EM2WL - Am I thinking through this BMR and TDEE correctly?

Options
agbaeb
agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
Ok, please confirm I'm doing this correctly:

According to this...

BMR: 1347
TDEE: 2088

I should eat my TDEE (2088) - 15% = 1775 to lose weight.

I run 4 days a week (3mi on Monday, 5mi on Tuesday, 3mi on Wednesday, and a long 10 or so mi run on Saturday). I walk 3 miles 5 days a weeks as well (1 mi on each of my breaks and 1 on my lunch break with some co-workers). So... I said I was moderately active (3-5 days a week)... or would I choose something more?

Also, I eat 1775 every day whether I run or not and add calories when I'm running to make sure I reach the BMR in my net value on the days I do run? Am I looking at this correctly?

Another question: Is it smart to use the -15% or should I be picking another one? Does it matter? Why would I choose one and not the other?

Replies

• new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Looks perfect to me. As long as you're netting a few hundred above your BMR you'll do great. Just never go over your TDEE and you'll lose.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bump... so that I know if I'm doing this correctly too!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've got it right.

You might want to check out he EM2WL group on MFP. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less Lots of great info and support there.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Bump! I've been trying to figure this out too!
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Seems to me you have it figured out correctly!

BTW: we have the exact same BMR and TDEE :) I am not looking to lose, but rather turn some of my flab to muscle, so I am eating 1650 on rest days and 1850 on workout days...gonna do that for a month and see how it goes.

Good Luck!!
  • agbaeb
    Options
    Looks perfect to me. As long as you're netting a few hundred above your BMR you'll do great. Just never go over your TDEE and you'll lose.

I thought my TDEE was what I would have to eat to maintain? So, I would want to eat that - the 15% to lose and my TDEE to maintain?
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

I thought my TDEE was what I would have to eat to maintain? So, I would want to eat that - the 15% to lose and my TDEE to maintain?

Correct. Your TDEE is what you would eat to maintain, so eat 15-20% less than that. OR you you can net a few hundred more than your BMR. As long as there is a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ! So glad you asked and YES . .you are on the right track !

Let me encourage you to join the EM2WL group - there are stickys there written to help and guide folks. Tons of good information and support. I'll put a link to the group at the bottom of the page.

And remember - eating MORE is different for each person. More means not low calorie, less than your TDEE. And yes 15% cut from TDEE is a great place to start. 10 - 20% cut - depends on the person. Me .. I've been at 15/20% range, but am actually going UP to only a 10% cut. Sometimes when at a plateau - have to go UP. And I'm at the place that I need to go UP to lose. It's crazy, exciting stuff !

Come on ya'll ! Let's Get With It !

Jen

Active member of the forum group EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. Check it out ! Educate yourselves!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Easy & Accurate TDEE calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

My Blog: This Isn't My First Rodeo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN
  • agbaeb
    Options

Correct. Your TDEE is what you would eat to maintain, so eat 15-20% less than that. OR you you can net a few hundred more than your BMR. As long as there is a deficit, you will lose weight.

So, on my lowest days, I need to NET about 1547 or so and on exercise days I need to NET 1775...

I know I keep asking the same thing over and over in different ways... I guess I always struggle to net 1300... lol. YAY! Time to pig out on some good food! :)
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

So, on my lowest days, I need to NET about 1547 or so and on exercise days I need to NET 1775...

I know I keep asking the same thing over and over in different ways... I guess I always struggle to net 1300... lol. YAY! Time to pig out on some good food! :)

Try not to over think this. If your BMR is accurate, I would think that around 1500 on sedentary days is great. And when you work out, eat those calories.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
  • agbaeb
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump too! I'm confused and kinda scared to up my calories...
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

I know it's scary, but if you think about it, it makes sense. As long as you're at a deficit you'll lose weight. If your metabolism is messed up from eating low calorie for a long period of time, you may gain at first. So, my advice is to start slow. Up your calories maybe 100-200 a day and see what happens. There's a ton of info and support groups here on MFP.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I know it's scary, but if you think about it, it makes sense. As long as you're at a deficit you'll lose weight. If your metabolism is messed up from eating low calorie for a long period of time, you may gain at first. So, my advice is to start slow. Up your calories maybe 100-200 a day and see what happens. There's a ton of info and support groups here on MFP.

Thank you :) I've been doing lots of reading on it this afternoon so it's a little less scary lol! I looked up my TDEE and BMR and adjusted MFP. TDEE minus 15-20%... so from what I can gather as long as I stay within that number and my BMR, I should be alright... ??
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

Thank you :) I've been doing lots of reading on it this afternoon so it's a little less scary lol! I looked up my TDEE and BMR and adjusted MFP. TDEE minus 15-20%... so from what I can gather as long as I stay within that number and my BMR, I should be alright... ??

Yes, you should be alright. However unless you know your true TDEE, i.e., wearing a BodyFit Media, stay closer to your BMR until you figure out what your number is.