Adapting exercises for disability

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I'm wheelchair user and found a couple of DVD/Wii games that can be adapted. I wondered if anyone else had found different games that can work from sitting?

Wii sports & Wii Sports resort - can be played from sitting

Tennis games MarioTennis etc - only need arm movement.

Wii Fit & Wii Fit Plus - need ability to stand (with or without walking frame around board to hold onto). some of the games can be done from sitting on the board (basic shifting balance from left to right), not the ones where need to take steps on it (ie obstacle course) .. unless of course you are able to stand on it and 'take steps'. On Wii jog can also make character move by strapping Wii remote to leg whilst pedalling on an exercise bike or passive trainer if jogging is out.

My Fitness Coach cardio workout - mostly boxing for main game which can be done from sitting in a chair. Some of the games section requires an ability to stand, skip or use balance board in different ways.

Just Dance series.. most of dances are only actually tracking the movement of your arm that's holding the wii remote not your whole body so can be done from sitting in chair.

I can also manage most of the 10 minute solution blast off belly fat DVD as most of it is floor based. A few of exercises she does standing can be done from sitting. There is a game available (under same name of 10 min solutions) but I haven't tried it.

I can do most of Tracy Andersons post pregnancy DVD which again is mainly floorwork and focuses on tummy area and core muscles. I haven't tried any of her other ones.

Anyone else found other games/exercise videos that they could adapt?

Replies

• boppinbadger
    Options
    It's not a computer game, but I go to dance class (lindy hop/swing/jive/rock and roll) and have seen the moves taught be adapted for all sorts of reasons. Although I never saw them in class, I have had social dances with everyone from people in wheelchairs, amputees, dwarfs, people with various limbs in plaster. I myself have problems with my joints, although these have acutally on the whole improved a certain extent through dance classes, but I often have to adapt how I do a move and/or warn people before I dance with them to be gentle with their lead. It's good fun too and people generally want to see each other have fun and are welcoming.
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump