I barely drink any water

Options
I barely drink water or anything really. Perhaps a latte during the day at work and maybe a pepsi max in the evening. Will I benefit from drinking water, or is it a myth?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    It's always good to stay hydrated. Sure you can get water from other sources.. but usually it's no where near enough. You will no doubt benefit from drinking more water per day. I'm glad I did. Your trips to the bathroom may increase at first but overtime you get used to it.
  • alisonhoneywell
    Options
    I am going to make a conscious effort to start drinking water, straight away. More trips to the bathroom can only be good exercise I suppose.
  • tammymc5
    tammymc5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to stop the Pepsi, and drink water..I know how hard it is, I use to drink nothing but Pepsi until about two years ago, then I just stopped, I lost alot of weight just by not drinking it, plus MS pain and fatigue got some better....
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes,water is important. It's good for your body, your skin, your digestive tract, everything. Pepsi and lattes taste good but are awful for your health.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that you need 64 oz. of water a day. You could probably stand to drink a bit more if that's all you're really drinking, but don't force yourself to down 8x8 glasses a day.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes you need water - lots of it

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-water.html

That being said start slow - work your way up - if for now you want to still have a pepsi and a latte then do it but also add in a couple glasses of water...after a bit add in some more glasses during the day...then start to wean off pepsi and latte every day.

I have a Camelback water bottle with a straw - I personally find I can drink more with a straw then gulping it down. Give it a try - pop a straw into a cup of water...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a story...

Last summer I thought I was doing OK keeping hydrated. I didn't drink a lot of water, but I would drink mountain dew and Sobe lifewaters, and then *some* water. The weekend after school let out, I woke up in TONS of pain. I struggled through and took my kids to the zoo 'cause I had promised, but after 2-3 hours I was miserable and in pain again. When I couldn't take it anymore, my neighbor drove me to the ER. They did some tests and discovered that I had a 14mm kidney stone. It took 3 weeks and 3 major surgeries ( worth about $40k) to resolve the situation.

Then he did tests to find out how to prevent future stones. He did a 48 hour urine test--that means I had to stay home for 2 days and collect every drop of urine into a jug. When the results came back, he told me that my fluid volume was 50% of what it should be! When you don't give your body enough fluid, it cannot dilute minerals, etc, and they create stones. He told me I should drink at least 4 liters of water (12 8 oz glasses) to properly dilute my urine. When I took his advise and started drinking more, the next test showed that I had low levels of stone forming compounds...and low potassium. Having a urinary stent for THREE WEEKS, having my kidney pummled by sound waves, then having a scope done so they could use a laser to break up part of the stone was NOT fun...so I drink. Yesterday I drank 18 glasses. So far today I have had 12 or 13....
  • Hopelessdemon
    Options
    Yes, almost definitely! Not only is it important to stay hydrated for your health, drinking fluids also helps with weight loss and image. Water flushes your bodily systems and clears impurities from your pores.

"Without enough water, the kidneys cannot function properly. As a result, some of their workload is pushed off onto the liver, in turn preventing the liver from operating at peak levels.

How does all this tie into weight loss? Because metabolizing fat is a primary function of the liver, and because the liver can't function at peak levels when taking on the added workload from the kidneys, less body fat is metabolized and more is stored. This leads to either weight gain or reaching a plateau of weight loss."

Source: http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water_health/health1/1-the-role-of-water-dieting.htm
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    If you're not too keen on water, add a small amount of cordial or squash. You're much more likely to drink it if it tastes good! Works for me! :happy:
  • Auntycincin
    Auntycincin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi i only drink waer twice a week and after my dance class.mmm it seems to be working for me weight is just pouring off me so it must depend on the person.
    22257725.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Drink water!!
    It really is important, for health of the body (functions), it makes you feel full, and we need to be hydrated. If you don't like water - trying the sparkling beverages (watch though because some have lots of sodium, but you can get 0 calorie, sugar-free ones and that's better than pop.)
    You can tell if you're hydrated or not by the color of your urine, and yes the more water you drink the more frequent trips to the bathroom, but you'll get used to that.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yes you need water - lots of it

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-water.html

That being said start slow - work your way up - if for now you want to still have a pepsi and a latte then do it but also add in a couple glasses of water...after a bit add in some more glasses during the day...then start to wean off pepsi and latte every day.

I have a Camelback water bottle with a straw - I personally find I can drink more with a straw then gulping it down. Give it a try - pop a straw into a cup of water...

^^ i agree start slow, now my body craves water and i could not care less about the soda...
  • ivanfranco
    ivanfranco Posts: 1
    Options
    test
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I always notice that I feel better when I drink water...my skin looks brighter and I have more energy. I get my 64 oz a day and then some most of the time.
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    I know how you feel. I never get thirsty. But, I have been forcing myself to drink 5 liters of water per day. They say you take half your body weight and that's how many ounces you need per day. You might have diarrhea or nausea for a couple days but you get used to it and it really does curb your appetite/flush the fat right out. Drink your water :)
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Try to substitute a water for a Pepsi, then 2 waters, etc. Water will do wonders for your skin, too! The constant peeing can be irritating but you will get used to it. If you think you're hungry, drink a glass of water. You might not really be hungry. I drink a little coffee in the morning and after that, nothing but water. Sometimes unsweet iced tea (I live in TX, so unsweet is unnatural!) but mostly water. About once every 6 months I might have a Coke or DP.
  • asteelman4
    asteelman4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hardly drank water at all! I use to drink mostly tea during the day and maybe a glass of water if that.. I never drank pop like that so that was not much of a problem. I have been off and on with loosing weight so this time i decided to drink lots more water.. i drink between 5-7 glasses a day and it helps me soooo much! i dont over eat and i always feel full! its probably something ive been missing this whole time and what my body really needed!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am going to make a conscious effort to start drinking water, straight away. More trips to the bathroom can only be good exercise I suppose.

If you don't you will end up with a kidney stone, the pain of a passing ks is worse than child labor and if it is big one surgery, this happen to me last summer on my vacation and I also was not drinking any water, but pepsi!!!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I never get thirsty. But, I have been forcing myself to drink 5 liters of water per day. They say you take half your body weight and that's how many ounces you need per day. You might have diarrhea or nausea for a couple days but you get used to it and it really does curb your appetite/flush the fat right out. Drink your water :)

5 litres may be excessive unless you're sweating a lot. Too much water can actually poison you. I once told my GP I was drinking 3 a day and she said that I should not drink any more than that.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Water is so good for you. Please drink some.