low calorie, low carb. high protein

Options
anyone tried a diet like this?

over the last week i tried only having one carb meal a day (before workout) with the exception of fruit for snacks. I notice a difference already and im considering doing a cycle of low calorie, low carb, high protein (carb shifting) for the next few weeks.

anyone had success on something like that?

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hi there Classic! To answer you question - yep. :bigsmile:

I am on a low carb plan. These are my daily numbers:

Cals: 1200
    Carbs: 20g
    Protien: 180g
    Fat: 80g
    Sugar: 14g

There are a lot of people who have had success with this, there is even a new group dedicated to it. Here is the forum link if you'd like to join us or just pop in to ask a few questions!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60476-low-carb-ers-challenge-to-choose-change
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hey!!

thanks!! i'm a little nervous about going so strict but i know it must be my carb intake that is keeping the weight on me.

i'm going to be using a protein powder recommended to me by a friend who works at a health food/supplement store. Even with that, do u think working out 2x a day (HIIT, free weights) is too much?

my goal for this month was 5lbs and nothing so far sp really looking for a good change!

thanks again!

P.S. i'll check out the group! :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply you should go by my numbers. Those are just the numbers that my doctor suggested (and I altered a little to fit my eating plan). Just want to give you an example of what some low carb plans look like. :bigsmile:

My DH makes GREAT whey protein smoothies, so I'm a big fan of protein powder. In terms of exercise, you're the only one who can make that call because it completely depends on your body. With that in mind, the only thing to be aware of is that you shouldn't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. In fact, if you work out your abs one day, you should give them 1 (preferably 2) days off. When you exercise you are more or less 'shredding' your muscle, tearing it down and those recovery days are for you to actually build the muscle back up.

As for your goal - sometimes a little flux in your diet can help to shake your body up so that it kick-starts your weightloss. Going low-carb for a week or two might do that for you! Just remember that going VERY low-carb for longer periods of time can be counterproductive, so consult with your doctor blah blah blah. :wink:
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    hey hey! Ya know I noticed that I'm constantly going over the protiens that they recommend for me to have in one day! The weird thing is, I've actually really cut back on my meats. I really only eat meat with my dinner meals.. Where is all this protien coming from?!

I guess it really doesnt matter because if you guys are dropping the weight and eating more protein then I shouldn't be too worried.. '

Good post!:bigsmile:
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply you should go by my numbers. Those are just the numbers that my doctor suggested (and I altered a little to fit my eating plan). Just want to give you an example of what some low carb plans look like. :bigsmile:

My DH makes GREAT whey protein smoothies, so I'm a big fan of protein powder. In terms of exercise, you're the only one who can make that call because it completely depends on your body. With that in mind, the only thing to be aware of is that you shouldn't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. In fact, if you work out your abs one day, you should give them 1 (preferably 2) days off. When you exercise you are more or less 'shredding' your muscle, tearing it down and those recovery days are for you to actually build the muscle back up.

As for your goal - sometimes a little flux in your diet can help to shake your body up so that it kick-starts your weightloss. Going low-carb for a week or two might do that for you! Just remember that going VERY low-carb for longer periods of time can be counterproductive, so consult with your doctor blah blah blah. :wink:

thanks!

my allowed calories per day is actually 1200 too:happy: ..... i kind of have an idea how im going to work it out though so no worries! :flowerforyou: .....once i start on monday i guess i'll see how my body can take the double up torture - am and pm :laugh: i do tend to overkill on working out tho (which is odd since i hate the gym LOL!!) just wanted to make sure i wasnt actually harming the muscle im trying to build....:wink::wink: lord knows if it wasnt for the muscle i've already gained i wouldnt be seeing much benefit in my new lifestyle since i've only lost 5 lbs in what is going to be 3 months at the end of this month hmm....:grumble: so change should be good indeed:laugh: the protein powder i got is (bns) lean dessert chocolate fudge pudding... hopefully it'll really make me feel like im getting a filling treat... hahaha...:drinker:
    thanks so much for your help!! keep up the great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not against this kind of diet, BUT, I would like to just let you know it's a very strict diet type (probably the strictest one going), just make sure you read up on this type of diet and understand the risks and consequences involved in a ketonic diet. for example you have to make sure you take in extra calcium because this diet will end up leeching calcium from your bones to balance your ph level. Another factor is dehydration, this kind of diet can cause severe dehydration and you have to be very careful to drink enough (a lot more than a normal program), also be aware that this changes the way your metabolism works. After a few days of being very low on carbs, your body will start using protein and fat for energy, that's fine, but a few things you'll notice: 1) you'll lose weight immediately, it's not fat your losing, it's glycogen stores and water, you can lose up to 10 lbs this way, it doesn't mean anything good happened, it's just a change in body chemistry. 2) this type of diet can have a few side effects, make sure you read up on them first. 3) If you decide that this isn't for you after you start, expect to gain a few pounds back, it's not fat you're gaining, it's glycogen and water, it should be expected. 4) For the first few days of this diet, expect to feel terrible and lethargic, that's part of the process, don't push yourself while this is happening, drink plenty of water and let it happen.

If you're willing to get by this initial phase, it's really not a terrible diet, some people swear by it, it's a good way to kick the carbohydrate addiction many people have, but just be aware of the details and you should be alright.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Thanks for the info Boss! I hope you don't mind, but I quoted this and put it over in the Low Carbers Challenge thread so everyone could benefit from the info. :flowerforyou:
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do best on lower carb/higher protein. The problem is after a while, it just gets to feeling like I'm eating the same things over and over. I'm not a big fruit eater so I don't miss not eating fruits, but I do like some starchier things from time to time. I'm trying to just eat protein at every meal/snack and at meals, mostly low carb veggies and a protein and a little bit of carb source.