Any Full Time Working Mums out there??

Options
Hi
Im looking for similar people to add me as a friend ? I am a full time busy working mum to two children (5 & 3) and husband. I have been at this now for 4 weeks and doing quite well. However, I dont have a great amount of time to cook and I have a canteen in work which most days can supply me with a low cal option. I dont get home until 7pm in the evening and find it hard to mange dinners. I tend to go with simply stir fries or ready meals. Looking to see of there is anyone out there that is in a similar situation who can share meal ideas with? Thanks

Replies

• dirtchick97
    dirtchick97 Posts: 58
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am a full time working mom too, I have a 6 year old. I often don't get home till between 6:00 and 6:30, and find that by the time I cook dinner, clean the kitchen, do homework, there's just no time left for me to workout.
  • trailsinlife
    trailsinlife Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I work anywhere from 40-60 hours a week and have a 6 year old who is active in ballet, soccer, and horseback riding so finding time to do anything myself is pretty rare!
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Add me Full time working mom 1 1/2 year old and engaged. I dont get off until 10 pm. I cook dinner during the day and use the crock pot a lot. I workout after work at 10:30. Plus side I sleep like a baby lol.
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Single parent to a 15yo son and working 40hrs a week + meetings at night and extra-curricular activities my son has..

Feel free to add me too :)

My son is at the age where he's now cooking alot of the meals because he likes experimenting. He's home almost 2hrs before me so he gets alot of the stuff done before I get home which is wholeheartedly appreciated!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am also a full time working Mom of a 10 & 13 yr old. Since my kids almost always have activities right after I get home, dinner is a rush most nights. What I have been doing is either have a lot smaller portion of what I make for them or omit ingredients (like cheese) for mine. I also cook grilled chicken ahead of time and keep it in the fridge and frozen veggies in the freezer. That's a real quick meal of microwaving some veggies, mix it with a dash of olive oil, pepper, salt & garlic. That cuts out the butter and remarkably, it tastes just as good. I throw the chicken in with the veggies after their cooked. Yumm. As far as fitting in the exercise routine, I had no other choice but to go 1st thing in the morning (very early before my house is even awake). Good luck to you!
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I work full time but i get home by 3 usually. I also have a 5 year old and a 3 1/2 year old i also am married for about 6 1/2 years. The most advice i can give really is try crock pot meals. i know you can search low cal crock pot meals. that way its ready when you get home. UM..... you can also prepare all your meals for the week in one day. like prepare it then freeze it before you cook it that way the night before just put it in the fridge so it thaws a little then all you have to do it throw it in the oven or your hubby can do it. good luck
  • Kbutterly
    Kbutterly Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks Ladies,
    I have send friend requests to you all. Hopefully we can help each other out.
    I live in Dublin and My Exercise is the 9-10km walk home from Dublin city centre which I try to do at least three times a week. My hubby picks up the kids from School/Creche on the evenings I walk. ( So good ( ",) )Think I will need to start arranging my dinners the night before (or even the week before).
    Thanks x
  • ToxicXx73
    ToxicXx73 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello K.
    I am a 39 year old single, 2 job working, mom that has only been in this for a little over a week. My youngest son just graduated so as you can imagine I have been very busy with his senior year activities, on top of working two jobs and trying to provide a semi healthy meal for them. I work from 8 am - 5pm Mon-Fri, and I am at my other job by 6pm and work until between 9-10pm at night most weeknights and on the weekend. Not alot of time for shopping and cooking. However I have had to figure it out so one idea I have found that works for me is making up a menu for the week ahead of time, getting all the ingredients together that I will need for each meal, and preparing my foods in advance (usually 2-4 meals at a time, depending on what those meals are) later at night when everything else has settled down. I then package them up for the days ahead and refrigerate or freeze them. Believe it or not it takes close to the same amount of time to prepare 2 meals at once as it does to prepare one meal (at least within minutes). Be sure to label them before storage. Then it is simple to pull them out, warm them up and put them in nice serving dishes on the table with lightening speed....it also doesn't hurt with your "Super Mom/Wife" image ;)

Hope this helps!
    :)
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I work full time and am mom to 5 busy kids! suppers can be anywhere from 5:30 - 8:00 in our house, and since I live "in the country", we have many "meals in the car, in the park, in the hockey arena". The biggest challenge is healthy, quick, and something the entire family will eat --- hard combination!

Good luck -this site has been great for me!
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Full time working mom to a 5 and 3 year old as well! I feel your pain.

Friend request coming your way!
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Yes. Full time mom, federal employee, and student.
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi. Full time working mom of an almost 2 yr old and a hubby. We have been living with my mom ever since my dad passed away, so she does most of the cooking during the week, but sometimes, I just want a bowl of cereal when I get home. I agree with others that say try the crock pot....hopefully your hubby isn't as picky an eater as mine is. :) Also....cook a few days ahead and freeze and then you can just warm that up. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me. :)
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    full time working step mom to a wonderful 5 year old boy :)

Any and all moms short on time, there is a website I discovered that is a life saver sometimes. www.onceamonthmom.com Freezer meals!!
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    Working mom of two amazing boys! Feel free to add me as well...
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Mom of two boys here... I was a single mom for about 5 years as well before. :)
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    Another full-time working mom here! Luckily my job keeps to 40 hours a week. I leave the house around 7 am and get home by 5:15, so my schedule isn't too bad. I have five children - two grown and three age 9 and under. During the busy months when we have sports we do a lot of crock pot cooking. I really try hard to find low sodium options. I work out in the mornings before everyone in the house wakes up - which means I am up at 4:30-5:00 am. It works for me and provides me lots of energy to get through the day! Good luck on your journey - feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Add me!

I am a SINGLE mom of a 3 year old, I go to school full time (mon-fri 8-5) and I am also a full time student.

:o)
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    28 year old working mom to my 2.5 year old boy.

I was a SAHM for 2 years, and have just gotten back into working back in January.

Getting back into the office and out of the house really allowed me to see how much weight I had gained, so I've been working at getting healthier since March.

I also have issues with fitting in gym time between work and family.
  • spartymama
    spartymama Posts: 15
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a full time working mom of an energetic 2 year old son and my husband also works full time and owns his own business. I have a 40 minute commute to and from work so that means I don't get home till about 6 every day and we are all famished by then. I am also a vegetarian so that adds some extra challenges. I try to cook 2 casseroles on sunday, use slow cooker and sometimes give in and get take out. MFP is an awesome program, gives you the support and knowledge you need to succeed with your goals and very motivating. Good luck mama!
  • calluna78
    calluna78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hiya, I'm just new starting today, but you can count me in. I have 2 girls aged 8 and 4 and work full time, getting home around 6pm but with a lot of afterschool activities. I bought a slow cooker (crockpot) after christmas but haven't got around to using it much. I think preparation of meals, including lunches is very important.