no weight loss w.diet and extreme exercise...

Options
For the last two weeks I've taken on a new diet where i'm eating 1200 calories a day (or a little more, depending on the exercise that day) and last week i burned 500 cals on monday, 800 on tuesday, and 900 wednesday, thursday and friday. and another 1,000 saturday.
I've also incorporated some weight training 5 days a week. I have noticed a change in how my clothes fit me, but the scale has not moved, the first week i lost 3 pounds. I am 5'3" and weight 154. The weight should have dropped a little bit more considering i'm burning so many calories, i just don't get it. Any advice!?
Thanks~!

Replies

• justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You are eating too few calories, especially for the amount of exercise you are doing. You need to do the calculations and find out what your numbers should be. Almost everyone should be eating more than 1200 calories. At the very least, that should be your net calories....which would be after subtracting your exercise calories, so if you are burning 600 calories a day, then you should be eating 1800 to make a net calories of 1200. You should never have your net be lower than 1200...thats what we all need to survive without even getting out of bed.
  • Inspired5
    Inspired5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes time for our bodies to catch up. My husband did the same kind of routine below and it took him 4 weeks before he lost any weight. However once he did he lost 3-4lbs every week. Just be patient it will show up.
  • Vaprep
    Vaprep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exercise creates stronger muscles, which weigh more than fat. So that could cause it. A drastic new exercise regime will likely create some inflammation (soreness) and the fluid retention can show up on the scale, until your body gets used to its new situation. Your body might just be adjusting and holding on to the weight to see how things are going to go before it lets the weight loose. You might not be drinking enough water (which they say helps with all of the above). If you are doing all the right things, this is when it is essential to be patient. Just KEEP on doing the right things and have faith that your body knows its business. This is where most of us freak out and binge. "Oh well, if I'm not losing weight anyway, I'll just eat a bag of cookies...". Your body isn't a machine, where you can push button A and get result B. Whenever we change the status quo, there is probably a whole lot of adjusting in our bodies that we don't even understand that has to go on behind the scenes. This is a good time to lavish some love on your faithful and hard-working body- maybe a massage, a facial, a pedicure... Be kind and patient. :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This. You are over-training and under-eating. Set your weight loss goal to a half pound a week (and eat what it tells you). Eat your exercise calories.
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    your not eating enough. You're in starvation mode
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be extreme, be extremely moderate.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    eat more
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

In 2 weeks?? Highly unlikely. More likely it's water weight from the new exercise, especially since the OP says she's seeing difference in how her clothes fit.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Love that!

Sounds like you're wanting results too fast, too. You've only been at it 2 weeks. Back off the cardio, do more resistance training, and give it some time.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I LOVE this!!! :o) Well said! :smile:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It is going to take more than two weeks to see a difference. I suggest eating more because 1200 calories isn't enough to sustain your body's functions. Find your BRM and eat at that amount. It took me three weeks to see scale weight change after upping my calories, but I dropped inches right away.

You may want to open your diary, because I’m sure you can get more advice if people can see what your eating. IF your not already, you should log EVERYTHING you consume. This way you can accurately account for your macros and adjust where need be.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

In 2 weeks?? Highly unlikely. More likely it's water weight from the new exercise, especially since the OP says she's seeing difference in how her clothes fit.

Agreed. Starvation mode doesn't happen that quick.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    For one, it's only been 2 weeks, you have to give it more time. Someone mentioned you are not consuming enough calories, I agree. I was eating 1200 calories for 5 months and I lost 15lbs, but I wasn't working out. Once you start working out, you have to consume more calories. Bump it up slowly and I bet you will see a difference. Your body needs fuel when you work out, and if you don't have it, your body will hold onto every single fat cell possible because it's now in starvation mode. Eat more, lose more. It works! But be careful, when I say eat more, I don't mean add a mcdonalds cheeseburger and fries to your day. Eat more healthy foods, or eat more often. I eat 1400 calories and I eat every 2 hours and it seems to work for me. Good luck! Be patient and you will see results!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You are eating too few calories, especially for the amount of exercise you are doing. You need to do the calculations and find out what your numbers should be. Almost everyone should be eating more than 1200 calories. At the very least, that should be your net calories....which would be after subtracting your exercise calories, so if you are burning 600 calories a day, then you should be eating 1800 to make a net calories of 1200. You should never have your net be lower than 1200...thats what we all need to survive without even getting out of bed.

My BMR is 1676. This is what I need to survive if I was in a coma.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    HEY MLVAFIADIS HOW OLD R U?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie intake should be NET, meaning AFTER calories burned from exercise is factored in. Eating any less will HURT fat loss.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    For the last two weeks I've taken on a new diet where i'm eating 1200 calories a day (or a little more, depending on the exercise that day) and last week i burned 500 cals on monday, 800 on tuesday, and 900 wednesday, thursday and friday. and another 1,000 saturday.
    I've also incorporated some weight training 5 days a week. I have noticed a change in how my clothes fit me, but the scale has not moved, the first week i lost 3 pounds. I am 5'3" and weight 154. The weight should have dropped a little bit more considering i'm burning so many calories, i just don't get it. Any advice!?
    Thanks~!

Eating 1200, or netting 1200? Eating 1200 and doing a lot of exercise is counterproductive. If you mean you ate 1700 on Monday, 2000 on Tuesday, 2100 on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and 2200 on Saturday, then you should be losing about a pound to a pound and a half a week, which it looks like you are.

You're barely in the overweight category. Set your goal closer to half a pound a week. To do that you want to NET 1550 to 1600 calories per day. That's NET. EAT your exercise calories. So if you have 1000 exercise calories you eat 2550 to 2600 calories. This should give you a more sustainable loss for someone who has so little to lose.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I LOVE this!!! :o) Well said! :smile:
    this lol
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    Exercise creates stronger muscles, which weigh more than fat. So that could cause it.

What is heavier- a pound of feathers or a pound of brick?
    They are both a pound.
    What is heavier- a pound of muscle or a pound of fat? They are the same as well.