Sweet potatoes

Options
LenaMena87
LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
So for the first time in my life I bought real sweet potatoes! I'm from the south and my parents and family usually prepare and cook them, but they are always sooooooo good yet so fatty and sweet.

Any advice on how to cook them and how to make them healthy yet enjoyable?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• LenaMena87
    Options
    Bump
  • qsusanevans
    qsusanevans Posts: 36
    Options
    I slice them into about 1/4 in slices, Nuke them with about 1/4 cup water. When I pull them out I put on a little salt and a little butter (I use whipped butter and use about a tea spoon). Thats it!
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, yum. Sometimes I peel them, cube them, toss them with a little olive oil and roast them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, Sometimes I bake it like you would a white baking potato. Or if it is hot out you can microwave it, make sure you prick it with a fork. A sweet potatoe needs nothing, just cut it open and scoop out the inside, yeeeeeeuuuuum. You can also sprinkle a little cinnamon on it.
  • Bry8432
    Bry8432 Posts: 37
    Options
    what does bump mean?
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    Thanks ladies :)

Bump means you want someone to see it so they can respond to you post.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just scrb the potato and bake it like a reagular potato. So yummy! I usually sprinkle some pepper or other seasonings on it. Mmm...
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just scrub, bake at 400F for 1 hr, and let it cool for 10 min, then eat without adding anything.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    "Bump" just pushes this topic back to the top of the forum list, that's all.

My favorite sweet potatoes use is to make baked fries:

Peel the potatoes and cut into fry strips - this takes some time, as SP's are HARD (Hmm, I wonder if we can log cutting SP's as cardio? Hah!)
    Toss with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. (no measurements, just eyeball it.)
    Spread onto a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.

Allow to cool about 5 minutes before eating.

If your results turn out like mine, you'll have "fries" of varying shapes and sizes, so some will have burnt ends and other will be mushy, but regardless of appearance, the flavor is fantastic. :)
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what does bump mean?

When you Bump a topic, it goes into your "My Topics" section so that you can follow that topic by easily finding it under your topics. Took me a while to get that.....
  • liljen2005
    liljen2005 Posts: 19
    Options
    add a little butter cinnamon and brown sugar(just enough to taste). Not the most healthy, but DELISH!
  • Dannib55
    Dannib55 Posts: 50
    Options
    I love SP roasted with onions and garlic. I preheat the oven to 400, peel and cube the SP, quarter an onion, add a few cloves of garlic, use 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Next place in the oven for atleast 30 mins or unitl veggies start to turn and turn veggies halfway thru cooking.
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The only way i've found to make crispy sweet potato chips, usually they just go soggy or burn:

I cut them into chips (fries), toss them in cornflour (corn starch), drizzle with olive oil, making sure they're covered (though no more than 2 tbsp) of oil, then stick them in the oven on 225c for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through.

Absolutely amazing with chipotle ketchup.
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sweet mashed potatoes. Peel, boil and mash. Very easy. Add a little milk to smooth it out and add any seasoning. Enjoy!
  • Anu_mee13
    Anu_mee13 Posts: 73
    Options
    I make sweet potato fries. I just cut them into strips, use non-stick spray or olive oil, roll them around my seasonings: paprika, cumin, a little sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, a little cinnamon, and maybe just a dash of nutmeg or apple pie spice! So they're a little sweet and spicy!!!
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Cube, spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with cinnamon and roast for about 25-30 min. at 350
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    Goodness I'm hungry now !
  • JLauterb25
    JLauterb25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wrap in foil and bake for a little over an hour. Then I slice it open, drizzle VERY LIGHTLY with honey and add chopped walnuts. It's my favorite go-to lunch or dinner!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    masedh, roasted like the other posts say :) Last night we bbqd them. Sliced wrapped in tinfoil with a little butter and spices yum :)
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I boil them and make mash sweet potatoes, I find they do not need much. I put in a splash of milk and a bit of ginger and they are great and super healthy. I love sweet potatoes.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Slice and grill them! I brush a tiny bit of olive oil on each and then salt and pepper. Sometimes I put a little cayenne on them too. Sweet potato fries are also excellent! YUM!