Heavy things

Options
Okay, soooo

I was doing squats today, using 30kg. I could lift it, but couldn't get down very low.
Should I go back down to 20kg (which is still difficult for me) and work on form/getting lower down, then moving up when I can do it really easily, or should I keep battering away with the 30kg and just keep trying to get lower?

Also, with chest presses and flies, I feel it in my chest the next day, but at the time I don't feel like I'm working my chest much. Is that normal?

taaaa (:

Replies

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your form should always be good, especially for squats. If your not coming down all the way then there's no point in doing the exercise because then your not working your quads properly. Even if you can only do 2-3 reps, you should always come down all the way. Make sure you pick a weight that's comfortable and don't do more than you can handle. Eventually you will be able to lift more weight. I seen a guy at the gym doing leg presses loading up 10, 45 kg plates on both sides then bring it down about 6 inches. He wasn't even working his legs, just trying to be a hero at the gym in front of everyone. My brother in law has been a body builder for years and I've learned a lot from him. As for your chest, You normally won't feel it unless your going with really heavy weights which basically goes for any body part. If you take a break and don't workout even for a week and go light on the weights, you'll still be sore the next day. Hope this helps.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Okay, soooo

I was doing squats today, using 30kg. I could lift it, but couldn't get down very low.
    Should I go back down to 20kg (which is still difficult for me) and work on form/getting lower down, then moving up when I can do it really easily, or should I keep battering away with the 30kg and just keep trying to get lower?

Also, with chest presses and flies, I feel it in my chest the next day, but at the time I don't feel like I'm working my chest much. Is that normal?

taaaa (:

Make sure when you're squatting you get to parallel at least. Form will always breakdown a little when the weight gets to a certain point. If you have to use a little less weight to keep good form then do that.

If you're bench pressing you should feel it in your chest if your form is good.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than adding on weight...I would back off and do lower weight with better form - the form part is what is going to work your muscles...if you are adding weight just to add weight and breaking form that could lead to strained muscles and that isn't good at all...

I usually have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) when I do weights...usually is it about 24 hours after...I did a heavy workout on Saturday morning (for those that Crossfit - FRAN :( ) and felt fine the rest of the day - woke up the next day just fine and about 1pm in the afternoon - BAM...OMG my inner thighs from all the squats from the thrusters....
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Haha okay. I'll go back down to 20kg and get my form tight :L

I do dumbell chest presses and I'm definately feeling it, I like 8kg which is very heavy for me, but I seem to feel it more in my arms. Same with flies, I lift 6kg and really struggle, but I seem to feel it more in my arms than chest. Hum.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than adding on weight...

To a point it is but it's also important that you make progress or what's the point? You DEFINITELY need to focus on form but not at the expense that you're scared to ever progress the weight along because of form. Work on form, be patient, and take small leaps in increasing the weight you add.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above. When I started doing bicep curls, I was going up the weights quite fast until I had a session with the trainer who pointed out my form was poor and corrected it. I immediately had to go down a few and progress has been slower since then because I'm doing the exercise properly. Bit disheartening initially so you just have to reassure yourself that, as with most body changes, gradual improvement is safer and more sustainable.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than adding on weight...

To a point it is but it's also important that you make progress or what's the point? You DEFINITELY need to focus on form but not at the expense that you're scared to ever progress the weight along because of form. Work on form, be patient, and take small leaps in increasing the weight you add.

True but the OP stated even 20kg was still difficult - so it would be better to get to the point where 20 kg wasn't difficult and he could do them right with the proper form before adding on more weight for a routine basis...

Another option would be to do most reps at the 20kg, get form straight and then throw in a few reps at higher weight at the end...rather than struggling through higher weight reps just to add weight...
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options

True but the OP stated even 20kg was still difficult - so it would be better to get to the point where 20 kg wasn't difficult and he could do them right with the proper form...

*she
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Form over matter always! That being said, try maybe 25 kg? As far as chest presses and feeling it, if you are feeling it the next day, you are "working it". I seldom feel like I am working my chest on a chest press at the time BUT I see RESULTS. If results are there, you are doing SOMETHING right! This was a great question. Many errors are made in the weight room by sacrificing form for an extra kilo.

That being said, I don't usually do a full squat due to an old knee injury. I do leg presses at about 400 lbs but more from a "stand up" position. By extending lower, I feel my knee giving me feedback even at a lower weight. My ability to do things has improved and I have been able to increase weight from when I started and my knee feels better so I know the knee seems to be getting stronger. With Squats, there is such a thing as a "half squat" which is considered a valid exercise. But if you can sustain full range (without hyper-extension of the joint), I would think that would be preferred over a partial, all other things being equal. Best wishes
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

True but the OP stated even 20kg was still difficult - so it would be better to get to the point where 20 kg wasn't difficult and he could do them right with the proper form...

*she

haha thanks :P

and thanks for all the tips guys (: