Having a tough time.

Options
dm123
dm123 Posts: 14 Member
I am getting frustrated. I have gained one pound back this month. That might not seem like a lot but it is backward progress for me. Summer has always been tough for me because I am a teacher and home more. I can't say I don't get enough calories because my daily quota is 1700 or so, and I lose at least a half pound every week if I stick to that. That's another thing.....I read about so many people eating only 1200-1400 calories a day and wonder what is wrong with me because I couldn't live with that. My energy level is also way down, so I haven't been exercising. Encouragement welcome...no haters please....I do that to myself enough! :)

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I know when I go over on my calories- it's not with good fuel. It tends to be food that weighs me down and bloats me up. Perhaps that's why you're not having any energy?

Sometimes I fight tooth and nail to go to the gym, yet once I've started I feel better.

Try not to compare your journey to other people's. The people eating 1200 calories are probably 5'3" and young, or they think they 'have' to eat that little. I'm 5'7" and 1500 a day is pushing it for me! We Polish girls like to eat, I tell ya!

Don't kick yourself too much- there are other people in this world who will do that without your help. :flowerforyou:

It truly is a journey, perhaps review your food journal and exercise journal to see where you think you might need some tweaking.
  • BillieS
    BillieS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To keep the calories down so I CAN lose, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and try to stay away from white carbs as much as possible. Making a big pot of vegetable soup helps me -- especially when I realize I have eaten too many calories for the day. A big bowl of homemade vegetable soup is only 50 calories. I find eating as healthy as possible is the way to go on energy, and don't let well meaning family and friends sabotage you. Keep telling yourself healthy is better. I would rather spend money on healthy foods than give my hard earned money to the doctor and buy prescriptions.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

First, stop kicking yourself

Next, review your food journal and see where you could add nutrition and subtract empty calories

Third, take baby steps in improving your eating and exercising
    eat a little better each day----walk a little farther each day (do you have a pedometer?)

Take it one day at a time----you can do this
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    are you eating a filling breakfast?? I know if I don't eat a high fiber breakfast i am doomed at the gym, there is no way i can work out. What i do is make two buckwheat waffles, spread a littlel bit of natural peanut butter on them and head out the door for work. then i am working out about an hour after that (i have a gym at my office). At the gym I burn about 475 calories jogging. Oh, and i eat just about all of exercise calories. I am on a 1200 calories a day diet and CANNOT eat that little, So i have to work out or i'll feel like i'm starving all day. when i get up to my desk i eat a serving of old fashioned oatmeal w/ fresh blueberries. This is he best way for me to start my day... and i have lots of energy! A big breakfast is the way to go for me!
  • dm123
    dm123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I also have a 1200 calorie allowance, and will feel like I am starving if I eat that little. So, I exercise so that I can earn more calories. Some days that is my only motivation!! I lost 5 pounds in the first 3 weeks, and then I stopped losing. I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either and I was getting really discouraged. So, I started running. On my walks, I put in some running intervals. Where I can I use telephone poles, run to one, walk to the next, but I live in the country so there aren't many, so I run until I can't run another step, and then walk until my heart rate comes back down and run again. I am down 2 pounds this week, so it is working. Also, I am a firm believer in weight lifting to make more muscle. Muscle burns tons of calories, so start doing crunches and biceps curls and pushups (on your knees if you can't manage a "regular" pushup). Every bit of muscle that you build is your friend. It helps burn more calories, and as you age it helps keep you young. I turned 40 this year, and I am really working on turning back that clock as much as possible.

Don't give up, you can do it! If what you're doing isn't working, just change it up a little bit. :happy:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? :smile:

Give us a idea of what kind of food you eat on a average day and we may be able to help. :flowerforyou:
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue but I only have myself to blame. After finally busting through my plateau I celebrated did a happy dance and treated myself, well I guess my happy dance didn't burn enough of the celebratory calories and I have gained 2 pounds :angry: . I am gonna get back on track because today is a new day. Good Luck to you! BTW I am one of those people who is alloted 1200 calories but with exercise I can have close to 1600.