Best (Healthiest) Sources of Potassium

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question last month and here is one of the responses I received. Also recommended were low sodium V8 and coconut water (check the label as some brands have more than others).

As a cardio nurse, I get this question all the time. First taking a potassium supplement is always an option IF YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU NEED TO TAKE ONE. HYPERTENSION ALONE IS NOT A REASON TO TAKE POTASSIUM. Ingesting too much potassium can cause arrhythmias so it is important to remain in contact with your pcp on what he wishes for your intake of potassium.

If you would rather include them in your food, trust me, most people are shocked at how low bananas are in potassium. Here are a list of foods for you we use at our cardiovascular heart center
    1. Tomatoes over 800
    2. Spinach over 800
    3. winter squash over 800
    4. prunes over 800
    5.potatoes over 800 (need to eat the skin)
    6. lima beans over 800

Again- your electrolytes specifically: potassium, magnesium, and calcium can alter the way your heart is able to function electrically so make sure your pcp wants you on an increassed potassium diet.There are not a ton of foods with over 800mg of potassium but there are a lot of resources of there to incorporate some in to every meal. Google search is great for that.

It's important to remember that these are amounts for cooked foods, not raw.. 1 cup of tomato juice or sauce has that much potassium. One medium raw tomato only has about 300 mg potatssium.

Also, it's 1 cup cooked spinach. Raw has much less as it takes a huge amount of raw spinach to get 1 cup cooked.

Molasses is pretty good source if you like it. 1 tablespoon as 293 mg potassium.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    [bump]
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My hubby (rugby player) gets cramps when he's playing and his trainer suggested a large banana (potassium) and a large bottle or slimline tonic water (Quinine) prior to every session/game

i do the same if i'm worrried about cramping up
  • applesauce610
    Options
    Though you may be of the mind set that you have a potassium deficiency, I would first look at your H20 consumption. If you are an active person 8 glasses of water may not cut it for you. I know for myself, I have to have a minimum of 3 liters of water a day to not feel like I'm dragging. That's 4 glasses above the daily recommended amount for adults. I'd play with your numbers on that too if you are looking at eliminating cramps.

Also if you are lifting weights or running I'd recommend getting yourself a foam roller to use before/after exercise, when you wake up in the AM and before you go to bed. This will help to keep your muscles loose and supple, removing tension that can cause cramping and knots.