Meals to share with young children?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrscapamerica
    Options
    My sister didn't/doesn't like milk either, but will happily drink a smoothie or milkshake - might be worth a try, if you haven't already. Our biggest 'success' involved milk, frozen blueberries, a little ground cardamom or cinnamon and a banana. Otherwise, yoghurt, cheese...

I have a great recipe for oat-based pancakes, which I will happily send you, if you'd like? Very good, nutritionally, and lots of fibre. Relatively low in terms of daily calorie percentages for you, but quite high for a toddler.

Edited to add recipe:

To make two large pancakes or four small ones (serves two). Half the mix is approx. 300 calories, assuming you don't drown them in butter when you cook them - you do need a little, though. Dry-frying does not work well. They also freeze fantastically, and you can defrost them in the toaster, or overnight, and then toast to heat through...

1/2 cup of giant rolled oats (NOT the fine milled ones, but anything else will be fine - the bigger the better, though)
    approx. 4tsp demerara/soft brown sugar ( to taste)
    1tsp baking powder
    1/4-1/2 cup of flour - I usually start with 1/4 and add a little more if necessary before cooking
    (optional: spices - I usually throw in some mixed spice, dried fruits/fresh fruits, nuts, seeds...)

1 egg and 75-125ml milk per 1/2 cup of oats

Combine dry ingredients - flour required is slightly variable dependent on the absorption of the oats you are using. Add egg and milk, stir, and leave to soak for a few minutes. Melt a little butter in a frying pan and cook pancakes on both sides. 1/2 cup of oats makes 2 large pancakes or 4 small - I eat one half the recipe for a normal breakfast, the whole for a substantial meal if going skiing/hiking etc. Top with maple syrup/golden syrup/honey/fruit jams/fresh fruit/bacon...

Absolutely delicious, and quick if you pre-prepare a whole jar of the dry mix - then it's just add liquid/egg and cook.

Thanks! I love the smoothie idea. I think she will really take to that.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you need to "fatten" her up try peanut butter. That's what I have to do with my daughter because she eats very little. Avocado would work too if she'll eat it.

Nothing compares to the power of whole milk for this purpose. Milk is grow juice.

She LOVES avocado and peanut butter so I will have to try to give her those more often.
    The only thing she won't touch is milk. I've tried everything. Plain, in cereal, even flavored. Nothing. The Ped. thinks that's part of why she's so little.

have you tried the vanilla silk soy milk? My daughter prefers it over regular milk. It is a little sweeter, but not by much. The original is a little bit sweeter too. It also has more protein than regular milk and doesn't cause constipation in kids like dairy milk can in kids.

My son really enjoys the "fruit and protien" Silk soy milk, he calls it "Smoothie" because that's what it tastes like... And the vanilla almond milk by Almond Breeze. But, he'll also drink dairy milk, just not to the extent he'll drink the others.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old, 4 year old, and 9 year old. We don't do a whole lot of variety for breakfast and lunch. For breakfast, they can choose between oatmeal, cereal (kix or honey bunches of oats), or eggs. For lunch, their fave is a simple pb&j. Whole wheat bread, all fruit jelly, and peanut butter with a side of goldfish and then some grapes and strawberries.

All 3 of my kids LOVE to make their own homemade pizza. I start them with a small, whole wheat thin crust and then they can load it with a ton of healthy options.

Kids are pretty simple.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas (make yours on whole wheat w/ less cheese).
    Whole wheat English muffin pizzas (again, less cheese on yours, lower fat meat). You can also use tortillas as crust.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - oats or other porridges, omelettes, cereal and fruit, whole grain waffles, pancakes or french toast with pure maple syrup or fruit compote

Lunch - homemade soup, peanut butter sandwich and a piece of fruit, leftovers from dinner, whole grain pasta with marinara, bean burrito on whole grain tortilla, chicken, egg or tuna salad, omelette, hummus and crackers with a piece of fruit
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My 1.5 year old isn't very picky, except with veggies. She will eat them if they're part of something else, but not very often if they're just by themselves. And she almost always will eat something if she sees us eating it too.

To get more veggies in I make a lot of "one pot" type meals. Omlets are great - I put tons of different veggies in (broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peas, carrots, tomatos, onions, peppers, etc). I also do things like chicken & biscuits (or chicken pot pie) - I just don't eat as many biscuits to cut cals, pot roast with sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and tomatos, stews/soups, and quesadillas. I use the recipe feature on MFP a lot and count out the portions before anything is served so I know what I'm getting on my plate.

Since she doesn't drink milk, have you tried full fat dairy in other forms? Yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese? I like the smoothie idea for getting some whole milk into her as well, if she'll eat it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My kids don't drink much milk and they're huge. They don't need milk in order to grow (protein is more important for growth) as long as they're getting enough nutrition from their food. If she likes yogurt, give her that. Cheese is good too. Just make sure it's organic. Calcium can also be found in lots of vegetables, especially leafy greens and broccoli.

My kids (3 1/2 and 2) love steel cut oats. I make it with dried cranberries, chopped almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon, or bananas, chopped walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

They also love bacon and eggs with hash browns, or omlettes with bacon, mushrooms, and avocado. Most mornings I make a smoothie with orange juice, a banana, frozen strawberries, and frozen blueberries.

For lunches, my kids usually get sandwiches. Either peanut butter and jelly, or meat and cheese. They get fruit and veggies on the side. They really like salad, which I make with spinach, romaine, sugar plum tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, avocado, crimini mushrooms, and a little ranch dressing.

Broccoli, cauliflower and lima beans are great with a little cheese sauce. Martha Stewart has a great recipe on her website for a zucchini and yellow squash gratin that is delicious. Stir-frys with rice are also really great.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Man I'm getting loads of ideas on this thread! :laugh:
  • mrscapamerica
    Options

Me too! This is perfect.
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Me too! This is perfect.
    My daughter eats almost anything (unlike my two boys) so think we'll be trying some new lunches out!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas (make yours on whole wheat w/ less cheese).
    Whole wheat English muffin pizzas (again, less cheese on yours, lower fat meat). You can also use tortillas as crust.

Oh yes! My kids love quesadillas too....and they are SUPER easy!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you need to "fatten" her up try peanut butter. That's what I have to do with my daughter because she eats very little. Avocado would work too if she'll eat it.

Nothing compares to the power of whole milk for this purpose. Milk is grow juice.

She LOVES avocado and peanut butter so I will have to try to give her those more often.
    The only thing she won't touch is milk. I've tried everything. Plain, in cereal, even flavored. Nothing. The Ped. thinks that's part of why she's so little.

Well that and she being a picky eater. MY 3.5 years old daughter doesn't drink much milk, and she is consistently 90%tile in height and 50%tile in weight. She eats a lot of different meats and veggies. In fact, our pedi said it was ok that she doesn't drink milk as long as she is getting enough calcium. My 2 years old son, on the other hand, drinks quite a bit of milk and he is skinny and only 25%tile in weight. Height-wise, he is average at 50%tile

Breakfast - eggs are big hit in our house (scrambled and hard boiled). Oatmeal, which we usually gives with proteins, so either with eggs or meats leftover from dinner. Pancakes. Cereals

Lunch - drumsticks are big hit. Chicken veggies stir fry are my son's favorite. My daughter loves broccoli with shrimp. Fish (grilled, steamed or pan-fried) with rice. Ham and cheese sandwich. Chicken banh mi sandwich. Chicken chow mein. Noodle soup.