~*~ Fat girl lifting ~*~

Options

Replies

• LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This is my experience. I am a fat girl who lifts :)

I was 275 lbs, I lost 26lbs on my own but then plateaued I suppose you would call it. Then I found MPF. I watched my cals, recorded my exercise and ate my cals back accordingly. I have always been a cyclist so I worked out for an hour a day on my stationary bike.

Then I noticed as the weight dropped, I had to work out longer to burn the same cals. I have a job, a house to run and a young family, I do not have 3 hours a day to workout.

I came across a thread here which talked about how heavy lifting at a deficit burned fat more efficiently than cardio and if you could manage a combination of the two, you have a winning combination. I remembered my Dad, who is a builder always said "you will never see a fat scaffolder" - those metal poles are HEAVY! and all that climbing has to make an amazing cardio workout.

So I ordered some 5kg hand weights and a 10kg bar, strapped on my heart rate monitor and continously lifted in a variety of positions for 30 mins. In 30 mins of lifting, I burned the same as 62 mins on the bike. I was covered in sweat and panting again I finished (attractive!) That was 25 days ago. I now lift for 3 days in a row, rest for 1 and lift for 3 again etc. etc. This is a programme designed by my physio as I had problem with a slipped disk earlier on this year.

So on average, I lift 30 mins a day, 6 days one week and 5 days the next. I burn about 400 cals each time (I weigh 235lbs atm) and I have not gained a mm on my arms, waist or back. On the contrary, I have lost 2.5 inches off my waist, 1 inch off my biceps, half an inch off my neck and seem to have more energy, stamina and endurance when it comes to my cardio.

I think most fat girls who lift will tell you a similar story.
  • samanthanic0le
    samanthanic0le Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You guys have made my day. Js. :)
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... even at my considerable weight - my 'back fat' has all but disappeared (lat pulldowns and seated row did that), my arms now fit into jackets - any jackets - and I can bend them (chest press and shoulder press, I think). My legs are more toned and much slimmer (thank you, leg press!). I also do the stationary bike, elliptical trainer and row but mostly lifting weights, I've seen really good results quite quickly and it motivates me to continue.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what post you are talking about, and you have to consider who the responses we're coming from- 90% were from men. Typically yes there are two phases "gaining" and "cutting" that body builders cycle through to maximize muscle gain and fat loss. This is what BODY BUILDERS do, and because you're not trying to be Arnold, you're just a normal girl looking to drop some pounds, this doesn't really apply to you. Cycling through these phases and only for people who are trying to compete, but if you just want to be healthy and strong than you should always do weight lifting. Have a solid, muscular foundation will increase your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories while at rest. Increasing your muscle mass will also help to reshape your body and make you leaner and tighter.

Also, you can lift weights and eat a defect, as long as the defect is small (no more than 300 calories) and you make sure to get plenty of protein (if you protein is too low you will suffer). Keeping a small deficit will help maximize your fat loss. If you cut the deficit too much though, you won't be able to get stronger and you may feel weak. Also limits carbs and grains, load up and on protein and veggies instead.

Scullion made an excellent post talking and I agree with their recommendations, about 3 days of lifting a week with two days of cardio.

Now get out there and pick up those weights girl!!!!
  • PurpleCoookie
    PurpleCoookie Posts: 334
    Options
    I might have to get serious with weight training. I'm 308 so I thought I have to wait then lift heavy. Nice to know I should start now. My weight been stalling for some time now
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've been lifting since the start of my weight loss. i'm doing nrol4w though but also eat around 1800 calories. i started out at 224 pounds and have lost 25 so far and have lost lots of inches.
    dont be afraid of lifting heavy now since it'll help make sure to save as much muscle as possible while you're losing
  • samanthanic0le
    Options
    I might have to get serious with weight training. I'm 308 so I thought I have to wait then lift heavy. Nice to know I should start now. My weight been stalling for some time now

I'm glad this thread helped you.

Thanks everyone!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat girl lifting :)

I've been doing StrongLifts and also work out with a trainer to do strength training (as opposed to focusing on weightloss).

I lift heavy (I'm currently Deadlifting 60kgs (132lbs)) and my body has made more improvements in the time I've been lifting than in any other part of my weightloss.

I recommend that you start lifting straight away :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Definately start lifting straight away. The main thing to understand though, is that you might need to completely change your idea of a goal weight. Personally I have been lifting heavy for about 3 years, keeping in mind that for decent periods of that time I was eating a surplus, I have built decent muscle. I am now wearing the same size clothing as I was at 21yrs old, but I am over 10kg heavier in weight.
  • samanthanic0le
    Options
    Definately start lifting straight away. The main thing to understand though, is that you might need to completely change your idea of a goal weight. Personally I have been lifting heavy for about 3 years, keeping in mind that for decent periods of that time I was eating a surplus, I have built decent muscle. I am now wearing the same size clothing as I was at 21yrs old, but I am over 10kg heavier in weight.

I agree. I don't think I'll end up very low weight wise. I'm okay with that though. I'd rather be 150-160 pounds of muscle versus 130 pounds of just skin/bones. (I'm not saying 130 is skin and bones on everyone, but for my frame it would be)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    beginners can gain muscle on a deficit. the leaner and stronger the lifter, the harder it is to increase muscle mass without a surplus.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day (last week on the forums, I think) someone finally clarified this a little bit better because we are using the terminology wrong for the most part (I am guilty of this too!). We talk about "building" muscle, and not being able to "build" muscle on a deficit. That is where it gets sticky, because what we are trying to do is get rid of the layer on top to expose the muscle underneath, so we eat at a deficit. As we lift, we get stronger, but there is no new muscle fibers being created because we are eating at a deficit. We are just stimulating our brain to strenghthen those fibers, while at the same time, working on removing the body fat on top.

One of the guys that knows this stuff better than me can probably explain it in more technical terms and correct my meager attempts at explaining it the way I see it, but I think that is the actual general idea. We just keep saying "building" muscle and "bulking" but everyone says that you can't do that eating under maintenance, and that is true. We mean that we are reducing our body fat so you can see the nice pretty muscle underneath :wink:

In summation: Yes, lift weights, eat at about 15-20% below TDEE, and you will remove the layer of body fat on top, expose the nice muscles underneath, and get stronger and healthier and smaller!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day (last week on the forums, I think) someone finally clarified this a little bit better because we are using the terminology wrong for the most part (I am guilty of this too!). We talk about "building" muscle, and not being able to "build" muscle on a deficit. That is where it gets sticky, because what we are trying to do is get rid of the layer on top to expose the muscle underneath, so we eat at a deficit. As we lift, we get stronger, but there is no new muscle fibers being created because we are eating at a deficit. We are just stimulating our brain to strenghthen those fibers, while at the same time, working on removing the body fat on top.

One of the guys that knows this stuff better than me can probably explain it in more technical terms and correct my meager attempts at explaining it the way I see it, but I think that is the actual general idea. We just keep saying "building" muscle and "bulking" but everyone says that you can't do that eating under maintenance, and that is true. We mean that we are reducing our body fat so you can see the nice pretty muscle underneath :wink:

In summation: Yes, lift weights, eat at about 15-20% below TDEE, and you will remove the layer of body fat on top, expose the nice muscles underneath, and get stronger and healthier and smaller!

This is totally true!!

The other thing to note is that you can and will increase the amount you lift, particularly on compound movements, regardless of deficit. The thing that many people seem to underestimate is simply learning the technique. Your squat will keep improving, I estimate, for at least the first 6-8 months purely because you are learning how to do it properly, you're getting confidence with the weight. So if you're like me and you are motivated by performance, not just aesthetics, this can be an awesome benefit to proper strength training. Being able to watch my performance improve has gotten me through periods of stagnation on the weight-loss front, that I think would have made me give up had I only been motivated to exercise by the scales!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Just wanted to send the invite out. A great group of supportive ladies.
  • Ifraj01
    Ifraj01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    beginners can gain muscle on a deficit. the leaner and stronger the lifter, the harder it is to increase muscle mass without a surplus.

minimal amount and newb gains last maybe 6-8 months.

I would like to point out there is a significant difference between GAINING muscle and getting stronger.

Gaining muscle is indicating size growth- of the muscle- not water retention (anyone who lifts has that).

Gaining strength can be done within limitations on a deficit- there is point where you will max out your ability to get stronger on a deficit- the leaner you are- the more difficult it is- which is why people often do bulk/cut cycles- for strength and or appearance.

But yes- lifting- MOAR LIFTING.

Eat at a calorie deficit- maximize fat loss by lifting- it helps maintain muscle you have- and helps you get stronger so when you are closer to target goal you are a fitter more cut version of you- rather than just a smaller version of the big you.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    I was 230 lbs at 5'4" and I'm now 129 lbs (still at 5'4" :) ) and I've been lifting since the beginning.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Talk about a ghost thread.
    And the OP has deactivated even.
  • egawne14
    egawne14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is no way that weight lifting will be pointless!! Results, especially on the scale will be frustrating but take it from someone who is trying weight lifting out for the first time.. Once i started to lift (and im still pretty new) I felt better doing cardio.. so now when i do cardio 2/3x a week my body respondes better and hopefully it gives an added boost to my weight loss!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what post you are talking about, and you have to consider who the responses we're coming from- 90% were from men. Typically yes there are two phases "gaining" and "cutting" that body builders cycle through to maximize muscle gain and fat loss. This is what BODY BUILDERS do, and because you're not trying to be Arnold, you're just a normal girl looking to drop some pounds, this doesn't really apply to you. Cycling through these phases and only for people who are trying to compete, but if you just want to be healthy and strong than you should always do weight lifting. Have a solid, muscular foundation will increase your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories while at rest. Increasing your muscle mass will also help to reshape your body and make you leaner and tighter.

Also, you can lift weights and eat a defect, as long as the defect is small (no more than 300 calories) and you make sure to get plenty of protein (if you protein is too low you will suffer). Keeping a small deficit will help maximize your fat loss. If you cut the deficit too much though, you won't be able to get stronger and you may feel weak. Also limits carbs and grains, load up and on protein and veggies instead.

Scullion made an excellent post talking and I agree with their recommendations, about 3 days of lifting a week with two days of cardio.

Now get out there and pick up those weights girl!!!!

Just want to point out - body builders are not the only ones doing bulking and cutting cycles.

Many athletes do to get into their weight class, and ordinary people who want to improve our %BF and 1) can't cut down and be healthy (not high enough starting weight), or 2) don't particularly want to go through life on the lower end of BMI == not being able to eat much, or 3) want to be stronger than we can manage with our current muscle mass, or 4) all of the above, like me. I'm just now cutting after my 1st bulk. If you ever want a nice how to, head over to the gaining weight forum and look at the stickies.

Oh, and BTW - make sure you get enough protein while lifting and cutting. Eat 1g / lb of lean body mass (estimate by taking 0.8 * current weight - this'll give you more than enough) per day. Make sure you get enough fats - I think the recommendation there is a minimum of 0.35 g / lb of body weight (can't remember) and fill in the rest with carbs. Source is not all that important as far as maintaining muscle goes - simple carbs, complex carbs, doesn't matter.