Borderline Kidney Function and Nutrition

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering about nutrition and borderline kidney function. I've gotten some information from the internet (low protein, low sodium, etc) but am looking for anyone that is more of a professional or has experience with a similar situation. It's been 8 months since my surgery and my diet has been all over the place. At my 3 month check up my doctor said that my function hadn't changed. Now I'm looking to really take care of my body and would like some advice. My journal is open for those of you that would like to see it.

Thanks!
-Trina

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been wondering about nutrition and borderline kidney function. I've gotten some information from the internet (low protein, low sodium, etc) but am looking for anyone that is more of a professional or has experience with a similar situation. It's been 8 months since my surgery and my diet has been all over the place. At my 3 month check up my doctor said that my function hadn't changed. Now I'm looking to really take care of my body and would like some advice. My journal is open for those of you that would like to see it.

Thanks!
    -Trina

Trina, probably best to go see a professional re your diet when you have kidney issues. Unless someone on MFP is a professional they may be able to give generic advice but not specifically to you unless you are their patient. Others that may have similar issues may be able to post what worked for them.
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Please go see a renal dietician. I am in kidney failure and on dialysis and you want to get a hold on this now asap! :) You are right, low protein and you need to ask about watching phosphorus and potassium.
  • beautylovetruth
    beautylovetruth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I should add that I had regular creatine levels and iron levels (I had anemia because of my kidney issue). I'm being tested on June 1 and will receive the results June 14. I'll ask for a referral. Thanks :)
  • megpaul
    megpaul Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I just recently found out that a few things are wrong with my kidneys and that I'll probably always have stones, at the least. I'm only 19 so I'm in panic mode about the low sodium! ha-ha. I'm going to see a renal dietician as well in a week!
  • beautylovetruth
    beautylovetruth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So I saw my urologist yesterday, the function % hasn't gone up in the one kidney (still sitting around 20%) and will likely never increase. However, the function for the ureter is much better and is passing urea great! :) I did ask about a referral and he said it wasn't necessary due to my having two kidneys. Essentially I have an 80/20 split between my kidneys and since there has been no pain and ureter improvement, I'm to go on with life as normal! Thanks for all your help and support :)