Is it true that the fitter you are the more you sweat?

Options
I'm very fit and run a lot but my face is always drenched in sweat after my workout. I never used to sweat this much. Is this normal?

Replies

• dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well.. funny you say that, because I literally just said to my workout partner. I sweat so much more and so much more quicker than when I started in 2008... I have been consitently working 4-5 days a week, since then. My work outs change but nothing extreme.
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    I sweat ALOT!! It is gross it looks like i got out of the shower. But i know i put in a nice long hard workout in. I have heard this before from more than one person that more fit you are the more you sweat but i dont know if it is true or not..Would be interesting to know.
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In reality it is just down to the individual. However, the amount that you sweat is related directly to the amount that you drink - since generally fitter people (not necessarily lighter people) do more exercise so they tend generally to drink more water in anticipation, especially if they are athletes who are particularly aware of their liquid requirements - therefore sweat more - it's as simple as that!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is normal. The body adapts to increased workload by improving its ability to cool itself.
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is so funny! I have found that I sweat a lot easier and more since I have been working out more. I have never sweat this much in my life, although I am not sure i have ever worked this hard. Thanks for posting!
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yup same here. Never even a drop when I started off, but nowadays I need a shower BAD after a workout!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this to myself more and more lately too.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is normal. The body adapts to increased workload by improving its ability to cool itself.

this so smart! and makes so much sense! thanks!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    While your body gets more effiicient at cooling, most of your sweat rate is determined by genetics.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're able to workout harder then you were able to before so sweating more?
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am the same way....I even sweat when Im at rest....I was at a concert for my daughter and the gymnasium had to be about 90 degrees and my forehead started to sweat. I never remember sweating like this before I started wourking out. Glad its not just me.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    How, by growing more sweat glands?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The more you can raise your body temperature (and sustain) during exercise determines how much you sweat
    It's like having a very low-grade fever, great for killing off bacteria but not damaging at all (why exercise boosts immunity + improved lymphatic circulation)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    When you get into better shape, your body will require more physical work to cause the same level of exertion, and therefore, you'll sweat less when doing the same physical activities.

The reason for this is that as your body gets into better shape, it will have more muscle tissue, and your heart's muscle tissue will also become more efficient at moving blood through your body, so you will not heat up as much to do the same amount of work. You will also probably reduce your body fat percentage, which will also reduce the exertion necessary to move your body and pump blood through it. When your body is more fit, it does not heat up as easily, so you sweat less.

Evidence also suggests that obese individuals sweat more profusely than thinner individuals simply because their bodies need to work harder to complete the same physical tasks.

However, you will always sweat at least a little when exercising as it is the body's nature process to cool down.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In reality it is just down to the individual. However, the amount that you sweat is related directly to the amount that you drink - since generally fitter people (not necessarily lighter people) do more exercise so they tend generally to drink more water in anticipation, especially if they are athletes who are particularly aware of their liquid requirements - therefore sweat more - it's as simple as that!

This makes so much sense. I absolutley right. I'm going to watch to see if there is a correlation from how much I sweat to how much water I've been drinking. I think this is on the money.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I say no. In fact you sweat more when you are fat. Hell, I've seen fat people sweat from all the "exertion" it takes to eat. No lie.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    The more you can raise your body temperature (and sustain) during exercise determines how much you sweat
    It's like having a very low-grade fever, great for killing off bacteria but not damaging at all (why exercise boosts immunity + improved lymphatic circulation)

Thanks! Great info!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    my kickboxing instructor just told me the other day that the more in shape you get the more you sweat. I didn't have time to ask him why...he was to busy killing me with push ups haha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Individuals vary, but science does show that people who are fitter have better core temperature control and therefore will sweat at lower temps than the average person who isn't as fit will sweat.
    I'm not a big sweater, but I also have an issue with my skin drying out to fast causing me to have to moisturize everyday or I'll be really scaly. The good thing about that was I didn't have an acne issue as a teen!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of research and articles on sweating vs efficient sweating.

Unfit people sweat a lot as they tend to have more mass to cool

however - Fit people sweat more efficiently. I read they will start sweating during the warm up because the body knows a workout is coming so it starts the "cool off" earlier - hence pry why it seems as though you are sweating more when rather you are sweating more efficiently.