Effective exercise plan with zero time??HELP

Options
In a nutshell I am a 28 year old single mom (8yr old and 2 yr old)
I work 8-5 Mon-Friday and 5-12 midnight on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
On the nights I dont go to my second job I come home with the kids make dinner, help with homework, household chores, etc.

My question is how do I fit in an effective exercise plan to go along with my diet. My goal is to lose 20-25 lbs by mid August

I do have a gym membership but never have a babysitter other than the nights I work :(
I own several workout DVD's including Turbo Jam and Tae Bo but not sure if cardio is the answer or how much????
Also, I had surgery approx 1 year ago that makes it alittle challenging to do anything that requires upper body strength (chest/arms) but other than that healthy

Any one have any advice??
Dont want to waste my precious time on an ineffective plan.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• sugar_cube
    sugar_cube Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    maybe include the eight year old when you do exercises? I remember doing taebo with my mom sometimes. I thought it was fun. And I know an acquaintance(20) does insanity with her little sister(10).

Cook your meals on sunday for the week. Or maybe just cook meals twice a week. That should free up some time.

30 Day Shread is like 24 min. It's not pure cardio
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It is getting to be nice out. Can you take walks/bike rides with the kids?
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Once and awhile my 8 year old loves to do Just Dance on the Wii with me...does that really count though?? LOL

And I think I am going to start doing walks in the evenning with the kids so I can at least start somewhere...has to be better than just sitting around.

Thanks Ladies
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Take them to a park/playground on the weekends, let them play and while keeping an eye on them, do this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I purchased an elliptical used off of craigslist and it paid for itself after 3 months of no gym fees! You can jump on at any time. I do best with a schedule. Even making room for 20 min a day before the kids get up would be a life changer. This would be a good option since you don't need to use much arm strength. If you want to bring strength training in, I just completed the at home workout video Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. If you do light weights, you have another great 20 min workout option. The key is making the time every day and getting into a SOLID routine.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Just Dance can be a great workout!! But you have to give it your all!!
  • sugar_cube
    sugar_cube Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Once and awhile my 8 year old loves to do Just Dance on the Wii with me...does that really count though?? LOL

And I think I am going to start doing walks in the evenning with the kids so I can at least start somewhere...has to be better than just sitting around.

Thanks Ladies
    :laugh: I'm sure Just Dance counts, at least it is better then nothing. I googled and i found a video that talked about how to burn more while playing Just Dance http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/How-Many-Calories-does-the-Wii-Just-Dance-Game-Burn/4h/ :flowerforyou: I have We Cheer 2 and by itself I don't really feel like I get any type of workout. But then i did it while running in place. That's when i started to feel something. I think i'll try playing it and doing squats/lunges/pushups in between each cheer routine.

Also, MissingMinnes idea of walking/bike riding is great. I loved family walks/rides as a kid.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting the kids to workout with you.
    Not only does it help you reach your goals, but it's setting a good example for your kids and getting them used to the idea of exercise. There are a bunch of workouts you can do with your kids: dance games, walks or bike rides, going to the playground, even stretching and calisthenics at home. (The activities would depend on the ages of your kids.) I have also seen some gyms that are geared towards kids and ahve joint child/parent classes.

You could also get up a litle earlier (it sucks, I know) and do a 30 minute workout DVD. Or do a 30 minute workout DVD in the evenings while the kids clean their room, or while the casserole is in the oven, etc.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    These are all great tips and makes me wanna look into really getting the kids moving too. You guys are great and I really appreciate it. Im off of my day job at 5 and we get home about 6 tonight....plan on working something in and starting a routine!