Anyone Cycle?

Options
13»

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike last year after I went on a long walk through a conservation area with my camera and kept getting passed by cyclists. So I bought a nice Trek city bike. A month later, I decided I would try to commute to work a couple days a week (it's about a 9.5 mile return trip). After the first day of commuting, I was hooked. Now, I generally commute 5 days a week and even managed to ride through most of the winter. I also love grocery shopping and running errands by bike. It's been a great way to add exercise to my daily life while having a lot of fun.

We've got a woman here at work who missed riding her bike to work last year only five times. She rides about 12 miles each way (24-mile round trip). I live in Maine, so that's a serious commitment in the winter! I am in awe of her - people think I'm hardcore because I ride rain or shine, but she is a cycling machine.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    @ sherrykwilk have you had a look at Strava there are some routes on there for Miami not sure about them as I live in the UK but it's a start.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I love cycling, the only problem is that i always have my daughter who is only 4 so she is too heavy to be on my bike now and to young to come with me on her own so i only get 2 hours in the afternoon when she is at nursery :(

Several companies make products called a "trailer bike" or "third wheel" which is basically a seat and extra wheel that attaches to your seat post. My daughter and I got a lot of use out of ours until she outgrew it.

Example: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65029?feat=trailer bike-SR0&attrValue_0=Silver

My son loved his trailer bike. I think he will grow up to ride a tandem.

We have a Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo road tandem. Our son has been riding it since he was 9.5 (he's 11, now). He should be able to fit on the back of there until he's an adult. It beats having to find a babysitter so DH and I can ride together. Now we go out as a family. We've done as far as 53 miles with DS on the back of the tandem--and that was about a year ago. I expect he has a metric century in his legs, this year. :glasses:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    darn! thought this was about roidz. *slowly walks back out the door
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Running red lights for safety seems like a questionable justification, at best. Personally, when I take my place in line, I rarely, if ever, feel unusually unsafe (well, any more unsafe than I normally feel being a cyclist in a world of cars). I take the lane when I need to, yield when I feel safe and get where I'm going.

I'm not claiming to be perfect. In residential neighbourhoods, I have a special hatred for the 4-way stops. I just think that cyclists are doing their fellow cyclists and themselves harm when they make such a glaring show of flouting the law. How can cyclists expect to be respected when they treat the streets like their own personal game of Frogger?
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I cycle a lot, I commute to work (Over 20 miles return trip) I ride just about every day and I have a slight Bicycle addiction.
    Currently in my Garage is
    1) Electra Townie 7D - Cruiser Bike
    2) Linus Mixate 8 - City Bike
    3) Specialized Hardrock Comp - Mtn Bike
    4) Kona Zing Delux - Road bike

These are just mine, my wife has just as many, I had to sell a car to have room to store them all.

The Mtn bike is currently set up like a hybrid, and I use to commute on it.This year I have switched to the road bike and I can say I get a better work out on my light road bike than I ever did on my mtn bike. It is lighter but has much better gearing so it is much faster. you do not need a heavy bike to get a good work out!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot, I commute to work (Over 20 miles return trip) I ride just about every day and I have a slight Bicycle addiction.
    Currently in my Garage is
    1) Electra Townie 7D - Cruiser Bike
    2) Linus Mixate 8 - City Bike
    3) Specialized Hardrock Comp - Mtn Bike
    4) Kona Zing Delux - Road bike

These are just mine, my wife has just as many, I had to sell a car to have room to store them all.

The Mtn bike is currently set up like a hybrid, and I use to commute on it.This year I have switched to the road bike and I can say I get a better work out on my light road bike than I ever did on my mtn bike. It is lighter but has much better gearing so it is much faster. you do not need a heavy bike to get a good work out!

Nice... bike *kitten* are always good.

My stable:
    Jamis Quest
    Specialized Roubaix
    Cerverlo P4
    Yeti 575
    Surly 1x1

Currently thinking about a 29er.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Running red lights for safety seems like a questionable justification, at best. Personally, when I take my place in line, I rarely, if ever, feel unusually unsafe (well, any more unsafe than I normally feel being a cyclist in a world of cars). I take the lane when I need to, yield when I feel safe and get where I'm going.

I'm not claiming to be perfect. In residential neighbourhoods, I have a special hatred for the 4-way stops. I just think that cyclists are doing their fellow cyclists and themselves harm when they make such a glaring show of flouting the law. How can cyclists expect to be respected when they treat the streets like their own personal game of Frogger?

Depends where you cycle. The road I cycle up has the same angry drivers every day and it's 3 lanes of solid traffic, when they set off because there's no leeway on the right hand side (other lanes with car in them) and there's me on their left as this is the uk and we're on the left hand side of the road.. it means I get pushed into the kerb/knocked off because everyone is so impatient. Especially when I'm setting off from lights..this is where I find I have an issue. If someone has an SUV as you'd call it in the states (4x4 here) or a fast car, they accelerate hard away from the lights and then run into me being accelerating and then get impatient and try and force their way past.

You could say they're in the wrong but at the end of the day I'd rather not risk myself to find out, I'd rather skip the lights a little, get a couple of hundred metres ahead of the cars and get fully up to speed then we don't bother each other. The police have seen me do it before and not stopped me, I'd have argued with them all day about it.
  • azuwatkins
    Options
    looking to add some cycling friends
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, my husband and I are both really into cycling. It's the thing we do together, that has made us and kept us closer as a couple!

I used meetup.com to find a local cycling group. There are also clubs (but I didn't want to pay the dues).

