Best Weight Lifting Excercises To Build Muscle

Hey guys/gals,

I've lost nearly 50 lbs since I started reinventing myself. To that end, I want to begin to ween myself from doing so much cardio (I do about 45 mins 4x to 5x week) to begin some serious weight lifting to build muscle mass. Any suggestions? What are the best exercises/ sets & reps/ lift and rest periods, etc. Thanks in advance for your help/responses!!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Hey guys/gals,

I've lost nearly 50 lbs since I started reinventing myself. To that end, I want to begin to ween myself from doing so much cardio (I do about 45 mins 4x to 5x week) to begin some serious weight lifting to build muscle mass. Any suggestions? What are the best exercises/ sets & reps/ lift and rest periods, etc. Thanks in advance for your help/responses!!

It sounds like you're a beginner lifter, so I would just recommend buying Mark Rippletoe's book, "Starting Strength". It's probably the best beginner's book around.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    The BEST weight lifting exercise for muscle, is the barbell full squat.
    The second best (arguably best by some) is the deadlift.

I second Starting Strength.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

It sounds like you're a beginner lifter, so I would just recommend buying Mark Rippletoe's book, "Starting Strength". It's probably the best beginner's book around.

This.
    Best muscle builders IMO are:
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Pullups
    Bench
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I agree with all of the above.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Third vote for Starting Strength. I also highly recommend the DVD.