Training For a 5-K

Options
Hello! I am getting ready to do my first ever 5-K. It is in 3 weeks and I am wondering what all I should do to train for it. Is there anything specific many people do? The past month, I have worked myself up from running 2 miles to running 7 miles!!! Huge accomplishment! It takes me about 45 minutes to run 5 miles. Lastnight it took me a little over an hour to do 7 miles nonstop. It seems like after I reach a certain point, I can seriously run for ever and ever!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am getting ready to do my first ever 5-K. It is in 3 weeks and I am wondering what all I should do to train for it. Is there anything specific many people do? The past month, I have worked myself up from running 2 miles to running 7 miles!!! Huge accomplishment! It takes me about 45 minutes to run 5 miles. Lastnight it took me a little over an hour to do 7 miles nonstop. It seems like after I reach a certain point, I can seriously run for ever and ever!

The best advice I could give someone in your position is to warm up before the race.

Do an easy mile or so and then do some strides (just google them). It'll help your body be ready to race. Do not go out too fast either. 5ks hurt like the ****ens but you should be able to keep an even pace or even speed up a wee bit later in the race. Too many people go out too hard and then ended up red lining and shuffling in. It sucks
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice!! I actually just started warming up before my nightly runs and I find that I my muscles don't get fatigued rarely at all compared to when I don't warm up! Thanks so much!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best thing you could do would be to add a 20 min tempo run to your schedule once a week. That will train your body to cope with the higher levels of lactate produced during faster running in a race.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! A 5K? You should be running a 10K! Very great accomplishment!

I agree with the above posters--warming up is key. My track coach in high school always said you should show up to the starting line only after you've already broken a sweat. Good luck!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You went from being able to run 2 miles to being able to run 7 miles in a month? not sure why you are asking for help, seems like you should be giving help :)

Be careful you don't push yourself too far or too fast since that leads to injury, do a dynamic stretching warm-up routine (some good videos of that are out there if you google) and make sure you do some cross-training since running doesn't do much for your core, and wow, that's all I can think of...

Your pace is great too, so now you just have to decide what your own goals are. Do you want to run farther, do you want to run faster, etc, you will need to be able to answer that and then find a good training program and follow it. Good luck on your 5K, and now go sign up for a 10K! :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have been following a consistent program. Stretching is important and incorporating some hill work into your weekly routine. Good luck!
  • amolina0810
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have always been a runner, but I kind of drifted off after having kids. But when I pick it back up, I can always take off right where I left off! I am doing strength training as well as the running. I will definitely be sure to warm up, and add some tempo into my runs!! My thing is that I want to pick up speed. Yes, I can pace myself very good and I have a decent speed (when I log it, it turns out to be about 9 minutes per mile. I would like to be able to do 7 minutes or so!! What is a good finishing time for a 5k? I will definitely put some hill work in!! So, being that I am training for the 5-K should I focus on just doing the 3.1 miles every night? Or can I still do my distance runs?
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! A 5K? You should be running a 10K! Very great accomplishment!

I agree with the above posters--warming up is key. My track coach in high school always said you should show up to the starting line only after you've already broken a sweat. Good luck!

Was going to say your already running a 10 fab! 5k is 3.1miles FYI.. I am training for one as well I learned warming up is great and not stopping once you start is best. I used to run 10K 3 times a week but I cut back and my speed and energy are picking up already. Good luck tho I think you don't need it ;-)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The distance runs of an hour or more are needed if you want to race well. A 5K is over 90% aerobic so the more aerobic capacity you can build the better you will be able to run. If you can work up to a weekly run of around 90 minutes that would help a lot.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have always been a runner, but I kind of drifted off after having kids. But when I pick it back up, I can always take off right where I left off! I am doing strength training as well as the running. I will definitely be sure to warm up, and add some tempo into my runs!! My thing is that I want to pick up speed. Yes, I can pace myself very good and I have a decent speed (when I log it, it turns out to be about 9 minutes per mile. I would like to be able to do 7 minutes or so!! What is a good finishing time for a 5k? I will definitely put some hill work in!! So, being that I am training for the 5-K should I focus on just doing the 3.1 miles every night? Or can I still do my distance runs?

I cut back to 3.1 miles and it helped my time I did 5K in 27:56 mins today..not too shabby right? Also don't stop..if you stop for a break it's harder to get going again
  • amolina0810
    Options
    I am doing the 5-K for fun lol! I have never done a race before and I figured this would be a good place to start and see how I like it! But yes, I am definitely going to consider doing a 10K soon as well! Maybe tonight I should warm up, run a 5-k and see what my time is now. And just continuously try to get it better? Do some hills and sprints maybe?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

A "good finishing time" is pretty subjective. Right now I'm trying to break 25 minutes (that will be good for me at this point). Your 5 and 7 mile times are pretty close to mine and my fastest 5k was a couple of weeks ago at 25:37 (8:13/mile average). Definitely keep doing your distance runs. I usually do a long run on the weekend and a couple of shorter runs during the week. Usually a 5k run where I work on speed and either do intervals or hills or something and a 5 mile or so run.

Enjoy your race!