Is being Gluten Free a Fad or .....?!?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Having to go Gluten free is not supposed to be a fad. There are people who have a gluten intolerance, Celiac disease. It's very similar to a lactose intolerance.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    50 years was this gluten disease around? Or could it possibly have been caused by all the crap they dump into all of our processed foods?? (I'm not one to talk, I eat way to much processed foods, I do need to cut back!)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free dining seems to incorporate a multitude of things including, but not limited to a total gluten allergy, a gluten sensitivity, a wheat allergy, and a wheat sensitivity. It's possible to be sensitive to wheat but be able to eat other grains, like oats. It's possible to be allergic to both wheat and oats, because of the proteins in both grains. It's also possible to be sensitive and not allergic.

There are those who say that certain people are more susceptible than others, sort of how some people seem to be more lactose intolerant than others. People who can trace their lineage back to Northern Europe and Eastern Europe are thought to be more susceptible to celiac. Similar to people of Italian, Greek, or Arab descent and G6PD deficiency causing an allergy to Fava beans.

There's also an argument that says that we've completely bastardized the wheat grain through genetic modification, to the point that it's foreign. Gluten-free does NOT mean organic or GMO, just for the record. There's also an argument that says that we're a hunter gatherer species and that we were never meant to eat grain. While I'm sure there's some validity to both arguments, I don't subscribe to either.

My diet's been mostly wheat-free for over a decade. I took wheat out of the diet when I linked looking 5 mos pregnant (distended / hard bloated belly) with eating an entire bagel or two slices of pizza. After I ate either, within a few hours, I went from nice abs to a bloated sack of rock hard tummy crampiness. I also had skin problems and my seasonal allergies were out of control, even on meds.

By taking the wheat out of my diet on my own and by adding the occasional probiotic, my skin's quieted down, my seasonal allergies (and cat allergies) are almost nil, and I'm no longer freaking my family out with my pseudo-pregger bloat. On the occasional chance that enough wheat does sneak in, the bloat returns. (I've gone as far as a half a breaded cheese stick followed by lots of probiotics and have been ok. I made the mistake of eating bread overseas, where the wheat is less modified and my skin flared up something fierce.) I've never tested positive on blood work for Celiac, and I've been GF for too long for it to show up on an endoscopy.

So, no. I personally don't think it's a fad. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

(edited by OP: Italians and Eastern Europeans susceptible to gluten sensitivities, not lactose intolerance. )
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I was just tested and came back that I have a gluten intolrence (no celiac disease) I have been put on a restricted gluten diet and I feel 100% better then I have in years! Bloating and constipation gone! I dont know if its a fad but I feel better!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion it is a fad HOWEVER there are people who have a very legitimate reason (EDIT: Celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivty) to go gluten free and for these people it is in their best interest to do so. In that regard, I'd say it's a fad but I'd put a little asterisk by it.

^^ This.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

Now alot of my friends are gluten free, and most of them will only eat beef that has been grass fed only (really), I'm just saying....Love you guys/gals.

I'm a vegetarian, but I would prefer grass fed cows over corn/grain fed cows if I are meat. Cows are meant to eat grass, not grains/corn/shi t t y *kitten*. And think about it - they're eating food they're not meant to eat, and you're eating them. How do you think that's going to affect you?
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For some, gluten free is a necessity due to a medical condition. For others, its just a fad. People have told me they lost a lot of weight going gluten free without the medical need to, but I've read people lose weight only because it can be pretty restricting.

People who go crazy over eating gluten free (without medical reasons) make me roll my eyes more than Dr. Oz does.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was told I had an intolerance to gluten from a blood test...then was tested again by an Allergist who said I wasn't. IMO, know for sure if gluten isn't productive to your body. Besides, most 'gluten free' foods (that I found) are higher in calories, so why would one want to go gluten-free if they aren't allergic to it? And yes, I think many jump on the bandwagon of these findings that come out in the media thinking it may ante up their weightloss speed. :huh:
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    My husband has a disease which makes it so his body doesnt process anything with gluten. Everytime he eats something with gluten in it he gets hella sick...It isnt a fad, its a condition.

Gluten is in ALOT if not most everything so its really hard not too lose weight if you go gluten free because there is only a certain amount of things that you can eat!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    50 years was this gluten disease around? Or could it possibly have been caused by all the crap they dump into all of our processed foods?? (I'm not one to talk, I eat way to much processed foods, I do need to cut back!)

It was around, but it's more common now.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/celiac-disease-becoming-more-common/
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What's so bad about organic foods or wanting to have beef that is slightly more humanely raised?

I do not understand your objection to these...
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    No its not a fad. There are many people with celiac which means they cannot handle gluten, and if eaten can eventually lead to cancer.
    I definitely have gluten intolerance, so I choose to not eat it 90% of the time. If I eat gluten one day out of the week, it's not going to be a problem, but if I keep eating it, I get incredibly painful gas, bloating and stomach issues. So it's better for me to stay away from it. But an occasionally product with gluten in it won't be bad. For celiacs. They cannot have it.

If you are choosing to go gluten free to "diet" well than that is a fad, plus a lot of gluten free foods are high in calories, so I don't know how anyone uses this as a diet, unless they are just doing low carb and calling it gluten free.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of a fad. There are real celiacs out there, but *so* many people are complaining about gluten lately, I think it's become a form of hypochondria.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    We have a large patient-case load with moderate to severe cases of gluten allergies. We also have a fairly good sized patient case load that are gluten sensitive (mild and in some cases moderate)...

There was a restaurant chef/owner out of...I want to say North Carolina who claimed to have a gluten-free baked goods, but he never did...

http://www.celiaccentral.org/celiac-disease-in-the-news/Celiac-in-the-News/161/vobid--2362/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+Gluten-Free-News+(Gluten+Free+News+|+NFCA)

Also here: http://glutenfreeraleigh.blogspot.com/2010/02/nc-vs-great-specialty-products-update.html

Gluten issues are very real....

The sucky part about being diagnosed, I cant tell you the loopholes I have to jump through to get insurances to give a prior authorization for my GI doctors to perform diagnostic tests. The majority of the insurances REQUIRE the patient to have both a colonoscopy AND an Upper GI series done before they will consider a "Wireless Caps Endoscopy" - this involves swallowing a large pill camera so we can view the small intestine. Its so much easier to just have the patient swallow the pill cam, but NOPE, you have to put the patient through freaking hell by having an upper and lower scope FIRST... when its cheaper for the patient to just swallow the pill cam and get much better results, its more reliable and costs less than the Upper/Lower scoping combined!!!!

People who arent in this category of allergic or sensitive, there are GI physicians who will recommend eliminating things to see how the body responds after a period of time. Ive worked for some very prominent GI surgeons in my time and they will always tell a patient that doesnt fit the category "consider eliminating it for 6 months completely" and then come back in for your follow up with a diary of information/tracking to see how you feel.. they will then be asked to have gluten-type products to see how their body reacts. Often, the patient needs to seek medical care because after reintroducing the gluten-item after going 6 months without, the body will either react or full out reject...

Definitely food for thought on multiple levels
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I would never have gone GF if I didn't have to!

I break out in hives, itch like mad, get swollen terribly achy joints and amazingly horrible stomachaches from eating: wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, gluten free oats (seriously pisses me off), and occasionally, I will react to corn. I can eat brown rice and white rice with no issues.

Once I was diagnosed, I started reading labels of absolutely EVERYTHING - and that horrifying experience has led me to go to buying organic, local veggies, grass fed beef, organic eggs, and local farm raised organic pork and chicken. Oh, and wild caught fish.

I also - during the 20 million blood tests - found that I'm insulin resistant, so I had to cut out sugar as well. (good times, that)

It's a personal choice to go this far, and it's also taken me a very long time to get here.

But damn, I miss pizza! And Taco Bell!

