Replies

• Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    copy and paste
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    There was actually a study done on portion sizes using different editions of the Joy of Cooking. Food scientists found several recipes that appear in all editions of the cookbook, and found that portion size went up dramatically around the same time people started using 12-inch dinner plates (I think it was the 1960s).
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I only got 2 of those questions correct thats quite concerning!
  • Darlingir
    Options
    crazy right?
  • Darlingir
    Options
    There was actually a study done on portion sizes using different editions of the Joy of Cooking. Food scientists found several recipes that appear in all editions of the cookbook, and found that portion size went up dramatically around the same time people started using 12-inch dinner plates (I think it was the 1960s).

didn't know that...interesting..
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Portioning has done so much for me! I go by serving size so much now. No fast food for me!! =) AT ALL =D
    Thanks for posting.
  • txwildfire
    txwildfire Posts: 46
    Options
    bump
  • mrscapamerica
    Options
    That's very crazy. I remember a few months ago before I started dieting, going to burger king and getting a soda. I was absolutely shocked by how big the "medium" was.
    Doing this MFP you really become more aware of portion sizes.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    very interesting and crazy!! I'm becoming more and more aware of portion sizing, but it's still a shock from time to time.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a regional thing, but I checked some of the calories on McDonalds website, and the calorie counts seem to be off. They claim 590 calories for a cheeseburger, McDonalds say 295. They claim 610 for fries, McDonalds say 330. They say 500 for a blueberry muffin, McDonalds say 300. They claim 350 for a bagel, McDonalds say 210. I do agree that portion sizes have increased, but not quite as dramatically as they're claiming (or maybe it varies from area to area. I chose McDonalds because I thought it would be standard, but maybe not?).
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I got about half right. That is why I never clean my plate at a restaurant. They give you so much as far as portions go.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I got most of the answers wrong....It's crazy how much larger portions are today...I don't eat fast food except maybe 1 time per month & this is usually a couple of my sons chicken nuggets....Other than that I stay away!!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    That is really interesting!!! That just means that the consumer needs to be that much smarter and maybe get the to go back and cut stuff in half before you start eating.
  • hebenn01
    hebenn01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hate how smalls are mediums and mediums are larges!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That explains why if I go to Fridays for a cheat meal, I can only eat half of it and have to take the leftovers home and eat them the next day over 1 or 2 meals! 2-3 meals for the price of one, yay!

It's really interesting how portions have become so big. Another really useful tip is that if you eat more slowly, you enjoy the food more and feel full on less food.
  • SweetBasil35
    SweetBasil35 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great site - thanks for sharing!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I've used this as a tool at work, showing it as a "shocker".

And as far as the eating slower thing....has never worked for me, I'm the slowest eater ever, my friends wait on me, it's embarassing, and yet my butt is still this big. lol.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wow this is badass!!!!!!! PPL need to look at this!
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    very interesting!

I got 4 lots of cals correct but not how long it took to burn them off LOL
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

A recent article in the New York Times attributed part of the reason to food becoming cheaper in the U.S. in the 1970s, which led people to buy more food and to dine out more. Restaurants have notoriously increased portion sizes.