Getting fit with Dance Central or video games anyone??

Options

Replies

• Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I use dance games on the Wii. It's the main form of exercise I've done so far. My favourites are Michael Jackson: The Experience, Just Dance 3 and ABBA You Can Dance :)

Michael Jackson Experience is alot of fun too. I sweat alot with that one
  • NiallsUnicorn
    Options
    I've been doing Wii Zumba Fitness 2 - It's brilliant you can burn up to 1000 calories in an hour (if you're doing the high intensity):ohwell:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Im terrified to try that level.lol usual only do a beginner workout.lol
  • lataz71
    lataz71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just got the new Zumba Rush (KInect) for Mother's Day. It is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do individual songs or do complete workouts. Let me tell you, my heart rate is through the roof and I love it. It tracks how many calories you burn (supposedly) but I don't think it's very accurate. I just enjoy the exercise and try to estimate callories burned the best I can.
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba for the Wii! It's really a good workout. I do the mid length low intensity and it kicks my hiney. (And it says I burn around 700 calories in 40 minutes)
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Dance Central 1 & 2 is a blast! I always work up a good sweat when I play. I have my favorite songs and I crank up my stereo and really get into it. When it comes to the freestyle part of the songs I usually just do a deep squat and hold it or I shadow box. It's a really good workout. I mostly use it for rainy days when I can't get to the trails.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I think I will try the Zumba fitness rush as well. I think I'm sold on it.lol
  • designingsean
    Options
    Pro tip: you can turn off the freestyle in Dance Central 2 if you want.
  • Miss_Aubrey
    Options
    I just started DC2 a week ago and LOVE it!! I burn about 400-500 per hour acc to my HRM. So It seems to be a good workout.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I lost 20lbs with wii fit (and a good diet) when it 1st came out.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use dance games on the Wii. It's the main form of exercise I've done so far. My favourites are Michael Jackson: The Experience, Just Dance 3 and ABBA You Can Dance :)

Michael Jackson Experience is alot of fun too. I sweat alot with that one

^^^This. ALOT.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am bugging DH to buy a Kinect for the xbox so I can embarrass myself playing some dance games haha. Has anyone managed a good workout with the kinect?

Honestly I HATE the BIGGEST LOSER game for the kinect because the trainer voices are annoying and the navigation through the kinect is not very smooth BUT the BOX-FIT workout is freaking amazing .... When I do box-fit on light for 20 minutes includes warm up and cool down my heart rate monitor says I burn 178 calories (not too bad for a full body workout thats quick - and light is the lowest of 4 levels I think and you can increase the time to 45 minutes I think)
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Zumba for the Wii kicks your butt....Its really fun too! I do it with the famiy on "dance night!"
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    When I had just gotten out of high school I lost a bit over 30 pounds with just DDR (dance dance revolution) and switching to diet soda. I'm planning on trying that again, this time with NO soda. :)
  • noitall96
    noitall96 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I had just gotten out of high school I lost a bit over 30 pounds with just DDR (dance dance revolution) and switching to diet soda. I'm planning on trying that again, this time with NO soda. :)

i too had lost about 30 pounds from playing ddr when i had finished high school. its a great workout.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

i too had lost about 30 pounds from playing ddr when i had finished high school. its a great workout.

It really is!
    I had to stop playing because I had sold my console a while back. But now I have an xbox 360 and I found someone selling three dance pads and two games for 40 dollars. I plan to start again. :)
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii and I have

Zumba fitness 2 (zumba core comes out in october)
    Biggest Loser 1
    Biggest Loser Challenge
    My fitness coach
    My fitness coach 2

I hear Gold Gym is pretty good too

THEY ALL WORK IF YOU DO THE WORK
  • PrettehKisses
    Options
    I like Dance Central more.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I use the kinect for dance central, kinect adventures, and the biggest loser workouts. All three are amazing workouts - you'll be plenty sweaty when you're done. I recommend the biggest loser because it has a variety of workouts from traditional calesthenics to yoga to the types of challenges the contestants do.
  • carlosdon
    Options
    i'm actually obsessed with exergaming have about 30 games. lost most of the 74 lbs over the last 4 years with help from the wii and kinect. so heres my top 10 list, hopefully this helps :)

1 dance central 2 - fun and a great work out! (kinect/xb360)
    2 ea sports active range - any of them are great but especially recommend ea sports active and more workouts on wii (various)
    3 gold gym cardio workout / my fitness coach cardio workout great if you like cardio especially boxing boxercise (wii)
    4 don king boxing (with wii jog) - you can use balance board but its not worth it. with wii jog u work up quite a sweat!
    5 wii sports - the boxing but mainly the boxing training on the punch bag, great tension release too burns loads (wii)
    6 wii fit plus - replaces the old game with more exercises. stick to the cardio, rest fun but don't burn much get a step up for bal board too, really adds to the burn (wii)
    7 kinect adventures - free with kinect and a good balance of fun and burn. (kinect/xb360)
    8 ufc trainer - really good manly workout, better for punches n weights n not a laugh a minute, but great workout when it works.
    9 fruit ninja kinect - really good fun (at first) and after the initial fun still a good work out, cheap too. (kinect/xb360)
    10 kinect sports games - calorie counter for some of these games and great fun. gd burn on most games, good mini games to reach targets too. (kinect/xb360)

as a bonus from kinect labs theres a few more, but check out the excellent junk fu, which is free and feels like a game too, break as many things until you get hit too many times. even logs calories.

also new is the kinect fitness app which logs collective calories in 10+ games including dance central 2, kinect sports 2, junk fu, just dance 3 and your shape 2012 amongst many others. very motivating.