He's currently training for a century, I haven't committed to it but am training as though I'll be doing it. A "good" week for us includes 2 evening rides of 15-30 miles plus a long weekend ride. Long rides are anywhere from 38-65 miles. I also tool around on my bike a lot during the summer (I teach so I have the summers off), riding it to the beach or the library.

And this weekend is my favorite ride--Chicago's Bike the Drive! They close Lake Shore Drive (the 8 lane road that runs along Lake Michigan for 15 miles) to cars for 4 hours and cyclists get it all to ourselves! Activities like this remind me that cycling is fun and relaxing and about family and community, not just about hammering away at 18 MPH!
    O
    My husband rode in the Apple Cider Century last year for the first time. It's up in Michigan and we all went along. I'm needing a bike, but am a little nervous to ride longer distances. Reading some books on cycling now.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The hubs and I go mountain biking on the weekends and just ride the neighborhood on weeknights. I've gained a lot of muscle but my weight is the same. It's about a thousand times more fun than working out at the gym!
  • slinkykat
    slinkykat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just bought 2 mt bikes and just started riding. I have never been a big rider but am having a hard time really going and great distance. I can do about 6 miles and I am pooped. I have been going 2x a day and doing between 4-6 miles each time. Inclines and hills of any type about kill me.

How the heck to you guys ride so far? It has been about 3 weeks now and I have gone out riding almost every day . My husband really wants to get into riding so we can take our bikes up on some mt trails, but I am a bit worried I won't get there. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I am just recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery on both knees.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Oh, and - just a word to the wise - lose the roadie if your goal is primarily to lose weight - efficient bikes are not your calorie-burning friends. They're fun for covering distance, but there's too little resistance to them.

I was thinking the same thing. I've been riding my Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike on the local paved trails working my way up to around 20-25 miles per trip. I started thinking about getting a road bike last month but then came to my senses and just kept on with what I have already. It's a comfortable ride and keeps my heart rate right where it needs to be.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh, your topic about killed me until I realized your were talking about bike riding. You know you work in the mental health feild when cycling refers to bi-polars and their mood swings... But it made me giggle
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just bought 2 mt bikes and just started riding. I have never been a big rider but am having a hard time really going and great distance. I can do about 6 miles and I am pooped. I have been going 2x a day and doing between 4-6 miles each time. Inclines and hills of any type about kill me.

How the heck to you guys ride so far? It has been about 3 weeks now and I have gone out riding almost every day . My husband really wants to get into riding so we can take our bikes up on some mt trails, but I am a bit worried I won't get there. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I am just recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery on both knees.

Hubs and I started about a month ago. When you're just starting, it's going to be hard, especially using mountain bikes on the road but it's worth the trouble if you plan to take it to the trails. :) We did the exact same thing. I'm a lot better now than when we started but the inclines still kill me, especially when it's a long incline and not just a short steep one that I can just push myself through quickly. It just takes getting used to. Hopefully your husband is more patient than mine because sometimes, I'm so slow he has to stop and wait for me when we're on the trails so I don't get lost. :P My best advice is to just keep at it and you'll get better! (Note that I didn't say it would get easier, haha!)
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello,
    YES... just keep at it. I started to ride 'seriously' in May after wintering with the elliptical trainer and stationary bike also due to some 'messey' arthroscopic surgery. I avoided the steep hills at first, worked more on the rolling hills, then the long(but not steep) climbs. In May I also started to try one long ride a week. So far I have managed 14.8km, 16.6km and 20.4km. The rest of the days (3 -4 x per week), I just ride 'local' for about an hour. Strength in the knee is coming, fewer twinges as time goes by. And yes, I am doing it on a Mountain bike, on the road - so a little heavier bike, and knobby tires that cause more friction so more work! So, I am not fast, but I am putting in the effort:smile: It is something I am learning to enjoy, as I am told my running days are over. So set yourself a goal ... and go for it! I am going to try a 76km ride (mostly uphill) in September. Thanks to all for the encouragement, and good luck to you!
  • slinkykat
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I am just going to keep doing what I am doing and try a little more as it gets less challenging. My hubby has to wait for me too and will go do some bigger inclines while I ride around the flatter areas, then we meet back up. I was going to get a cyclometer but found and app that works on my phone that tells me how fast, how far and how long I have been going and then shows a road map of where I went. Kinda cool and much less money than the cyclometer:-)

We are headed out here in a few for a ride. i really do love it much more than going to the gym which I can't do most of what I was doing before due to the knees.

Kateblu72~ can I ask what happened with your knees?

Oh, what are you using for your tush? I got some gel shorts I am trying out today. Plus I got some glove to help with the numbness in my hands and some special ergo grips.
  • slinkykat
    Options
    We started about a month ago too. Longest ride for us has been 7 miles. Going to try for 10 this morning once the weather clears up, thunder clouds are rolling in. Love storms but not while riding I don't think. He is pretty patient but he likes to treat me like he is my trainer.....lol, I am not a good trainee when I am hot and tired :-)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 100 lbs in less than a year by bicycle commuting 30 miles. When the first 20 came off he was shocked and started eating better. The rest of the weight melted off from there. Now he races professionally. Be careful, it can be addicting LOL
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear more from those who had the knee surgery. How long did it take you post surgery to get back into it? I had arthroscopic knee surgery on Tuesday and cannot wait to get out on my bike again! My hubby bought me a spin bike for Mother's Day so I can gradually start some exercise indoors. Of course, I have to get doctor's approval first!:happy: