will be much healthier. You can always set up a slow cooker when you have more free time so that dinner will be ready and waiting when everyone gets hungry. There are a lot of magazines and books with very healthy dinner recipes that you should look into. I also like the website http://allrecipes.com because they offer good recipes from other people on the internet and usually include nutrition facts.
  • liufunnygrl
    Options
    WASA is the brand crispbread multi grain, in the health food section at my grocery store, (Publix) Also on line. The greatest thing about them is they fill me up. I think because they are so compact They puff up with liquid in you tummy and make you fill full. I think that is why. That and a baby bell is so yum.

Oh yeah and those 100 calorie butterpop lite, smart pop brand. I dip them with a little pickle juice. Just like I am at the movies! Or you could put the ranch powder dip mix in it and shake the bag, to get your ranch fix without the fat.
  • flower_chylde
    Options
    I am from the south, where we fry everything. =)
    I have started using Coconut oil to fry with. It doesn't take a lot and is much better then any of the other oils out there.

For snacks I eat Clif bars or Kind bars. I am horrible with friuts. I buy them then completely forget about them.
    For my coffee, I have started doing half sugar and half Splenda so I can get use to the taste.. But I am sticking with my powered Creamer. =o

Good luck!
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Ypu might try doing what I did... My husband is NOT a veggie/fruit guy :-) I could never get him to eat anywhere close to the amount of fruits and veggies he should be. My solution was SMOOTHIES every morning. It takes me about 8 minutes to peal the apples, wash everything and throw it in a blender.
    Here is what I put in our smoothies every morning (this actually makes three smoothies cuz I give one to our roommate too)
    4 cups of loosely packed spinach leave (I just use the blender to measure)
    2 Cups loosely packed Kale (Spinach and Kale are SOSO good for you. Kale attact cholesterol!)
    2 small apples
    2 cups of frozen blueberrys...another SUPER food :-)
    A Cup of strawberriesif they are in season OR a banana or two
    4 tablespoons of Fax seed (ground)
    I blend all of this with Vanilla Almond OR Vanilla Coconut Milk (vanilla flavor helps sweeten it so I don't add sugars)
    I just keep pouring in a little bit until it gets to the consistency we like.

The spinach and kale DO make it a little green tasting and at first he didnt really like them, but now if I don't make them he misses them.

I think our tastes adjust to what and how we introduce the foods to them. He is now more open to veggies in general and I am adding them to everything from omelletes to burritos :-)

Good luck with everything! Change in lifestyle is one of the hardest things to do! ESPECIALLY with kids and a husband.

PS when I am doing yoga I seem to crave natural foods more. I was told that the adjustments and corrections Yoga does to your body helps you become more concious of what your body wants...and you tend to crave good foods.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I snack all the time. You can check out my diary to get some ideas if you would like.
  • mariaschlimper
    Options
    I never do my groceries when I'm hungry. Otherwise I'll buy too much junk food.. When in the store I buy a lot of fruit and veggies. 3/4 of my basket are for healthy raw food. The last quarter is for bread, rice, pasta and other unhealthy stuff. When I'm finally back home I have to make the best out of what I bought. I have to admit that when I start feeling hungry I also start to regret that I didn't buy more junk food like cookies or chocolate or toast (I also prefer WASA crisps instead of bread). But by then I have no choice.. I have to make the best out of what is in my fridge.. It works :)
  • AJTwiddy
    Options
    SO true bout the hungry part if I shop hungry I do tend to buy more junk!! With a few tears N some stright facts I have got my Husband N kids to agree on better choces but im not allowed to completly make them change since this is my thing I guess!!