Couch to 5k

Options
Hello everyone. I am starting couch to 5k today. I am quite excited. I am quite unfit but have been exercising for awhile now doing the 30 day shred so i am looking forward to a new challenge. I am gonna have to do it on time and not distance. So a few questions. First what would i put in under on exercise on here? second question has anyone reading this done it before? any advise? Anything i should no? Lastly does anyone want to start it with me this week?

Replies

• ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am starting couch to 5k today. I am quite excited. I am quite unfit but have been exercising for awhile now doing the 30 day shred so i am looking forward to a new challenge. I am gonna have to do it on time and not distance. So a few questions. First what would i put in under on exercise on here? second question has anyone reading this done it before? any advise? Anything i should no? Lastly does anyone want to start it with me this week?

Hi, I started this yesterday (: I am quite unfit too, but doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution too (on week 4). There are podcasts to download for your ipod: http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/nhs-couch-to-5k/id394384987 < look it up, they're really helpful for telling you when to walk/run and plays music (:

I use a HRM to calculate my calories burned, but if you don't have one, you can just log it under running and it'll calculate the calories for you (:

One thing, make sure you have good running shoes! (:
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Thank you so much. that is so helpful. I will download this weeks one now. How did you get on?
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you using a treadmill or outside? I did it on the treadmill finished it & transitioned outside a few weeks ago & had to revert back a couple of weeks. My advise, do not be afraid to repeat weeks when your body needs it. as you progress you will be amazed and proud of yourself. Make sure you have good running shoes, it makes a world of difference. I also get confused about logging, I just break down the time. Have fun with it
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    Think that is what i am gonna do then to log it break down the time. I am excited. I am going outside and cant wait to hit the streets although i may have to go down the quieter ones. i will defiantly repeat weeks when i need to . Thanks for answering
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I am in week 8, day 2 today!!!

it is amazing what you can do!!!!!!

I ran 2.47 miles Sunday. I have never been able to even run a lap around a track before!!!
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I use the rundouble.com app on my droid. you can put whatever music on it and the voice will talk over it.

I bought ALL the droid apps, this one is the best I found.
  • deez2015
    deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i am currently doing this. i'm on week 3 day 2 (tomorrow). i've never been a runner but always wanted to be. this program is great! i did have to repeat week 2 because my body wasn't ready for week 3 at that time. my advice is to really make sure your breathing is steady (i breath in and out of my nose for a 3 count each). i did it on my treadmil the first week to check my speed for logging purposes and now i do it outside. Good luck and don't give up, it's worth it!! :happy:
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i did it :D just over 5k .. next goal for me a make a 20 min run. manged 14 mins today so will be hopeing for 15 tommorrow. good luck all x i could only manage 2.4 a few weeks ago
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ to help me figure the numbers and distance with C25K- I think mine is actually Ease into 5K. I usually add up the run time and put that down, then the walking time (don't forget your warm-up time for walking). I will also round down a little- under guess on exercise, over guess on food ;) I go for time, not distance right now, but I am pretty excited when I do distance records.
  • ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you so much. that is so helpful. I will download this weeks one now. How did you get on?

No problem (: I struggle with my breathing whilst running but I could easily continue =/ Just need to stabilise my breathing, I hope this week improves it (: Just have fun with it as well (:
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I will join in with you. I will start tomorrow :) add me if you want a running buddy
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 day shred and i have noticed that i breath different already doing that so i hope this helps me. I have so much weight to lose so i no this is going to be tough but i have been doing some exercises awhile now. So the app above for my ipod can i have music with it? I have 2 young children so i am looking forward to getting out the house for a bit by myself as well. My partner is home about 330pm today so i will go then. Its such a nice day and i can;t wait. although i am sure i will feel differently after lol. I always underestimate my exercise but i think i will get a hrm as well. thanks everyone for answering . please add me if you want to. Update your progress as well if you like
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    That is fantastic well done. I cant wait till i am week 8. So your almost done
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I am in week 8, day 2 today!!!

it is amazing what you can do!!!!!!

I ran 2.47 miles Sunday. I have never been able to even run a lap around a track before!!!

wow that is amazing. Well done you. . You are almost done as well.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I will join in with you. I will start tomorrow :) add me if you want a running buddy

Added you :)
  • littleblonde200
    Options

No problem (: I struggle with my breathing whilst running but I could easily continue =/ Just need to stabilise my breathing, I hope this week improves it (: Just have fun with it as well (:

Good luck. I worry abit with my breathing. But i will just see how i get on.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Log it as run time and walk time until you actually are running all the way.
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started it. I use the app on my phone and listen to music as I work out. I'm on week 1 day 3. I find it's a lot more enjoyable doing it outside than on the treadmill. Good luck!
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am working on it. Working being the optimal word. I can't even jog for all of day one. That's how bad my cardio is.
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I am working on it. Working being the optimal word. I can't even jog for all of day one. That's how bad my cardio is.

That is how we start though. I may be like that. but i am sure you can get there. will update how i get on later