MAJORLY Frustrated

Options
2»

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    No offense to you or anything. I'm going to be honest with you. Your food choices are horrible...you don't even have a gram of fiber to rub together on most days. It's no wonder you don't lose anything. On any diet plan there's a good way to do it and a bad way. Oscar Mayer franks, a lot of meat, fatty dressings and sauces, etc... There's barely any vegetables (vegetables are naturally low carb). When I mean vegetables I mean large large large servings of them. Atkins diet does not restrict you from eating vegetables. I wouldn't go on any random diet without RESEARCHING first. It's not a trial and error thing! Knowledge of what you should be eating and shouldn't be eating would be very helpful to you (read some books, go on the internet and search it up). I would give you advice on what to eat, but I have no experience with Atkins.

This is what I was going to say here...............

I am on Atkins and what you are doing is NOT ATKINS.....................

Atkins advises AGAINST eating processed foods such as deli meats, hot dogs, sausages, etc.........meats filled with nitrates and other chemicals are not good for you.

Where are your salad veggies or other veggies...............

Here is a copy of the rules for induction and the Acceptable food list. Atkins is about eating natural foods, so you will have to cook and prepare to be successful. Also, Atkins is not a quick fix. If you can't commit to this being a lifetime of eating and going through ALL 4 PHASES, then do NOT continue on Atkins.

That is why there is so much negative media about Atkins is because people do not go about it in the correct way............

http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPhases/WhatIsInduction/HowToStart.aspx

HOW TO START INDUCTION

Net carbohydrates during this phase:

20 grams per dayRemember, by reducing carbs and eating the right foods – lean protein, leafy greens, vegetables and sweet Atkins snacks, you’ll supercharge your metabolism and turn your body into a fat burning machine. To understand how net carbs differ from total carbs see - What are net carbs?

What you’ll eat during this phase:

You’ll satisfy your appetite with delicious and healthy foods, starting with protein – chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, shellfish, pork, veal, eggs, and a variety of vegetable proteins.
    You’ll enjoy natural fats – olive oil, safflower oil, butter and avocado, and more.
    You’ll eat leafy greens and vegetables – salad greens and non-starchy vegetables should make up around 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day. (See the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1 for more information)
    As part of your daily 20 grams of net carbs, you can also have the following – every day:

Up to 4 ounces of cheese
    10 to 20 olives - they make a great quick snack
    Half an avocado
    An ounce of sour cream or 3 ounces of unsweetened cream in your coffee
    Up to 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
    One to two servings of Atkins bars or shakes. Check the packaging to see which ones are right for Induction (less than 5 grams of net carbs).
    * A note about artificial sweeteners: You can use sucralose or saccharin as a sweeter. Just be sure to count each packet as 1 gram of net carbs due to the fillers manufacturers add. You may also drink diet beverages that contain these sweeteners as well as sugar-free gelatin.

What you’ll avoid during this phase:Added sugars and trans fats.

Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, yams, and squash
    Bread, pasta, and grains. If you feel you absolutely must eat these types of foods, choose high-fiber, low-carb varieties with no more than 3 grams of net carbs per serving. Be sure to limit yourself to one serving a day.
    Whole, reduced-fat or skim milk
    Fruit, except for avocados, tomatoes and olives. Yep, they’re all fruits
    Nuts or seeds
    Foods that combine protein and carbs, such as, lentils, chickpeas (garbanzo beans) kidney beans and other legumes
    Stay away from foods with higher levels of carbs, but don’t sweat it. We’ll show you how to add these foods back into your diet in later phases, while continuing to lose or maintain your weight.

Plan your meals ahead of time for no-hassle success.When you know what you’re eating ahead of time, you’ll do so much better.

Helpful Hint:

Make sure you don’t eat too few calories during this phase, which can slow down your metabolism. Because you are significantly reducing carbs, you should make up those calories with good fats and protein.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Here is the link for the acceptable foods list.

http://www.atkins.com/Files/AcceptableFoodsPhase1_0818.pdf
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks LL, was hoping you'd pop in :smile:.

I'm not doing atkins but I do believe it's been widely misunderstood and misrepresented. With any meal plan, it's always best to go for more whole foods than not ... and don't forget the veggies!

Hot dogs, deli meats, and sausages are not meats ... they are treats and should be eaten sparingly (if at all) as if they were treats.
  • kristine518
    Options
    Hi Blossy! I posted the other day...but just a follow up. You said you're going to stick to Atkins for a while. My suggestion is to do the induction phase for 2 weeks to get your sugar cravings under control (if you have a sweet tooth, not having sugar for a few days will usually make the cravings go away)....and maybe you'll quickly lose those few 'water weight' pounds. However, I would seriously consider after the 2 weeks to do a more balanced approach. You mentioned you've been on 'every diet known to man' in your first post. That's because we've all tried them and fad diets do not work....the weight comes back. I did Atkins for a whole year + but as soon as I stopped the 15 lbs came back quickly. I think the simple concept here on MFP --- Healthy Calories in - calories burned (good work outs) = True weight loss.....for Long Lasting Results.

PS - You can restrict your carbs a little more than what MFP recommends (I lowered mine a few grams because I thought MFP suggestion was a little high.... I still limit and monitor my bread and pasta 'bad' carbs). Atkins is not easy to stay on. I read the book several times and was hooked on the theory for a while but it gets boring and the more I read it's not really healthy for you. I think eating healthy salads, fruits, veggies plus (in moderation) all the other foods I enjoy... rather than a whole bunch of protein (meat, eggs) and little veggies/fruit is a much healthier approach...and will become a way of life -- for long lasting results. Plus, of course, a good work-out schedule. Good luck!
  • BlossysMom
    BlossysMom Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks for the info from those on Atkins:happy:

I believe Hot Dogs to be trash food. In MY DEFENSE I have read several Atkins books before ever thinking of doing the diet. Hubby has been on it successfully for years. I wanted to learn how to cook for him.

Try reading page 72 of the Atkins Shopping Guide The Companion to the Dr Atkins NEW DIET REVOLUTION which I also read (and follow on my other site Atkins Diet Forum)

On pg. 72 of the Shopping Guide you will see BEEF HOT DOGS listed for phase 1-4 at 1.2 grams of net carbs per link. you will NOTICE if you look at my Food Diary again that I used Oscar Meyer Bun Length Beef Only dogs with 0 sugar and 1 carb per link

Excerpt Taken from Atkins Forum

65% fat you should try to eat more fat and less protein.

I know that seems to fly in the face of most diet wisdom these days, but since both carbs and protein can be converted to glucose by the body and unused glucose is stored as body fat, Atkins instead recommends eating dietary fat which is not converted and simply passes through the system unabsorbed (except for what can be converted to alternate forms of energy via ketosis).
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP, I think it's only fair you give it an honest try, and follow the guidelines laid out for you. I think you need to look at lowering your fat intake- all that fat can't be healthy, increase your fiber, and spread your calories out throughout the day- "3 meals, 2 snacks" is going to do more for you than 3 large meals. Your diet just doesn't seem balanced. Think light and nutritious.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks for the info from those on Atkins:happy:

I believe Hot Dogs to be trash food. In MY DEFENSE I have read several Atkins books before ever thinking of doing the diet. Hubby has been on it successfully for years. I wanted to learn how to cook for him.

Try reading page 72 of the Atkins Shopping Guide The Companion to the Dr Atkins NEW DIET REVOLUTION which I also read (and follow on my other site Atkins Diet Forum)

On pg. 72 of the Shopping Guide you will see BEEF HOT DOGS listed for phase 1-4 at 1.2 grams of net carbs per link. you will NOTICE if you look at my Food Diary again that I used Oscar Meyer Bun Length Beef Only dogs with 0 sugar and 1 carb per link

Excerpt Taken from Atkins Forum

65% fat you should try to eat more fat and less protein.

I know that seems to fly in the face of most diet wisdom these days, but since both carbs and protein can be converted to glucose by the body and unused glucose is stored as body fat, Atkins instead recommends eating dietary fat which is not converted and simply passes through the system unabsorbed (except for what can be converted to alternate forms of energy via ketosis).

I do believe that Dr Atkins means 100% beef hot dogs without nitrates. Oscar Meyer hotdogs have nitrates, which in my research can eventually lead to cancer....................

I do enjoy hot dogs from time to time, but I get them 100% beef hot dogs without any preservatives. My Coop sells them in their Deli, they are expensive.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    If you're following MFP, I think it's only fair you give it an honest try, and follow the guidelines laid out for you. I think you need to look at lowering your fat intake- all that fat can't be healthy, increase your fiber, and spread your calories out throughout the day- "3 meals, 2 snacks" is going to do more for you than 3 large meals. Your diet just doesn't seem balanced. Think light and nutritious.

If she is following Atkins, then she is good to go on the fat intake.......................Fat is not unhealthy for you. My blood work speaks for itself and I will be updating that forum in the next couple of weeks for my continued success..............

To the original poster:

Just make sure for the first 2 weeks of induction you are eating lots of fat, protein to keep you full and stick to the 12-15 grams of carbs in the form of veggies............

Limit the processed foods and you will be brimming with energy!!!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi Blossy! I posted the other day...but just a follow up. You said you're going to stick to Atkins for a while. My suggestion is to do the induction phase for 2 weeks to get your sugar cravings under control (if you have a sweet tooth, not having sugar for a few days will usually make the cravings go away)....and maybe you'll quickly lose those few 'water weight' pounds. However, I would seriously consider after the 2 weeks to do a more balanced approach. You mentioned you've been on 'every diet known to man' in your first post. That's because we've all tried them and fad diets do not work....the weight comes back. I did Atkins for a whole year + but as soon as I stopped the 15 lbs came back quickly. I think the simple concept here on MFP --- Healthy Calories in - calories burned (good work outs) = True weight loss.....for Long Lasting Results.

PS - You can restrict your carbs a little more than what MFP recommends (I lowered mine a few grams because I thought MFP suggestion was a little high.... I still limit and monitor my bread and pasta 'bad' carbs). Atkins is not easy to stay on. I read the book several times and was hooked on the theory for a while but it gets boring and the more I read it's not really healthy for you. I think eating healthy salads, fruits, veggies plus (in moderation) all the other foods I enjoy... rather than a whole bunch of protein (meat, eggs) and little veggies/fruit is a much healthier approach...and will become a way of life -- for long lasting results. Plus, of course, a good work-out schedule. Good luck!

Atkins IS NOT a fad diet, it is a lifestyle change...................The 2 week induction you are supposed to be eating 12-15 grams of carbs in the form of veggies and then after 2 weeks, you are adding in more veggies, fruits, etc....................

If you go through all 4 phases, in the end you are eating a VERY balanced meal plan..............

Atkins is good for those that need the control of adding back in the carbs in a SLOW, controlled manner.

People need to stop bashing Atkins because you did induction for 2 weeks, lost a few pounds and then gained it back when you returned to the Standard American Diet....................Well duh, that is what happens when you don't make lifestyle changes.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Atkins IS NOT a fad diet, it is a lifestyle change...................The 2 week induction you are supposed to be eating 12-15 grams of carbs in the form of veggies and then after 2 weeks, you are adding in more veggies, fruits, etc....................

If you go through all 4 phases, in the end you are eating a VERY balanced meal plan..............

Atkins is good for those that need the control of adding back in the carbs in a SLOW, controlled manner.

People need to stop bashing Atkins because you did induction for 2 weeks, lost a few pounds and then gained it back when you returned to the Standard American Diet....................Well duh, that is what happens when you don't make lifestyle changes.

I believe where we need to be careful here when saying eat 'fat' and you will be fine. Now, eat GOOD fat, and that is great.

I worked at a Buffalo Chicken Wing place in the height of the Adkins Craze. There was a man who was over 300 pounds and his wife who were on Adkins 100%. He would come in 2-3 nights a week and eat 50 chicken wings loaded in sauce. Hold the fries, please.

Did he lose weight? Yes he did. Was he healthy, I highly doubt it. He sure did not look healthy 50 pounds later.

I have no problem with the Adkins way of thinking, as I am a carboholic and know if I cut out all carbs for 2 weeks, and followed the book to a T I would drop fat around my tummy. I just think we need to be responsible when giving advise.

Lean protien and healthy fats are great for the body (avacado, Olive oil, nuts) Saturated fats are not good for the body.

:flowerforyou: Keep up the good work LL your stats are undisputed!
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I believe where we need to be careful here when saying eat 'fat' and you will be fine. Now, eat GOOD fat, and that is great.

I worked at a Buffalo Chicken Wing place in the height of the Adkins Craze. There was a man who was over 300 pounds and his wife who were on Adkins 100%. He would come in 2-3 nights a week and eat 50 chicken wings loaded in sauce. Hold the fries, please.

Did he lose weight? Yes he did. Was he healthy, I highly doubt it. He sure did not look healthy 50 pounds later.

I have no problem with the Adkins way of thinking, as I am a carboholic and know if I cut out all carbs for 2 weeks, and followed the book to a T I would drop fat around my tummy. I just think we need to be responsible when giving advise.

Lean protien and healthy fats are great for the body (avacado, Olive oil, nuts) Saturated fats are not good for the body.

:flowerforyou: Keep up the good work LL your stats are undisputed!

Obviously, you have not researched saturated fats....................The studies are finding that saturated fats (animal fats) are not bad for you, especially when you are eating all natural.

The proof of how I feel about what I have read and researched are there, in my signature..............My blood work improves every 3 months.................

I eat plenty of saturated fats (chicken skin, coconut oil, fat on my steaks, etc.....) and my cholesterol has went down..................

The minute I add bread (wheat especially) and other products containing wheat, my cholesterol shoots up, along with my triglycerides..................

The studies show that saturated fats have gotten a bad rap because of the government with the whole low fat craze they pushed in the 70's and 80's and try to continue to push to this day.................

As I have mentioned several times before, this is not only my opinion, but the opinion of the naturopath that I do see (who told me my cholesterol should be around 200 for optimal health), mine is now lower...............and my endocrinologist whom I go see on a quarterly basis for regulating my diabetes.

The same advice I give here, is the same advice my endocrinologist and naturopath have educated me on..........................but then again, I have forward thinking doctors...............
  • kristine518
    Options
    Hi LL & Blossy. I didn't want to sound like I was bashing Atkins. I totally bought into the concept of Atkins and the lifestyle change, read the books and stuck with the plan for a year + (not just the 2 weeks). Personally I got bored with the limited foods (i'm kind of a picky eater) and I also heard some bad health reports .... but, then again, those reports could be about the people who eat 50 chicken wings a day because they're allowed lots of protein. They're obvioulsy not following Atkins properly. No surprise there. LL - it looks like you're doing fabulous following Atkins! Congrats on that! I saw Blossy was just starting out so I thought I could sway her to do the MFP plan - instead of Atkins. She only wants to lose a few pounds. All in all, we are all here to make "lifestyle changes" and help each other.
    I do think we all have to do what works best for us individually ... and limiting the bad carbs is definitely a really good thing!! I still do watch my bread intake as well as processed foods -- good lessons learned while on Atkins. Totally true -- if you go through the phases you are eating more of a balanced diet and I'm sure it takes each person a different amount of time to get to that point... the point where you find out how many carbs you can eat each day (maintenance phase). I think I'm going to enjoy MFP's plan better than Atkins ...and be able to stay on it for life. It was too hard to cook 2 dinners every night (my husband loves pasta).
    Just be careful!!! And remember to take your vitamins!!!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi LL & Blossy. I didn't want to sound like I was bashing Atkins. I totally bought into the concept of Atkins and the lifestyle change, read the books and stuck with the plan for a year + (not just the 2 weeks). Personally I got bored with the limited foods (i'm kind of a picky eater) and I also heard some bad health reports .... but, then again, those reports could be about the people who eat 50 chicken wings a day because they're allowed lots of protein. They're obvioulsy not following Atkins properly. No surprise there. LL - it looks like you're doing fabulous following Atkins! Congrats on that! I saw Blossy was just starting out so I thought I could sway her to do the MFP plan - instead of Atkins. She only wants to lose a few pounds. All in all, we are all here to make "lifestyle changes" and help each other.
    I do think we all have to do what works best for us individually ... and limiting the bad carbs is definitely a really good thing!! I still do watch my bread intake as well as processed foods -- good lessons learned while on Atkins. Totally true -- if you go through the phases you are eating more of a balanced diet and I'm sure it takes each person a different amount of time to get to that point... the point where you find out how many carbs you can eat each day (maintenance phase). I think I'm going to enjoy MFP's plan better than Atkins ...and be able to stay on it for life. It was too hard to cook 2 dinners every night (my husband loves pasta).
    Just be careful!!! And remember to take your vitamins!!!

It wasn't you that I thought was bashing Atkins.....................There are many others here that are Atkins bashers............

The thing is, I don't feel deprived at all on Atkins..............I can have raw whipping cream, butter, cheese (the few i actually like), Fage total (not the 0 or 2% stuff).............. I am eating veggies I didn't used to eat, such as spaghetti squash, zucchini, acorn squash, asparagus, egg plant, avocado. I get to eat nuts and my favorite fruits are the low glycemic ones, so I get to have them in abundance.