Runners--Can I take a break???

Options
I have been walking/runing for six months. I have completed a 5k, 10k and have a 1/2 in the fall. I have been running Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I am running with Team in Training and have a schedule that Ive been following. The most I have done is seven miles. I also have anemia. This week was probably the most stressful week of the whole summer and it showed in my running. I actually had to walk during my runs. This is very unusual. I have off today and am seriously thinking of not running until Thursday. I hate this defeating feeling of not being able to run. I am not hurting etc. I think I am just running on dead lets. Any suggestions? Would this be ok to take off 3 to 4 days?

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm sure you will get lots of advice from the experts but I would just say, listen to your body and if it's telling you that you need a break, then a couple of days off will do you good!!
    I hope you get to feeling better and you will be right on track for your half, you have plenty of time. :flowerforyou:
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    I've only recently gotten into running, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I had to stop for a bit because I was getting awful posterior shin splints from over-doing it.

I would say, if you feel like you need to take a break, do it before you start hurting, since you said you aren't.

Maybe just cut down to a moderate walk to stay in your groove.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I'm with willywonka... Listen to your body. About 5 years ago I did a full marathon. While in training (2 weeks before the event) I pulled something in my ankle. I felt so guilty (and nervous) about taking 2 days off that close to the marathon, but if I hadn't, I might not have healed and I might not have been able to finish. Take a break. It sounds like you've earned it :smile:

exercise.png
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I agree... take a break. Three or four days won't derail your training plan. It's not like you're going to undo all the progress you've made. You'll probably actually find the run on Thursday to be a lot easier because your muscles are rested.

Keep active during your down time though. Walk, cycle, or swim, and make sure you keep up with your strength training and stretching, even if it has to be toned down a notch or two. The key is not to stop entirely, just scale back until you're at a level where you feel comfortable again. Give yourself a breather and ease back into it when you're ready.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    TAKE A BREAK! I took the entire week before my marathon off and the entire week after and I didn't loose stamina at all... so if thats what you are worried about don't be. It may take you a run to get back into it but you will be totally fine, you should take the break. I've done this and hopped right back in so don't worry. :happy: Oh and the break helps a lot...

~Leash :heart:
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm a runner also.
    I say take a break... chances are after about 2 days you will be back and ready to run. I had to take a break recently also because I was having nerve problems in my foot. When I started running again it took me about 2 days to get back to the 10k speeds I have been running.

As most above have said- you must listen to your body. If you feel as if running is a chore that you can't "skip" then you will stop enjoying it, so taking a break here and there is perfectly acceptable! I bet you miss it before you think you will :)
    Maybe try to replace it with something else I switched to the elliptical for a bit to let my joints rest!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Take a break it sounds like your body is telling you it needs one.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, take a break!!! Listen to your body. It's so important to take it easy when your body is complaining. You will feel refreshed and ready to go after the break!! Otherwise if you keep pushing you'll end up getting sick and *having* to take it easy. Believe me, I've learned the hard way. :grumble: