McDonalds Salads/Alternatives

Options
Im one of those "on the go" people. So I dont like to waste time on making something for lunch. Ive found myself addicted to the salads from McDonalds but Ive heard theyre not good for weight loss? I tried making a salad bowl at the beginning of the week, but I just cant stick with it and it doesn't fill me up as much. I just like to get it and eat it and be full. Are the salads as bad as Ive been told? I dont know a good alternative that suits me and satisfies me...suggestions?

Replies

• alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes on the go and/or bagging cereal (such as frosted mini wheats) or other dry high fiber foods. after a few weeks of high fiber intake, you'll be less hungry and feel more full on less. protein shakes on the go can be found at gnc, most liquor store fridges (in pop section), kmart, walmart, rite aid, walgreens, target.

anything from mcds is going to be unhealthy. even their new oatmeal has just as much calories and fat as the big mac. (that's a lot more than a whole box of quaker oats flavored oatmeal).

high protein will help to burn belly fat and turn fat into muscle. high fiber will help to digest foods more often and fill you up faster with less foods.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    the best thing to get from MacD's is the grilled chicken wrap, with no sauce it is only about 300 calories. Get that with a fruit or vege stick bag and you are having an ok lunch.

I like fast and easy when I cook too, what I tend to do is make a big salad for dinner but make extra to have for my lunch the next day, with a can of tuna or salmon thrown in. Cook a pile of brown rice to keep in the fridge this can supplement your salad too, or boil up sweet potato in bulk to refridgerate.

ready made sandwiches which are simple without too many calories, such as a plain ham one, are usually ok just checkj calories if theya re around 300 you'll be ok , with a piece of fruit to supplement.

Another one - try subway instead of McD's their low fat sandwiches are delicious, you can pick and choose what you want in them and you can log the calories.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They depend entirely on:

1. What salad you're getting/what type of chicken (grilled or crispy)

and

2. What type of dressing you're putting on them.

You CAN make them not "bad" for you, per se (use grilled chicken instead of the crispy, etc.). They're still not as healthy as being able to make your own, fresh, but there are options.

Also, I second the idea of using protein and fiber to make you feel full. Salads are definitely on the lighter side when it comes to filling your belly.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How are they not good for weight loss? If it fits in your calorie goals, go for it. You'd be better off getting protein/fat from a meat dish though.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Another one - try subway instead of McD's their low fat sandwiches are delicious, you can pick and choose what you want in them and you can log the calories.

The only thing I'd say about Subway, be careful about their sodium. They're WICKED high in it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try the Arbys roast (not crispy) salad! It's really delicious, and only 280 calories with the light italian dressing on it. :D
    Honestly though I don't know why McD salads would be bad for weight loss as long as they're within your calories.
  • zandrellia
    zandrellia Posts: 26
    Options
    Most fast food is pretty high in sodium, it seems. Subway's problem is primarily because sandwiches tend to use deli meats which are often cured in salt. If salt is a concern for you there is always the option of getting a Veggie Delite (all vegetables, no meats) sandwich. Also, any sandwich can be made into a salad at Subway if carbs are your concern.

When it comes to salads and their nutritional values at restaurants most places will list the salad with and without meat - and the dressing, croutons, and any other additives on the side. I find that I prefer the taste of vegetables far more than the taste of salad dressing, so I don't ever use the entire package of dressing. (Some of those dressings can come up to nearly 200 calories!) I tend to use only 1/3 of the dressing and put the lid back on, shaking it to mix the dressing all over the vegetables so I get some of the flavor with every bite, without having to feel like I need to eat the whole package. (Who really needs all that dressing for those tiny salads?)

According to the McDonald's website all of their salads without chicken are under 200 calories and all but the one with bacon are under 200mg of sodium (That one is 300mg) - the highest macronutrient listed for the salads. It seems that with the salads, adding chicken does increase the protein content (from 6g to 27g in one case, a difference of 21g - the equivalent of eating 7 strips of bacon or 1 pork chop) but that protein comes at a price tag of nearly 200 calories and 4 times more sodium.

All of the dressings are high in sodium with the lowest one being 340mg (that's a lot just for a sauce!) but any of them would be fine if you're not using the entire package. Halving the amount you use would not only reduce your calories but the sodium and sugars as well, but you would still get the flavor.

I think the main problem people have with salads from places like McDonald's is the freshness factor. Fresh salads are better for you because fresh vegetables are better for you. McDonald's isn't exactly known for freshness.

If you must eat at McDonald's a salad isn't the worst choice you could make.

Think of it this way. For roughly the same number of calories and sodium (as a salad with grilled chicken and dressing), but less protein, you could have a fruit and yogurt parfait and a hamburger - the little regular hockey puck one they give kids now. I don't know about you, but the salad sounds way more fulfilling.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    try protein shakes on the go and/or bagging cereal (such as frosted mini wheats) or other dry high fiber foods. after a few weeks of high fiber intake, you'll be less hungry and feel more full on less. protein shakes on the go can be found at gnc, most liquor store fridges (in pop section), kmart, walmart, rite aid, walgreens, target.

anything from mcds is going to be unhealthy. even their new oatmeal has just as much calories and fat as the big mac. (that's a lot more than a whole box of quaker oats flavored oatmeal).

high protein will help to burn belly fat and turn fat into muscle. high fiber will help to digest foods more often and fill you up faster

I eat the grilled chicken Caesar salad at McDonald's quite often and put the low fat balsamic dressing on it. The whole bowl as is with the entire packet of salad dressing is 350 calories. The cinnamon apple oatmeal with walnuts is only 275 calories. Yeah it is high in sugar but it's really not terrible. I'm also not saying eat McDonald's 3 times a day 7 days a week, but still you can make better choices at fast food places. Are they ideal? No. But sometimes you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Also, one doesn't turn fat into muscle. It's physiologically impossible. When someone loses weight they shrink their fat cells and build up lean muscle mass, which is why it appears to " turn into muscle". Not trying to be b****y but I had to point that out. Also if one eats too much protein, it can damage the body. It is better to maintain a balance of nutrient ts and to not eat too much of any food group.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Most fast food is pretty high in sodium, it seems. Subway's problem is primarily because sandwiches tend to use deli meats which are often cured in salt. If salt is a concern for you there is always the option of getting a Veggie Delite (all vegetables, no meats) sandwich. Also, any sandwich can be made into a salad at Subway if carbs are your concern.

When it comes to salads and their nutritional values at restaurants most places will list the salad with and without meat - and the dressing, croutons, and any other additives on the side. I find that I prefer the taste of vegetables far more than the taste of salad dressing, so I don't ever use the entire package of dressing. (Some of those dressings can come up to nearly 200 calories!) I tend to use only 1/3 of the dressing and put the lid back on, shaking it to mix the dressing all over the vegetables so I get some of the flavor with every bite, without having to feel like I need to eat the whole package. (Who really needs all that dressing for those tiny salads?)

According to the McDonald's website all of their salads without chicken are under 200 calories and all but the one with bacon are under 200mg of sodium (That one is 300mg) - the highest macronutrient listed for the salads. It seems that with the salads, adding chicken does increase the protein content (from 6g to 27g in one case, a difference of 21g - the equivalent of eating 7 strips of bacon or 1 pork chop) but that protein comes at a price tag of nearly 200 calories and 4 times more sodium.

All of the dressings are high in sodium with the lowest one being 340mg (that's a lot just for a sauce!) but any of them would be fine if you're not using the entire package. Halving the amount you use would not only reduce your calories but the sodium and sugars as well, but you would still get the flavor.

I think the main problem people have with salads from places like McDonald's is the freshness factor. Fresh salads are better for you because fresh vegetables are better for you. McDonald's isn't exactly known for freshness.

If you must eat at McDonald's a salad isn't the worst choice you could make.

Think of it this way. For roughly the same number of calories and sodium (as a salad with grilled chicken and dressing), but less protein, you could have a fruit and yogurt parfait and a hamburger - the little regular hockey puck one they give kids now. I don't know about you, but the salad sounds way more fulfilling.

Good point :) I also like to pour creamy salad dressings into a little cup and dip my fork into the dressing before spearing and taking a bite of salad. I end up using far less dressing that way. As for the oil or vinegar based dressings it is harder to do this so I just measure it out.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Side Salad 3.1 oz
    (87 g) 20 cals

Premium Caesar
    Salad with Grilled
    Chicken
    10.4 oz
    (296 g) 190 cals