What am I doing wrong?

Options
Could someone please take a look at my diary for days like Tuesday May 22nd 2012, which is basically one of my good days as far as diet and exercise goes. I try to do this 5-7 days a week yet I have only lost 1-2kg in the past 6 weeks.

I walk 40 minutes to and from gym. I do upper body weight training 1 day and lower body the next, usually 5-7 days a week. I burn 400 calories on the bicycle and 400 on the elliptical and measure my portions. Yet I am still not losing weight.

Do I need to eat more/less or something differently like less carbs? Or am I not doing enough exercise?

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're eating well. It seems as if you're giving yourself almost 1200 more exercise calories to eat on all of your workout days. That seems quite high. How are you calculating this? I wouldn't trust those machine readouts.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are eating ok but I am not sure about the burns also even if you burn 1000 calories why are you eating all of your calories?
    Well personally I think there can be two reasons
    1. you are eating more than what you should be (even if the burned calories are correct then try to have a deficit of few 100s) otherwise whats the point of burning the calories if you are eating them all..
    2. Try having low Sodium/salty food and more water

I also burn somewhere around 500-800 calories on good days and workout twice a day but I never eat up all my calories and its working that way for me.
    Good luck!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you are overestimating your calorie burn especially on the machines at the gym, how long are you on the elliptical and the bike? I really don't think they burn as many calories as they claim to! It's better to do more on the weights than the cardio machines, if you really push yourself on workout days you don't need to go everyday.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you overestimated kcals burned
    you have put 600 for 15 min walking?

even brisk walking would be around 75 kcals for 15 minutes, maybe 100 given you weight ower 100kg but no more
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well I weigh 110kg, and I am doing 2x40 minute walks at 3mph to and from gym and 45 minutes on the bike and 30-40 minutes on the elliptical trainer and keeping my heart rate between 120-160bpm the entire time. I set the machine for 400 calories and keep going until I get there.

When I do strength training it will typically be for 40 minutes as well and I lift as heavy as I can.. I know I have gained some muscle, but it doesn't account for not losing weight for 6 weeks.

If I calculate my BMR = 2,080 and the allowance MFP gives me 1,620 calories to eat a day that should be a deficit of 460 calories built in. And I exercise about 1000 -1200 calories and eat around 2100-2400 (which is not eating all my exercise calories back, only about half) so I think i should have an additional calorie deficit of 500 or more and if I add that to the built in deficit of MFP I should have in the order of 800-1000 calorie deficit a day which in theory should be giving me around 1kg weight loss a week.

MFP projected 6 weeks ago I'd be 103kg by now and I haven't lost any weight at all. So I don't understand what is wrong.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you overestimated kcals burned
    you have put 600 for 15 min walking?

even brisk walking would be around 75 kcals for 15 minutes, maybe 100 given you weight ower 100kg but no more

I'm only doing that because MFP doesn't seem to have "elliptical trainer" anywhere in exercises and it's easier than adding in the 2x 40 minute walks and the 400 calories the eliptical trainer says I burn in the 30-40 minutes I spend on it.

It's just me being lazy because there is no quick add calories in the exercise thing. I figure if I just put in 600 instead of 2x40 minute walks and 1 30-40 minute elliptical I'm already underestimating my calories burned so even if the machines are wrong I'm not overeating..... theoretically anyway.
  • April4th
    April4th Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I found elliptical trainer in the Exercise database. I think I also may have added the "Precor Elliptical" when I tried it once at the gym.