Calories & Exercise

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and could need some feedback/guidance on the calorie count. Here it goes:

So today I ate 1070 calories, ran and burned 250 calories, so now it's after dinner and apparently I still need to consume about 600 calories (otherwise, it says I haven't consumed enough and my body can go into starvation mode). It seems like I need to just make up the 600 calories, or do I really need to?

Basically, when I work out and "earn" calories, do I have to eat all of the calories I just burned to avoid starvation mode? It's nice to think I'm able to just pocket the calories if my body feels satisfied, but I'm afraid it's going to make me plateau.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :glasses: :embarassed:

Replies

• Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You wont enter starvation mode just because you fell short on cals for one day.. it happens when you continually starve yourself for days/weeks.
  • rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    as a general practice you should be eating to meet your NET calorie goal (i.e. calories in - calories out = goal)... one day won't have an effect, but continuously eating too few will put you in starvation mode even if you don't find yourself hungry... your net calorie goal already has factored in a calorie deficit for you to lose weight. If you follow the NET calorie goal for a couple weeks and find yourself to be gaining/maintaining weight and want to lose weight then you can adjust your goal down a couple hundred calories, but make small changes so you don't starve yourself, not eating enough calories can be just as bad as eating too many if you are trying to lose weight.
  • sianlindsay731
    Options
    Thanks guys. According to the goal I set, I have to consume (w/o exercise) 1430 calories. So long as I meet that, I'm good?

Just making sure...I feel like I should have retained this information from Health class in high school. Damn.

Also: do you do the full 8 glasses of water each day?
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Np.. yeah america's obesity problems would drastically go down if schools took health more seriously.. it's a shame.. I personally drink 8 cups of water every day it helps makes me feel fuller and stops my cravings along with other benefits.
  • sianlindsay731
    Options
    I agree completely! They ought to replace pointless Health classes with a cooking &food class. This should be at the grade school level, not just in Home Economics in high school. They'd save on textbooks, considering it's hands-on learning.

I spend a lot of time in England (family there) and let me tell you that portion sizes are completely different than those in America. Theirs are far more moderate and conservative in portion, but more well-rounded in terms of ingredients. Pizza and fast food is received differently so I don't think it weighs so much on the food culture as it does here. I'm going there in a couple weeks and hope I slim down a pound or two so I can buy some cute clothes!

The water is important with food discipline like you say. I can incorporate another two glasses if I remember to count my tea intake!

:smile: