How many calories do you think you eat a day?

Options
124»

Replies

• MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    5ft 9 getting on a bit but keep active. eat around 2040 cals a day, yesterday I was told by a pro-ana I eat like a pig! LOL
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    5ft 9 getting on a bit but keep active. eat around 2040 cals a day, yesterday I was told by a pro-ana I eat like a pig! LOL

You and me both! Oink oink.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

You and me both! Oink oink.

me too!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm set for my BMR at 1,560 to lose weight and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. Oh, I'm 5'9 and 165ish (haven't weighed in a while).
  • bidgiewidgie
    Options
    I am the same height as you and eating 1200 a day too, and it is working for me very well, especially when I exercise. I have found that I don't need to eat my exercise calories to feel satisfied, I just don't need all that food and I'm feeling great for it in the end anyway; I have heaps of energy, sleeping and thinking well and feeling healthy, even in this freezing weather (Canberra, Australia).

If you're at a plateau, just keep at it, in the end any tricks your body uses to go into 'survival mode' or other rubbish will lose out to the pure maths of calories in vs calories out. If you find that you're not losing anything have a really hard exercise session or two (remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you are exercising and putting on muscle then weight isn't the best indicator; pay attention to how tight your clothes feel, or guage your measurements and you'll see the difference). I bought a heart rate monitor to tell me exactly how many calories my workouts were burning. by going above the 'fat burning zone' and exercising in the higher hear rate zones for cardio fitness, I have found that I am burning even more calories, and the literature tells me, these sessions are also burning fat for longer periods of time than just sticking to the 'fat burning zone'.

Also, check that your measurements of your foods is correct. Do you have a little scale? Or a measuring cup? Not telling you how to suck eggs or anything like that but sometimes volumes and weights can be very deceiving.

You might find this article helpful, it says a few things that I have already but probably with much more eloquence and background data:
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/5-tips-to-avoid-plateaus-and-metabolic-slowdown-647.html

I find 'fitspirational' videos and pics helpful for keeping the goals in mind. A little something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWu3DbtvHKQ&feature=related

A few years ago I lost about 25kg (I was a 'fatty', then I became a 'skinny' very happy in bikinis and short-shorts) by mostly controlling my calorie intake. I didn't have a calorie counting program then so I don't know how many calories I was on, but it makes 1200 look like a feast now . I didn't have much energy like I have now on 1200, but I was healthy overall) There was no plateau point, it just kept dropping off, but towards the end of reaching my goal I got impatient and wanted to push the scale down to what I wanted it to say, so I introduced exercise to the mix and I would go for huge walks to the city centre and back, and then when my fitness built up, I went jogging around the suburb, and this exercise really had a huge and fast effect. ... then, I got married, 'busy', happy, finished my thesis, and as a result of not watching my calories and not exercising, steadily put on 17kg again over two years. This was NOT a fast gain and not a result of any magical end-of-calorie restriction metabolism problem, it was just because I was lazy and ate as much as my tall, physically active husband. So don't worry about any crap they say about 'you will gain the pounds back quicker if you lose weight "too" quickly', just be sensible with your calories when you reach your goal so you don't have to do the hard work all over again to get back there. And don't start a thesis or get married and think that eating as much as a large man is okay. haha.

Good luck with it. You can and will do it if you continiue to work hard.
  • xrayeminence
    xrayeminence Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    5'7", 299: I try to stay around 1200 a day.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and 115 lbs. I eat around 1700 every day to maintain, but may up it if I continue to lose weight. I'm beginning to suspect that my TDEE is higher than that.
  • nekochanpurr
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on the day.. I weigh 192 and am 5'5. I am losing it slow, but.. Well, as long as i am losing it at all i am happy. lol
  • BriHealthy150
    BriHealthy150 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1000 calories a day for months. I found out that I should be eating more in order to lose more weight, but it's hard to break the habit now that I've done it for so long.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    1300 to lose, 1500 to ease out of maintenance, and 1900 to maintain on an exercise day i'd assume
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my current maintenance at my activity level is around 2700/2800. i log around 1600-1800 but probably eat around 2100 considering some things i dont log (like sugar in my tea) and that i dont use a food scale. it' very possible that i'm eating a bit more than that since i'm averaging 1-1.25 pounds of weight loss a week

i'm 5'5 and 198 (yay reached wonderland finally)
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2100 - 2500 a day. I am just trying to lose weight at the moment. I still have a long way to go.

It gets a bit daunting sometimes realising I will be doing this for 6-12 more months to reach my goal, I wish it didn't take so long.
  • christyrp90
    christyrp90 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you and eating 1200 a day too, and it is working for me very well, especially when I exercise. I have found that I don't need to eat my exercise calories to feel satisfied, I just don't need all that food and I'm feeling great for it in the end anyway; I have heaps of energy, sleeping and thinking well and feeling healthy, even in this freezing weather (Canberra, Australia).

If you're at a plateau, just keep at it, in the end any tricks your body uses to go into 'survival mode' or other rubbish will lose out to the pure maths of calories in vs calories out. If you find that you're not losing anything have a really hard exercise session or two (remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you are exercising and putting on muscle then weight isn't the best indicator; pay attention to how tight your clothes feel, or guage your measurements and you'll see the difference). I bought a heart rate monitor to tell me exactly how many calories my workouts were burning. by going above the 'fat burning zone' and exercising in the higher hear rate zones for cardio fitness, I have found that I am burning even more calories, and the literature tells me, these sessions are also burning fat for longer periods of time than just sticking to the 'fat burning zone'.

Also, check that your measurements of your foods is correct. Do you have a little scale? Or a measuring cup? Not telling you how to suck eggs or anything like that but sometimes volumes and weights can be very deceiving.

You might find this article helpful, it says a few things that I have already but probably with much more eloquence and background data:
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/5-tips-to-avoid-plateaus-and-metabolic-slowdown-647.html

I find 'fitspirational' videos and pics helpful for keeping the goals in mind. A little something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWu3DbtvHKQ&feature=related

A few years ago I lost about 25kg (I was a 'fatty', then I became a 'skinny' very happy in bikinis and short-shorts) by mostly controlling my calorie intake. I didn't have a calorie counting program then so I don't know how many calories I was on, but it makes 1200 look like a feast now . I didn't have much energy like I have now on 1200, but I was healthy overall) There was no plateau point, it just kept dropping off, but towards the end of reaching my goal I got impatient and wanted to push the scale down to what I wanted it to say, so I introduced exercise to the mix and I would go for huge walks to the city centre and back, and then when my fitness built up, I went jogging around the suburb, and this exercise really had a huge and fast effect. ... then, I got married, 'busy', happy, finished my thesis, and as a result of not watching my calories and not exercising, steadily put on 17kg again over two years. This was NOT a fast gain and not a result of any magical end-of-calorie restriction metabolism problem, it was just because I was lazy and ate as much as my tall, physically active husband. So don't worry about any crap they say about 'you will gain the pounds back quicker if you lose weight "too" quickly', just be sensible with your calories when you reach your goal so you don't have to do the hard work all over again to get back there. And don't start a thesis or get married and think that eating as much as a large man is okay. haha.

Good luck with it. You can and will do it if you continiue to work hard.

Thank you so much! Great tips :) And good luck to you as well!
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1100-1600 calories a day, depending on my mood and whether or not I exercise.
    5'2 and ~101. I have zero muscle and don't carry my weight well, though.. lol.
    I'm either trying to maintain or lose very, very slowly. As in, a few pounds within the span of the next year.
  • reppinplates
    reppinplates Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating around 3,700 calories per day and anywhere up to 4,000 on a weight training day. I am gaining weight at a very slow rate, which is my aim at the moment.

It is tiresome to eat so much food sometimes, and the food bills suck. I envy some of you that require so much less to maintain weight.

Ah well. Pay the price, reap the rewards.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My BMR is between 1383 and 1643, I try and eat around 1400-1500. I am 5'4" and weigh about 145.
  • Rommel_V
    Rommel_V Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating around 3,700 calories per day and anywhere up to 4,000 on a weight training day. I am gaining weight at a very slow rate, which is my aim at the moment.

It is tiresome to eat so much food sometimes, and the food bills suck. I envy some of you that require so much less to maintain weight.

Ah well. Pay the price, reap the rewards.

Those protein supplements ain't cheap also, goodluck man!
  • forthespiderqueen
    Options
    1200. I am 5"1 and aiming for 112 pounds (the weight I was before starting the great uni binge xD).I am currently 126 pounds, but have only been on this diet 3 days. The site estimated I would need 1200/per day to lose weight, but moans at me about my body going into starvation mode if I eat a cal less than that. I feel bad going over to though... Is it worth aiming for just under or just over? Will it really have that much of an effect if I only ate 1000 calories?