low blood sugar? i'm not sure.

Options
jackieatx
jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
I've been at this religiously for twelve days, eating 1200- 1500 net calories a day. I've cut out red meat and fowl but I'm pretty good about making up for nutrients and protein I may have lost because of this. I've lost 5 pounds and I feel pretty good except for the fact that I get lightheaded and dizzy a couple times a day- its been happening more and more often. But the really strange thing is that when I start to black out, my hand sometimes starts to shake, or my inner thigh. I've googled this and can't come up with much info. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You should definitely go see a nutritionist or a doctor about that. Chances are, it's the diet change. Similar things happen to me, including my fingernail beds turning purple..
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    5 LBS in 12 days is alot of weight loss. Are you eating enough? I don't know your stats, but if you excercise regularly, make sure you are fueling your workouts. When I was trying to lose weight, I would aim to eat at my TDEE minus a deficit of 500 cal a day. (that's a 1lb a week deficit).

You can check this link to make sure your calculations for calorie consumption are close to accurate.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • jackieatx
    Options
    According to that site I should be around 1600? That's a good site, thanks for that info.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been at this religiously for twelve days, eating 1200- 1500 net calories a day. I've cut out red meat and fowl but I'm pretty good about making up for nutrients and protein I may have lost because of this. I've lost 5 pounds and I feel pretty good except for the fact that I get lightheaded and dizzy a couple times a day- its been happening more and more often. But the really strange thing is that when I start to black out, my hand sometimes starts to shake, or my inner thigh. I've googled this and can't come up with much info. Does this happen to anyone else?

Sounds like what happened to me in January. Did the 1200 calories, exercise everyday and by day 20 (lost 7lbs.) I was so dizzy could not get out of bed and went to the hospital. They ran all kinds of tests and found nothing wrong. This was after I pigged out, of course, but I do believe it had something to do with my blood sugar. I started checking my blood sugar after a workout and sometimes it was in the 50s or 60s!!! (80-120 normal range). So now I have to eat something before I work out and can't eat low calories. I just have to lose weight the very slow way.

BTW, I don't have diabetes but did have gestational diabetes w/insulin in both pregnancies so I had a blood glucose meter handy. Try upping your calories to TDEE -15% and always eating a protein/carb combo snack before you work out. See if you feel better. If you do, it could be your blood sugar getting too low.

Good luck!
  • Cougarsuz
    Cougarsuz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    definitely sounds like low blood sugar to me. I'm not diabetic, but ever since I had gastric bypass I am very sensitive to sugar. If I get "low" I start to feel a little spacy, then dizzy/shaky, and then sweaty. A cup of juice or something similar will make it go away in about 15 minutes. I've even gone into a convenience store and grabbed a couple sugar packets in a pinch. I think you should talk to your doc of course, but next time it happens, see if a quick dose of easily absorbed sugar makes you feel better - that will tell you a lot - Suz
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you taking diet pills?

If your sugar gets low keep a piece of candy in your pocket.
  • jackieatx
    Options
    No, no diet pills... I'll try upping my calories and eating more often. Thanks guys.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more, and make sure you are eating your exercise calories back as well. I hope you feel better soon.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    No, no diet pills... I'll try upping my calories and eating more often. Thanks guys.

While the obvious is you are not eating enough (use the setting to get your BMR and set a healthy 1-2 pounds loss) go see a doctor to find out exactly what's up. We can only speculate.