splenda

Options
pettmybunny
pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
So, this isn't going to be a post about what sweetners are and aren't good for you, so please, lets not start that debate. It's been done many times already.

I'm posting this, because I used splenda and splenda brown sugar in a recipe last night, and when I was trying to figure out the calories by serving I discovered something interesting...

Even though the packaging says splenda has 0 calories per teaspoon, the website says something different.

splenda_sweetener_products_calorie_carbohydrate_comparison.jsp

Shoot, the picture isn't coming up... so I'll summarize and give the site so you can look for yourself...

http://www.splendaprofessional.com/splendaprof/pages/splenda_sweetener_products_calorie_carbohydrate_comparison.jsp

1 teaspoon of the splenda no calorie sweetner granulated (in the box) is 2 calories
1 packet of splenda has 4 calories

For all you coffee drinkers (and tea too, I suppose) who use splenda, and have been putting in 0 calories, you're off. Now one or two teaspoons might not be much, but I am a girl who likes my coffee so sweet it makes your teeth crack, so I'm guessing it makes a difference to me. Also, if you sub out splenda for sugar in recipies, 1 cup of the granulated splenda has 96 calories, and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar splenda packed has about 400 calories.

Just thought I'd share

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a big difference. I like my coffee and tea the way you like yours - very sweet. Granted, I don't drink a lot of it and I actually "cut it" with Sweet-N-Low to try to cut down calories, but knowing that info will help a bit. Thanks!
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Then how do they call it a "no calorie" sweetner? Is it because it has less then 5 calories, or something like that?
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Then how do they call it a "no calorie" sweetner? Is it because it has less then 5 calories, or something like that?

Yup, that's exactly why. It even says it on that web page
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    I switched recently from Splenda to Truvia - I wonder now if the 0 calorie thing also applies to Truvia.
  • traveler
    traveler Posts: 7
    Options
    That's probably an additional 100 calories a day I haven't been counting.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I switched recently from Splenda to Truvia - I wonder now if the 0 calorie thing also applies to Truvia.

I tried stevia, but didn't like the way it tasted in my coffee. It was fine in tea, but left an aftertaste when I had it in my coffee.
  • dietingdeb
    Options
    i hope this answers your questions about truvia. it really is no cals. and truvia sweetener really is nature’s perfect sweetener. No chemicals, no additives, no preservatives…just pure sweetness.

Stevia and steviol glycosides have a long history of use in several countries, including Japan and Paraguay. Stevia-based sweeteners are approved for use in many countries including Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, Russia, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil and Malaysia. Stevia is approved as a natural health product in Canada, and as a dietary supplement in Europe

Nutrition Facts
    Truvia - Nature's Calorie Free Sweetener Servings: of 1 packet
    Calories0Sodium0 mgTotal Fat0 gPotassium0 mg Saturated0 gTotal Carbs3 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein0 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info. How is it cost-wise, with regard to Splenda - more, less or about the same? And can it be used for those who are sensitive to sugar? (like me - not diabetic, but too much sugar does weird things to me)
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I haven't seen truvia in our store yet... Maybe I'll look at the food co-op when I get my fage.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Hm that's disappointing about Splenda! I use so much of it! I am going to have to switch to Truvia and see how I like it.
  • cellorocker
    Options
    Oh wow, I thought everyone was aware of this.
    My sister told me about this a year ago.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    i hope this answers your questions about truvia. it really is no cals. and truvia sweetener really is nature’s perfect sweetener. No chemicals, no additives, no preservatives…just pure sweetness.

Stevia and steviol glycosides have a long history of use in several countries, including Japan and Paraguay. Stevia-based sweeteners are approved for use in many countries including Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, Russia, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil and Malaysia. Stevia is approved as a natural health product in Canada, and as a dietary supplement in Europe

Nutrition Facts
    Truvia - Nature's Calorie Free Sweetener Servings: of 1 packet
    Calories0Sodium0 mgTotal Fat0 gPotassium0 mg Saturated0 gTotal Carbs3 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein0 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I've been using Truvia in my coffee in the morning (its in white and green colored packets). i find its better tasting as well in coffee.