What is a good thigh measurment?

Options

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I believe I inherited my thunder thighs from my dad's side of the family along with the big boobs. Even when I was at my lowest (130lbs), I still had thunder thighs. I'm part Italian so go figure. I love my pasta, sauce, and meat! Would love exercise ideas to get them to go down though!! :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Mine are a couple inches smaller than my waist.. when they are bigger than my waist, I'll be happy.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    In proportion to the rest of you.

This.

You can't compare yourself to a random measurement. Keep at it until you get to where you like it!

Makes sense. Was curious if there was a good range that people were comfortable at or preferred. Never hurts to ask heh :flowerforyou: Mine are 21 inches, but I was told by my dad the other day that i am much too stocky for shorter shorts, so it had me wondering

Yeah don't take fashion advice from your dad, he just doesn't want any boys hollerin' at that booty

i was going to say this :laugh:

That made me laugh xD Could be true!
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    I agree with the "right proportion for you" comments.

I'm 5'5 140 and they are 21 at the widest.
    It really depends on your body, chicken legs aren't sexy, of course neither is a lot of squish, in my opinion toned legs are the sexiest!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Whatever your thigh measurement is, it's a good measurement. Same for everyone. There's nothing wrong with any size of thighs.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    This again...

What? O.o

I've seen this question posted before. Often it degenerates into a series of pro- and anti-Ana discussions.
    I have no way to know if this is the case here, but you signed up today on a fitness website at 120 lbs, and asked about the size of your thighs. I'm wondering when we'll start talking about "the gap."
    So here's my thought:
    Your thighs should extend from your pelvis uninterrupted to your knees. Any gaps will make you fall over.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    This again...

What? O.o

I've seen this question posted before. Often it degenerates into a series of pro- and anti-Ana discussions.
    I have no way to know if this is the case here, but you signed up today on a fitness website at 120 lbs, and asked about the size of your thighs. I'm wondering when we'll start talking about "the gap."
    So here's my thought:
    Your thighs should extend from your pelvis uninterrupted to your knees. Any gaps will make you fall over.

Just because you have seen other threads turn into that does not mean all threads are the same. I used to have another account on here that I deleted. I have been around much longer than may, And i have never in any way had an ED nor do I want a thigh gap. So don't just lump me all together with all of that. I used to be almost 150 pounds and have slowly lost 30 over 2-3 years eating well.

So now that the judgement can be put to rest we can carry on.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Whatever your thigh measurement is, it's a good measurement. Same for everyone. There's nothing wrong with any size of thighs.

Very good point, I meant more where you feel comfortable at I suppose :]
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Mine are 21 inches. I wanna shrink them but I almost feel like its all muscle and the most I can shave off is an inch
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I checked out the thread referenced above and disagree based on MY THIGHS LOL. At 23.75", I fall into a normal range in that thread but my thighs, while muscular, are also coated in flabby fat. So, rather than concentrate on a measurement, concentrate on the look. Mine = not good LOL.

Oh trust me I am certainly going by looks more than anything! I am just a umber/goal person so it gives me something to strive for. So hearing where women are comfortable is interesting to me I guess :flowerforyou:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine are huge...that is all.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you have a hip reduction goal? Aim for half of that.

(e.g. I want to lose 2 inches from my hips so I am aiming to lose 1 inch from my thighs).

1 inch is a lot! Wrap the tape measure around your thigh an add one inch to your measuremt. It adds a lot more then you might think. In my experience, thigh measurements change a bit slower then hip measurements, so do not get discouraged!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    thighs are hot!! a GOOD thigh measurement is ANY thigh measurement haha we need those things to get the hell around!! me personally, i am 5 foot 3 weighing in at 120 (last time i checked haha a month ago) and ive got 19.5 inch thighs at the widest....its all relative though for anyone. im a power walker but i should get into running again!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    In proportion to the rest of you.

This.

You can't compare yourself to a random measurement. Keep at it until you get to where you like it!

Makes sense. Was curious if there was a good range that people were comfortable at or preferred. Never hurts to ask heh :flowerforyou: Mine are 21 inches, but I was told by my dad the other day that i am much too stocky for shorter shorts, so it had me wondering

I wonder if you are focused on the wrong thing? Maybe you should just wear different shorts?

Oh trust me I didn't buy the shorter shorts after that comment! I have been going more for cargo shorts and longer ones. I will never pull off the short shorts because of my thighs I think

your dad just doesnt want guys oogling those thighs btw
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

(e.g. I want to lose 2 inches from my hips so I am aiming to lose 1 inch from my thighs).

1 inch is a lot! Wrap the tape measure around your thigh an add one inch to your measuremt. It adds a lot more then you might think. In my experience, thigh measurements change a bit slower then hip measurements, so do not get discouraged!

Okay this may seem silly, but i cannot seem to get a consistent hip measurement! I tried looking at figures online, but I just cannot measure my own hips apparently :embarassed: I think 1 inch would make a big difference you are right :]
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I checked out the thread referenced above and disagree based on MY THIGHS LOL. At 23.75", I fall into a normal range in that thread but my thighs, while muscular, are also coated in flabby fat. So, rather than concentrate on a measurement, concentrate on the look. Mine = not good LOL.

Oh trust me I am certainly going by looks more than anything! I am just a umber/goal person so it gives me something to strive for. So hearing where women are comfortable is interesting to me I guess :flowerforyou:

I'm a numbers person too so I totally understand! I was just surprised that in that other thread, my super jiggly non-toned thighs fell within what people were saying was normal LOL.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Okay this may seem silly, but i cannot seem to get a consistent hip measurement! I tried looking at figures online, but I just cannot measure my own hips apparently :embarassed: I think 1 inch would make a big difference you are right :]

Measurements are only accurate if you measure in the EXACT same spot every time. I find it very difficult to do. My thigh is actually easiest because I place the tape measure on a certain part of my tattoo. Hips are much more difficult because you measure around the "widest" part, but as you lose weight, the widest part can and does change! So while you may be measuring the maximum circumference, you're not necessarily getting an accurate picture of inches lost. I've noticed that my widest hip area has moved farther down my body.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Measurements are only accurate if you measure in the EXACT same spot every time. I find it very difficult to do. My thigh is actually easiest because I place the tape measure on a certain part of my tattoo. Hips are much more difficult because you measure around the "widest" part, but as you lose weight, the widest part can and does change! So you may be measuring the maximum circumference, you're not necessarily getting an accurate picture of inches lose. I've noticed that my widest hip area has moved farther down my body.

I just posted a thread about hip measurements last week! Haha, yeah, my widest part moved down a lot too. It is difficult to gauge.

I
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    IDK. Mine are 24in and I hate em. I'm trying to get somewhere around 20-21 in. I'm 5'5 and weigh 175lbs. I have been told that I look amazing the way I am (that I am well proportioned) but I want to drop AT LEAST another 20lbs.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Composition matters. What you want is to have shape (from your muscles) and have minimal jiggle. This number is different on every body.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!