Stress Eating....it is getting the best of me..

miracle
miracle Posts: 12 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
No matter how great I do during the day, healthy eating...staying within my calorie goals and getting some great excersice, the least little but of stressful or bad news, and there has been alot of that lately, send me straight to the junk food. I try so hard to break from the comfort food, comfort feeling cycle but it is getting the best of me....please help with any suggestions.....thanks

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Since you know that stress is the trigger, you need to find better ways to deal with stress. Do you have friends or family you can talk to, even on the phone? A sympathetic ear can work wonders.

Another option is exercise - sometimes when I'm upset I take my dog for an extra walk. At work I was so angry the other day I had to get out and powerwalk for half an hour. Some people find meditation helps, I need to move.

Depending what it is, can you do something about it? Instead of eating, sit down and make plans how to handle the situation. Or make plans while you're walking.

And don't keep temptation in the house! If there is only healthy food, it likely won't be as tempting, but even if you eat it, it will still be healthy.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    I am a stress eater too and I tried many techniques to stop. I can make a suggestion but what works for some doesn't work for others. Anyway, I just keep absolutely no junk food in the house. This started three weeks ago and has worked very well for me. My family is cooperating this time and if they want some junkfood they have to go out to get it and are not allowed to bring any home. They are not allowed to eat any in front of me. It has taken a long time though to get them on board but so far it is working and they don't even go out to eat nearly as much anymore. We used to go out a few times a week for fast food but they have only gone out twice in three weeks so now all of us are eating much better.

For me to eat healthier it has to be all or nothing, so I have no junk whatsoever. I have had no sweets or fast food in three weeks and I don't even miss it. I am committed to doing this for one year and then I will introduce some limited treats into my diet.

Good Luck and I hope you find a method that works for you.

Take care,
    Tammy
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Keep healthy snacks around and try keeping sugar free gum with you at all times. Try to find other outlets that don't revolve around and involve food. Emotional eating is hard to overcome, but at least you recognize the problem. Good luck.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    No matter how great I do during the day, healthy eating...staying within my calorie goals and getting some great excersice, the least little but of stressful or bad news, and there has been alot of that lately, send me straight to the junk food. I try so hard to break from the comfort food, comfort feeling cycle but it is getting the best of me....please help with any suggestions.....thanks

i really can relate to this, and while i occasionally binge still when im sad and not hungry, i am getting better.

try to think of food as fuel. you really have to reshape your mind to do this. it also sounds like it would help if you had another distraction when you were stressed that wouldn't be food. like exercise. i've really learned to enjoy jogging, and even doing 15 minutes of it helps me out. i have also learned to enjoy cooking, which helps big time with the healthier foods.

also, try to tell yourself what you want. i read it in a magazine, and honestly, i feel like it works.

say i want...instead of i should. because i know when i overate from stress, or ate junk because of stress, i would tell myself 'i should exercise'...if you say you 'want' it isn't as much of a chore, and it really reminds you of your goals. or 'i want to eat healthy' instead of 'i should' it takes the chore out of it.

hope this helps and i hope you find what you need to overcome this!
This discussion has been closed.