PROTEIN SHAKES FOR WEIGHT GAIN

Options
Hey people,

Im trying to put on a few lbs and was wondering if anyone knew some protein shakes out there with are low sugar which would help me gain weight?

Im a 20 year old female, 5'7 and 53.5kg.

Any other suggestions would be helpful especially in regards to fitness routines!

Thanks, x

Replies

• 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

May i ask for what reason in particular you want "low sugar"?
    Is it because you think this will lead to fat gain?

If you are eating above maintenance calories you will gain "weight", its not based on the sugar intake.

I prefer to make my own shakes, as you can control what you are putting into it, choose the flavour etc.

Banana + oats + peanut butter + chocolate whey + milk = high calorie and tasty!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Protein powder was invented for weight gain, but sugar is involved. Eat real food and more than you need and you'll gain.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I second that
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Get a good full fat yogurt like Fage Greek and add some Flavoured protein powder, flaxmeal and nuts..
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Take a look at different brands the protein to sugar ratio will be slightly different for all of them. a non flavored would probably have the least amount of sugar.
    Basically you can make any variation of a smoothie with your protein powder added in, I buy vanilla flavor cause I find it mixes best with all diff flavors, I am also not that adventitious with it, cause I love it with milk and a little chocolate powder, but yep I mix it with milk, never water.
    Other adds are , yoghurt, fruit, frozen fruits, juices, frozen spinach (for health not cals LOL), peanut butter, coconut oil, oats, chia seeds, malt powder etc. They are going to have sugar in them cause thats the nature of them.
    I also have a gainer shake for emergencies when I just can't make the goal, it packs a pretty good punch with something redic like 700 calories a serve, but that's 2 massive scoops. For a 1/4 recipe (half a scoop) it gives me 150 cals, over 400 with milk, but it also has 10g of sugar.
    Protein powder was invented for weight gain, but sugar is involved. Eat real food and more than you need and you'll gain.

The problem with this is that as gainers we can often have extremely high metabolism's so it can get difficult to eat up enough of the required amount of "real food" to actually gain (which is why we ended up underweight in the first place), some days a boost is helpful.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Take a look at different brands the protein to sugar ratio will be slightly different for all of them. a non flavored would probably have the least amount of sugar.
    Basically you can make any variation of a smoothie with your protein powder added in, I buy vanilla flavor cause I find it mixes best with all diff flavors, I am also not that adventitious with it, cause I love it with milk and a little chocolate powder, but yep I mix it with milk, never water.
    Other adds are , yoghurt, fruit, frozen fruits, juices, frozen spinach (for health not cals LOL), peanut butter, coconut oil, oats, chia seeds, malt powder etc. They are going to have sugar in them cause thats the nature of them.
    I also have a gainer shake for emergencies when I just can't make the goal, it packs a pretty good punch with something redic like 700 calories a serve, but that's 2 massive scoops. For a 1/4 recipe (half a scoop) it gives me 150 cals, over 400 with milk, but it also has 10g of sugar.

The problem with this is that as gainers we can often have extremely high metabolism's so it can get difficult to eat up enough of the required amount of "real food" to actually gain (which is why we ended up underweight in the first place), some days a boost is helpful.
    Don't know many people that can't eat 500 cals over maintenance, it's not much of a stretch considering 70% of the population do that anyway...unless there's some psychological or physiological problem. Anyway protein powder is great when you add a bunch of stuff to it to gain weight, it's a drink and goes down easy.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice peeps, i'll keep it in mind. Going to search for a kcal protein shake with at least 300kcals and a good balance of protein to carbs ratio. I find that if i was to eat a whole tub of peanut butter that would get the kcals but go way over on fat ect so trying to avoid that. High Kcal foods are usually high fat and sugar.
  • reppinplates
    reppinplates Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Grind oats into powder.
    Take 40g of powdered oats and 40g of standard WPC or WPI protein and mix.
    (Optional- Add tbspn Flaxseed Oil, or flakes.)

Voila. 300kcal+ Healthy, Low GI, High fibre, Protein shake.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    u kind of want the ones that are high in sugar if you want to gain weight... muscle milk would be the best option because its the cheapest, and has junk calories for weight gain... if you just get a pure protein supplement u wont gain weight unless u have a caloric surplus.. technically u dont need a protein supplement at all.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I made one this morning:

1/2 milk, 1/2 cup fat free yogurt, 2 tbsp PB, 1Tbsp honey, 4 ice cubes and a half banana. IOf course you could add protein powder or flaxseed for some fiber. I like using chocolate almond milk also.
  • wifeycrisp
    wifeycrisp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A REALLY good weight gainer protein is True Mass by BSN. Tastes like a tootsie roll! As far as workouts go - heavy weight, lower reps, which means more rest in between sets, and don't do cardio.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a bunch of recipes: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm

Also, I make shakes for my fiance (who needs more calories than I do) with a can of coconut milk instead of the fat free milk I use for mine--extra calories, extra fat, and it tastes good too.

Good luck!
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone fr your suggestions and comments, its a HUGE help! [: