Fat2Fit Philosophy, wondering what others think.

Options
I came across a link for fat2fit radio earlier on another message board and started listening to a few of their shows and they say that you should eat and exercise as if you already weigh your goal weight. Now I'm currently set to eat 1520 calories a day but if i were to change it to my goal weight and maintenance mode instead I'd be eating about 2100 calories a day. I'm wondering what others think of this? And is anyone actually doing this on mfp?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it's an interesting idea, though it will take infinite time for you to get to be the person you are eating to be. I guess most will follow the advice on f2f to subtract 100-300 calories to speed things up a bit.
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am trying their suggestions now so we shall see how it works!. I am eating about 150-200 less than maintenance at my goal because I have about 15 pounds to go.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am trying their suggestions now so we shall see how it works!. I am eating about 150-200 less than maintenance at my goal because I have about 15 pounds to go.

I'd like to know if it works.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I came across a link for fat2fit radio earlier on another message board and started listening to a few of their shows and they say that you should eat and exercise as if you already weigh your goal weight. Now I'm currently set to eat 1520 calories a day but if i were to change it to my goal weight and maintenance mode instead I'd be eating about 2100 calories a day. I'm wondering what others think of this? And is anyone actually doing this on mfp?

Mathematically and scientifically it cannot fail, as eating to be someone slimmer than you are means you're eating less than what sustains your weight as you are now. Lots of people do it on MFP - the Eat More to Weigh Less groups is composed almost entirely of people on the plan, and I myself have had good success with the same methodology.

The key principle is that the weight loss will be sustainable because you'll be used to exercising and eating at a level that will maintain your goal weight.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Mathematically and scientifically it cannot fail, as eating to be someone slimmer than you are means you're eating less than what sustains your weight as you are now. Lots of people do it on MFP - the Eat More to Weigh Less groups is composed almost entirely of people on the plan, and I myself have had good success with the same methodology.

The key principle is that the weight loss will be sustainable because you'll be used to exercising and eating at a level that will maintain your goal weight.

I am, more or less. I input my stuff into MFP differently than the Eat More to Weigh Less group tracks (for various personal reasons), but the philosophy is the same. It's slow and steady, but it's working for me. As I get closer to my goal weight I might drop by 200 cals just to keep it going.

14839892.png
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 2 weeks and have dropped a good deal of water weight and have not had any trouble at all following the eating plan. Before, I was binging constantly from under-eating all week. With this, I'm completely satisfied. I make sure I hit a minimum of 110g of protein a day and then use the rest of the calories (up to 2100 except on heavy workout days, then it's about 2300) for anything I want - fruit, candy, pasta, wine, whatever!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have done something similar it is is working well for me.

I figured out what my calories should be if I did not workout at my goal weight. For me that is 1634. Now I still log my workouts and the calories burned, but I only eat a part of those calories back. Example last week I burned 1500 calories riding my bike to work, but I only ate about 2100 calories that day. I try to stay about 100 calories below the 1634 on my non-workout days.