We're going through similar issues with one of our daughters. The list of foods that she's sensitive to is challenging at best, and soul crushing at worst. Luckily rice and potatoes are fine, but many other grains, and LOTS of fruits are out. We're trying to work back as many foods as we can, but usually when we re-introduce, she's sick again. Damn. She longs for pizza and tacos also. We gave in one day and went to a local taco joint. No tortillas of any sort, no cheese, and only limited salsa (she's sensitive to citrus). And she still hurt that night. Damn! We make nachos with lentil chips. Surprisingly, pretty darn good!

People can fad diet all they like. But there are large numbers of people who eat what they do because they have to. You'd be wise to understand this before posting a post which hints at intolerance or misunderstanding.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    For some, gluten free is a necessity due to a medical condition. For others, its just a fad. People have told me they lost a lot of weight going gluten free without the medical need to, but I've read people lose weight only because it can be pretty restricting.

People who go crazy over eating gluten free (without medical reasons) make me roll my eyes more than Dr. Oz does.

There IS truth to losing weight, since a lot of GF options low carb if a GF substitute is not available. Where grilled chicken and linguini might've been an option, if no GF pasta option is available, subbing steamed broccoli for the linguini makes it, essentially GF.

The other piece to this is that by going GF, you're cutting out a lot of easily accessible junk when GF alternatives aren't available. No office birthday cake. No cookies from the counter at the diner. No muffins or bagels when someone brings them into work. No licorice when someone offers you some. No cone for the ice cream. No pancakes, waffles, or toast for Sunday brunch. Since GF options are also often more expensive, there's justification not to buy them. GF sugar wafers start at $4 a box for half of what a "normal" pack costs...
  • r_madd
    r_madd Posts: 8
    Options
    For some people it's a fad, for others it's survival.

Celiac disease is where gluten causes a reaction in the stomach where the stomach lining becomes scared. When scar tissue builds up, nutrients can't be absorbed and a person can become malnourished. People with celiac disease can not eat any gluten.

People who are gluten sensitive (this includes me) have the same reaction but it is less severe. We need to avoid gluten but can eat small amount occasionally without any noticeable reaction. For instance, I started eating oats more often because I took bad advice that oats were gluten-free. After about 6 weeks my stomach was bloated, food sat like a lump in my stomach, and there was this odd feeling of being full & hungry at the same time... also bowel movements didn't look right. My doctor said to stop the oats.

The good news is that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity can be managed very easily with a gluten free diet. For people who do have a problem with gluten, if we eat gluten free for a period of time, the stomach lining will generate healthy tissue and nutrient absorption will return to normal.

If you do not have a gluten problem, then there is no reason to eat gluten-free.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    GLUTEN? I EFING LOVE GLUTEN NOM NOM NOMZ
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    For some it's a fad but there appears to be a trend in food allergies and other medical issues related to a high gluten content diet. Gluten food allergies and Celiac's Disease are very real and require the person to simply avoid gluten. Most people I have come across with Celiac's also have to avoid dairy. My 62 yr old mom was diagnosed with Celiac's last December so I've had to do some research into it. And I need to get tested for it since Celiac's can be passed genetically.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    For some people it's a fad, for others it's survival.

Celiac disease is where gluten causes a reaction in the stomach where the stomach lining becomes scared. When scar tissue builds up, nutrients can't be absorbed and a person can become malnourished. People with celiac disease can not eat any gluten.

People who are gluten sensitive (this includes me) have the same reaction but it is less severe. We need to avoid gluten but can eat small amount occasionally without any noticeable reaction. For instance, I started eating oats more often because I took bad advice that oats were gluten-free. After about 6 weeks my stomach was bloated, food sat like a lump in my stomach, and there was this odd feeling of being full & hungry at the same time... also bowel movements didn't look right. My doctor said to stop the oats.

The good news is that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity can be managed very easily with a gluten free diet. For people who do have a problem with gluten, if we eat gluten free for a period of time, the stomach lining will generate healthy tissue and nutrient absorption will return to normal.

If you do not have a gluten problem, then there is no reason to eat gluten-free.

Look for gluten free oats (Bob's Red Mill brand or similar). A lot of oats are processed in facilities that also process wheat products and there can be significant contamination. Oats by themselves technically are gluten free. However I would not want to cross your doctor's advice of simple avoidance if it is working for you.