Replies

• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I have time to read it all
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Not disagreeing with you, just allot people in general on these forums instantly say " You should increase your calories"
    Which 9 times out of ten is the wrong advice to be giving. Most people get stuck because they don't lower their calories as their weight drops to remain in a deficit. Most people dont realise just how low you have to go sometimes in order to lose weight.
    It sucks but very true. Btw please post up links to these study s That say If you are undereating, your loss will stall out. i would be interested to read these.

I am very confused like many of those newbies here...however as far as I have seen, most of the people who ask questions about plateaus have already been on a 1200 calories...would you suggest them lower the calories? I am not challening your point just honestly curious...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Not disagreeing with you, just allot people in general on these forums instantly say " You should increase your calories"
    Which 9 times out of ten is the wrong advice to be giving. Most people get stuck because they don't lower their calories as their weight drops to remain in a deficit. Most people dont realise just how low you have to go sometimes in order to lose weight.
    It sucks but very true. Btw please post up links to these study s That say If you are undereating, your loss will stall out. i would be interested to read these.

Here are a few.

•MayoClinic.com: Metabolism and Weight Loss
    •Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Losing Weight
    •PloS One: Metabolic and Behavioral Compensations in Response to Caloric Restriction: Implications for the Maintenance of Weight Loss
    •Journal of Applied Physiology: Effect of Calorie Restriction on the Free-Living Physical Activity Levels of Nonobese Humans: Results of Three Randomized Trials

In addition to the reason you listed, in clinical trails on dieting, subjects underreport intake pretty consistently. However, when people are recording like they are here are they are under BMR and recording accurately and very active and not eating back exercise calories, that is just a formula for a weight loss stall. Additionally, every 12 weeks or so, dieters should take a week or 2 at maintenance in order to reset hormonal responses to diet.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    "Stop eating all together" to lose more weight? Wow...this is the probably the closest thing I have heard to the "death camp"...They were skinny alright...but dead. Please....
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I am very confused like many of those newbies here...however as far as I have seen, most of the people who ask questions about plateaus have already been on a 1200 calories...would you suggest them lower the calories? I am not challening your point just honestly curious...
    Im on 1400 calories a day most days and a male do i look like im starving? because i certainly am not
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Here are a few.

•PloS One: Metabolic and Behavioral Compensations in Response to Caloric Restriction: Implications for the Maintenance of Weight Loss
    •Journal of Applied Physiology: Effect of Calorie Restriction on the Free-Living Physical Activity Levels of Nonobese Humans: Results of Three Randomized Trials

In addition to the reason you listed, in clinical trails on dieting, subjects underreport intake pretty consistently. However, when people are recording like they are here are they are under BMR and recording accurately and very active and not eating back exercise calories, that is just a formula for a weight loss stall. Additionally, every 12 weeks or so, dieters should take a week or 2 at maintenance in order to reset hormonal responses to diet.
    Thanks for the links, will read them when i have time.
    mmapags don't forget allot of people here may log their food. but many do not log liqid calories that they drink, most of all milk that goes in their coffee not to mention coffee itself, add that up for a whole 7 days and that could potentially be enough to throw a spanner in the works. So for someone to just say off a whim increase your calories is just ridiculous. I cant be assed to get into huge debates over this. so i will let people make of this thread what they will.
  • mmapags
    Options

Here are a few.

mmapags don't forget allot of people here may log their food. but many do not log liqid calories that they drink, most of all milk that goes in their coffee not to mention coffee itself, add that up for a whole 7 days and that could potentially be enough to throw a spanner in the works. So for someone to just say off a whim increase your calories is just ridiculous. I cant be assed to get into huge debates over this. so i will let people make of this thread what they will.

Agreed that not all accurately log calories but there is no way to measure that so you make your recomedations taking what they tell you at face value. When you plug the young lady's number's in you saw what I got. There are also a lot of people who, once they decide they are done being overweight, they go from one extreme to the other and drop down to 1200 calories to lose as fast as they can. That can lead to a stall and it doesn't develop the habits and life style changes to insure the weight stay off.

ps: You stated your calories on most days. What are they on training days?
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Here are a few.

Agreed that not all accurately log calories but there is no way to measure that so you make your recomedations taking what they tell you at face value. When you plug the young lady's number's in you saw what I got. There are also a lot of people who, once they decide they are done being overweight, they go from one extreme to the other and drop down to 1200 calories to lose as fast as they can. That can lead to a stall and it doesn't develop the habits and life style changes to insure the weight stay off.

ps: You stated your calories on most days. What are they on training days?
    I agree mmapags dropping calories to aggressively is bad, the body needs time to get used to the lowered calorie intake. Thats why im not starving the days i eat 1400 kcals my body has adjusted to the gradual decrease. If i were to drop kcals like a stone i would be starving not literally but yes very uncomfortable.

Twice a week i eat 2190kcals on my heaviest lifting days. I lift 3x a week and do cardio 5 days a week.
    Steady state cardio walking about 3.5mph incline of 10. 20mins after lifting, 30mins on days i don't lift
  • sarri44
    sarri44 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are all making my head spin! But some great points have been brought up that I haven't thought of. However, I don't feel that dropping my calorie intake even further and upping the intensity and pushing my body harder on less calories is the way to go. Just doesn't seem right...the body needs sufficient fuel. As far as upping my calories, I think upping them a bit and seeing how that goes is a good place to start. I do think that eating LESS calories would cause the body to know it isn't getting enough support for the level of activity it's doing, so it will "hold on" to all extra calories..I know it's not in "technical" terminology so I hope my thought process makes sense! I plan on changing up my routine (increasing weight and incorporate more intervals whether it be running or with aerobics), and switching up the foods I eat. I have been getting into a routine of eating the same things for breakfast and lunch. Maybe try some new foods.
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    People do way to much cardio, it can actually be counter-productive!
    Some of the amounts people do is crazy.
    I know from experience if i do **** loads of cardio on low calories my weight loss slows dramatically.
    If i do 20 30 mins 5x a week its all good.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I know from experience if i do **** loads of cardio on low calories my weight loss slows dramatically.

I could not agree more! I have found that when I decrease my steady state moderate intensity cardio andn increase my strength training I do best. Right not it's strength 2 times a week, one hour or so moderate intensity steady state (bike ride), one HIIT and usually one 3 mile walk. That's plenty of cardio!
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

I could not agree more! I have found that when I decrease my steady state moderate intensity cardio andn increase my strength training I do best. Right not it's strength 2 times a week, one hour or so moderate intensity steady state (bike ride), one HIIT and usually one 3 mile walk. That's plenty of cardio!
    Thats a sensible amount there mmapags :smile: