On a marathon, can people jump in?

Options
I am doing my first half in about 6 weeks. Have been considering a full in October. The more I read, the more I think it sounds like a bigger challenge than I might have expected.
I was thinking, if a friend could run with me for a few miles (say miles 21-24) it might help. I have looked at many FAQ sections of marathon sites, but a lot of them don't address this. They address iPods but not people. I am guessing it's often not accepted, but I figured it was worth asking you guys.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Depends on the course, the race, etc. Technically, if you are not registered, you are not allowed to be on the course. Most race offiicals will not bother with you unless you are causing issues or if the person you are assisting is contending for $$ or placement. I would research what experience others have had with the particular race.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know people jump in during the Chicago marathon and run with friends or family for a bit. Some friends of mine ran it in October of 2010 and also said they really appreciated seeing people towards the end of the race, whether they jumped in to run or just came with a sign to support. It helps to let them know what you're wearing during the race and which group you're in (10 minute mile, etc.) so they can find you easily. Good luck to you!
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're not an elite runner, I don't see why this would be a big deal. That person should not be at the starting line or cross the finish line though and I wouldn't do it at a marathon like Boston, NYC or London. Chances are no one will notice as long as that person is motivating and stays out of other people's way. I would guess if you directly ask the marathon organizers, they will say no due to liability issues.