Vitamin/Supplements that you suggest.

Options
CallieM15
CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
I am not sure what exactly I should be taking.. I eat a high protien diet, lower in veggies, ~1cup of veggies a day/ (I know I should up that..) Little to no fruit. Mainly meats, cheese, broccoli, spinach, eggs. I eat ~1200-1500 calories. I have glucose/insulin issues so my diet is little to no sugar.

What should I be taking vitamin wise? Should I be looking for something else that might give me more energy/minerals??? Something?

This is what I take already:
B12
Prenatal ( because doctor said its a good daily vit, and to grow my nails/hair stronger)
D3 - I live in Alaska 9 months of the year I get little sunlight.

2heiteh.jpg
24b88sj.jpg
2zqdbhk.jpg

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Eat a higher ratio of carbohydrates and be sure to combine with some fat and some protein if you have blood glucose problems (fat and protein will greatly slow down the rate carbohydrates get converted to sugars)
    If you insist on keeping sugar low, stick to vegetable sources for your carbohydrates
  • CallieM15
    Options
    Eat a higher ratio of carbohydrates and be sure to combine with some fat and some protein if you have blood glucose problems (fat and protein will greatly slow down the rate carbohydrates get converted to sugars)
    If you insist on keeping sugar low, stick to vegetable sources for your carbohydrates

Thats what Im doing now, all the carbs I get are from veggies. were still trying to figure out my glucose issues. I just found out a week ago that my body is having problems. So the doctor said eat really low caarb until I get all my tests done.

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For those with metabolic issues that require a low carb diet you'll probably want to do the following:

D3
    Magnesium Citrate
    B12 (potentially, get your levels checked)
    CoQ10

Beyond that you should be getting what you need from your food, generally low carb diets aren't lacking in minerals or vitamins much, and upping your leafy greens intake, or low glycemic vegtables in general should provide anything you're missing. No need to up carbs at all, as that will be highly detrimental to your issue.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I mean, go with some vegetables with higher carbohydrate content like potatoe, peas, carrots, etc.
    Greens have very little calories/carbohydrates in comparison and odds are you aren't getting enough carbs from them alone

If you exercise or are just having fatigue from various activities you are going to need more carbohydrates for fuel
    If you do not regularly exercise, low carb is perfectly fine
  • CallieM15
    Options
    For those with metabolic issues that require a low carb diet you'll probably want to do the following:

D3
    Magnesium Citrate
    B12 (potentially, get your levels checked)
    CoQ10

Beyond that you should be getting what you need from your food, generally low carb diets aren't lacking in minerals or vitamins much, and upping your leafy greens intake, or low glycemic vegtables in general should provide anything you're missing. No need to up carbs at all, as that will be highly detrimental to your issue.

Thanks! I will look into Magnesium Citrate, whats CoQ10?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Thats what Im doing now, all the carbs I get are from veggies. were still trying to figure out my glucose issues. I just found out a week ago that my body is having problems. So the doctor said eat really low caarb until I get all my tests done.

Listen to your doc. If she says eat really low carbs, then eat really low carbs.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    D3 (I live in WA), B12, Fish oil capsules, Flaxseed oil in my smoothies, maca root powder (tastes good, supposed to help with energy), multivitamin, acacia fiber

I think that's it?

I eat low carb (well, except the pile o brownies yesterday). My carbs come from natural sources-- fruits and veggies.
  • CallieM15
    Options

I eat low carb (well, except the pile o brownies yesterday). My carbs come from natural sources-- fruits and veggies.

LOL, dont you love it when that happens? Brownies are evil!

Im gonna look into the fiber thing you mentioned...
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Omegas from fish oil or flax seed are really important.
  • CallieM15
    Options
    Omegas from fish oil or flax seed are really important.

Flaxseed makes me mensturate irregularly... I used to eat ground flax (muffins, pancakes, bread) and it always made me spot! As soon as I stoped eating it, it was normal, then eat again and it screws it up again...

I need to find a fish oil that isnt fishy...
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options

EASY PEASY you can get them in a pill :)
  • CallieM15
    Options

EASY PEASY you can get them in a pill :)

Is that name of one?

Ive tried a omega 3 once, and not sure what brand, but it made me have a yucky aftertaste for hours.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I take the Barleans Omega Swirl. Does not have any bad taste. They have pill versions as well.

http://www.barleans.com/omega-swirl.asp
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    Man I've started taking quite a few but I do feel better. I take osteo bi flex glucosamine supplement but that is because I have bad joints and am hoping to run again. I take a fish oil capsule by nature made. It gave the fish burps for the first few days, but now none. I take a super b complex with vit c and folic acid. Vitamin d3 cause I live in Washington. Biotin and selenium because I have a slower metabolism, but these are actually helping that. Biotin helps with metabolism of fats, protien and carbs more efficiently I believe. Thinking about CoQ 10 but am already taking so many lol.